Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Memorial Project

Memorial Project

Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:06 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Post Memorial Project

I came across this site hoping to find a photo of a WWII grave.

British Memorial Project

This is one good reason to use the internet... I found details and located my Uncle's Grave Unfortunately he was killed evacuating Dunkirk, but my Nan and Aunty Sis never forgot him and I have always wondered if I could find out more... My nan had his Dorsetshire regiment number memorised and we never found it. 2nd Bn., Dorsetshire Regiment

Now I have it and maybe one day I can put more information together for my future generations.

Pretty sure they'll never forget me...
Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:28 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Memorial Project

That is touching. So much family history is lost when someone goes, I'm so glad you found him. It has always worried me that there were men there, and their relatives didn't know.
My family didn't leave anyone there at Dunkirk, although my grandfather may have been the last civilian evacuated from there. I wish I had met him but.... that story is in my blog.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
That is touching. So much family history is lost when someone goes, I'm so glad you found him. It has always worried me that there were men there, and their relatives didn't know.
My family didn't leave anyone there at Dunkirk, although my grandfather may have been the last civilian evacuated from there. I wish I had met him but.... that story is in my blog.
I ask/beg for photographs from family all the time... I'd be worried they would be lost if I were them too.

My kids and I are completely alone over here... My husband has a huge family that are so in your face I would LOVE to forget them sometimes! I think it is only fair that my side of the family is represented as well.

I think I'll type a few letters today and see if I can catch someone in a giving mood.

I'll have to get it across that I can have them copied without the negatives. Older generations are hard to convince.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:06 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrigieDarling
I ask/beg for photographs from family all the time... I'd be worried they would be lost if I were them too.

My kids and I are completely alone over here... My husband has a huge family that are so in your face I would LOVE to forget them sometimes! I think it is only fair that my side of the family is represented as well.

I think I'll type a few letters today and see if I can catch someone in a giving mood.

I'll have to get it across that I can have them copied without the negatives. Older generations are hard to convince.
I have a lot that my mother brought out, but a lot disappeared when she became senile, she hid it from us, well. I have to get a new scanner and copy them onto CDs for the family. I need to do it so my SIL can supply the information for my wifes family.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I have a lot that my mother brought out, but a lot disappeared when she became senile, she hid it from us, well. I have to get a new scanner and copy them onto CDs for the family. I need to do it so my SIL can supply the information for my wifes family.
Good luck!

I have a list of 10 graves that are local to me that I've offered to photograph for families overseas.

Should make for an interesting weekend huh?

Do you think it would be OK if I put a Union Jack next to the headstone? Flowers?