Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:33 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

As the blurb says for the US section of this forum. Well, I don't want to be a moaning minnie but, having just noticed that, I have to disagree. (Hey, it gives me something to moan about, right? ha ha).
So far, in my (admittedly limited experience) America is so far from a 'melting pot' of cultures, creeds, religion and races that it is untrue.
Anyone who has ever ridden a bus will tell you the same. African Americans avoid Caucasian Americans, or Europeans, studiously. They live in financially, socially and, dare I say it educationally separated neighbourhoods. Latinos don't even bother. America is so much more segregated than even the UK, with it's inherently seperationalist island culture, that to call it (the USA) a melting pot is laughable. A melting pot suggests everyone mixes up and gets along just fine and dandy. That doesn't seem to be the case.
I may be wrong here and invite opinions on this. So far I have seen nothing but segregation and suspicion of other cultures and creeds. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Melting Pot Of The Western World?

It doesn't feel quite as bad as that around here.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:49 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
It doesn't feel quite as bad as that around here.
Not at all, and not around here, But I have heard that 'melting pot' theory all of my life, like all UK folk growing up on westerns and Hollywood movies I thought it was one big happy family; the blacks were freed and everyone lived happily ever after etc etc. Just questioning the melting pot thing. I mean, c'mon? Get a bus downtown late at night lol. It aint like croc dundee in NYC and the 'hood' aint really full of guys like Chris Rock and Ice Cube in Friday. I thought Moss Side was bad. Uh uh, Naa, etc, Moss Side is heaven compared!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:54 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Not at all, and not around here, But I have heard that 'melting pot' theory all of my life, like all UK folk growing up on westerns and Hollywood movies I thought it was one big happy family; the blacks were freed and everyone lived happily ever after etc etc. Just questioning the melting pot thing. I mean, c'mon? Get a bus downtown late at night lol. It aint like croc dundee in NYC and the 'hood' aint really full of guys like Chris Rock and Ice Cube in Friday. I thought Moss Side was bad. Uh uh, Naa, etc, Moss Side is heaven compared!
I've taken plenty of buses late at night. My pet peeve is not the blacks, but the arrogant white prima-donnas talking loudly on their mobile phones. In my line of work I deal with people from all over the world, and the only ones who really make me hate my job are the spoilt (white) Jersey brats........
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:55 am
Account Closed

It's good to see things for yourself. The US has a fantastic PR machine don't it? People like Chis Rock and Ice Cube live in beautiful gated estates lol
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

So, rather than how it "feels", how many of you have racial minorities as neighbours, which would be a better measuring stick.

In our street there are two hispanic families, the other 18-20 are white.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mrs Danvers
So, rather than how it "feels", how many of you have racial minorities as neighbours, which would be a better measuring stick.

Our immediate neighbourhood is very white, with one Black and one Indian family. The woman opposite is going out with a rap artist

The kids' schools are more mixed racially and seem harmonious, in the course of one of the endless girl troubles though I was told that Latinos don't like Blacks, cannot substantiate that.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:12 am
Bugger Off!

Though not completely understanding your post, I must take exception as I am now an official ethnic minority in the true sense of the word. I want certain rights dang it lol. If anyone fancies a bit of a march somewhere or other let me know. Otherwise I want British ghettos and I want them NOW!!! ))))
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:13 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

At least 3 black families and quite a few Hispanic.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:25 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
At least 3 black families and quite a few Hispanic.
We may have lost the point of my original post here. I was not trying to get everybody to justify living in the US along side nations of people living at third world levels in one of the richest western nations on the planet - merely querying the 'melting pot' theory.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:29 am
Account Closed

We may have lost the point of my original post here. I was not trying to get everybody to justify living in the US along side nations of people living at third world levels in one of the richest western nations on the planet - merely querying the 'melting pot' theory.
I think melting pot originally referred to people of all ethnic backgrounds absorbing and living "the American Way". This seems currently less attractive to some groups.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:37 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by Sally
I think melting pot originally referred to people of all ethnic backgrounds absorbing and living "the American Way". This seems currently less attractive to some groups.
Sheeeit Sally, that is controversial!!!! The American Way? Explain? (Oh dear, is this becoming an actual forum convo rather than the usual lets stop discussing and talk about the weather in various different states scenario ha ha)
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:39 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

I know but the thread was evolving into something else and Mrs Danvers asked a question which I answered.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:42 am
Account Closed

Sheeeit Sally, that is controversial!!!! The American Way? Explain? (Oh dear, is this becoming an actual forum convo rather than the usual lets stop discussing and talk about the weather in various different states scenario ha ha)
I shall give you a reasoned answer tomorrow.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 5:42 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I know but the thread was evolving into something else and Mrs Danvers asked a question which I answered.
Apols - I will read back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.