Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Meltdown regarding F1 visa denial

Meltdown regarding F1 visa denial

Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:16 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meltdown regarding F1 visa denial

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
At USC which is my top choice, I can as a limited status student but only if I already had a visa to be in the US, as they don't offer I20s for that - otherwise they let you do it at the same time as the masters in the first semester but I am worried that would be too big of a course load.
FWIW and somewhat OT. The initials "USC" are used for both the University of Southern California and the University of South Carolina. Which one is meant is usually ascertained from context. From the context of your post, I know you mean the one in Los Angeles.

[BTW, in playful rivalry, UCLA people refer to the "University of Spoiled Children" or "Figueroa Tech." ]
Old Dec 13th 2011, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Ah oops, yes you're right, I meant Southern California.

That's funny, now the question is, what do I call the UCLA students back if I get in to USC? Although, UCLA only do a public policy masters, otherwise I probably would've applied there too!
Old Dec 14th 2011, 2:52 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I've only observed inter-campus rivalries as a spectator. One of my offspring did her undergraduate work at a traditional "rival" of where she did her graduate work -- this little prank was a result of the rivalry. I can tell you from personal observation that the "brass rat" is no longer on the cannon. [FWIW, during the graduation ceremony, the damn gun is fired every time a Fleming House resident is handed their degree -- it is two court yards over].

All jesting aside, the way you describe your plans, they look approvable to me -- I was quite serious in suggesting you contact Mr. Green. Sometimes a second look can change things.
Old Dec 14th 2011, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Thank you, I just emailed him. Fingers crossed he may be able to help or offer some advice! The community college have said they can write a letter of support but i'm not entirely sure how that could help. The only thing that really worries me is that if I reapply and get a second denial, it will make everything so much worse and I will be unable to use VWP and hurt my chances of getting an F1 in the summer.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
I've only observed inter-campus rivalries as a spectator. One of my offspring did her undergraduate work at a traditional "rival" of where she did her graduate work -- this little prank was a result of the rivalry. I can tell you from personal observation that the "brass rat" is no longer on the cannon. [FWIW, during the graduation ceremony, the damn gun is fired every time a Fleming House resident is handed their degree -- it is two court yards over].

All jesting aside, the way you describe your plans, they look approvable to me -- I was quite serious in suggesting you contact Mr. Green. Sometimes a second look can change things.
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I spoke to Adam Green and he referred me to someone in London. Spoke this afternoon and she recommended that I leave the visa for now as i'm unlikely to get it and hurting my chances of getting a new ESTA in the future or visa for my Masters. I am panicking a little now though because she also said I may have trouble getting my masters visa this summer...really hope it'll be ok!
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
this little prank was a result of the rivalry. I can tell you from personal observation that the "brass rat" is no longer on the cannon.
More importantly, what the dickens is that bloke doing spoiling the penultimate picture on that page? http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/2...dez-coed.1.jpg
Old Dec 18th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Commentator

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
Thank you very much for the suggestion. I spoke to Adam Green and he referred me to someone in London. Spoke this afternoon and she recommended that I leave the visa for now as i'm unlikely to get it and hurting my chances of getting a new ESTA in the future or visa for my Masters. I am panicking a little now though because she also said I may have trouble getting my masters visa this summer...really hope it'll be ok!
Sorry to hear the result -- but it is always good to have good information. This forum is often a good source, but not always.