Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mel Gibson's "Passions" movie

Mel Gibson's "Passions" movie

Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:58 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Mel Gibson's "Passions" movie

Has anyone see the "Passions of Christ" movie, or intends to see it? Apparently it's just about broken even on it's first day of screening. (Gibson spent $30 million of his own money to film it and to publicise and distribute it)

Over here in the New York Metro area there is a furore going on. Many of the local cinemas (including in my town) have had churches and synagogues block-booking tickets to see it, and having discussion forums afterwards. I just can't imagine such a scenario taking place in the UK - I wouldn't be at all surprised if the film is a flop there since most people in Britain don't have strong feelings about religion!

It's being endlessly discussed on the talk shows on the radio and it seems that many Jews (who haven't yet seen the movie!) are up in arms about it being anti-semetic. Jeffrey Katzenburg and David Geffen who head up Steven Speilberg's division of "Dreamworks" are angry about the film and there are rumours that Gibson won't get work in Hollywood again. Seems like an over-reaction to me.

I don't think I'll see the film myself as it sounds too much blood and gore, but my husband (who considers himself agnostic/athiest) wants to see it.

Here's the local reaction:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/16617.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/26/movies/26GIBS.html (You might have to register to read New York Times articles though).
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mel Gibson's "Passions" movie

Originally posted by Englishmum
Has anyone see the "Passions of Christ" movie, or intends to see it? Apparently it's just about broken even on it's first day of screening. (Gibson spent $30 million of his own money to film it and to publicise and distribute it)

Over here in the New York Metro area there is a furore going on. Many of the local cinemas (including in my town) have had churches and synagogues block-booking tickets to see it, and having discussion forums afterwards. I just can't imagine such a scenario taking place in the UK - I wouldn't be at all surprised if the film is a flop there since most people in Britain don't have strong feelings about religion!

It's being endlessly discussed on the talk shows on the radio and it seems that many Jews (who haven't yet seen the movie!) are up in arms about it being anti-semetic. Jeffrey Katzenburg and David Geffen who head up Steven Speilberg's division of "Dreamworks" are angry about the film and there are rumours that Gibson won't get work in Hollywood again. Seems like an over-reaction to me.

I don't think I'll see the film myself as it sounds too much blood and gore, but my husband (who considers himself agnostic/athiest) wants to see it.

Here's the local reaction:

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/16617.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/26/movies/26GIBS.html (You might have to register to read New York Times articles though).
One of the hosts of Crossfire (CNN) last night made a very interesting point to a Rabbi who was complaining that the movie was designed to inflame anti-Jewish sentiment. He asked him why no-one complained about Mel Gibson's other movie, "Braveheart" - after all, it portrayed the English as a pretty cruel and devious lot, but no-one complained or believed that it would lead to anti-English sentiment.

It may be that someone who already harbors anti-Jewish feelings may go to the movie to fuel their own fire, but I can't see how it is going to turn a regular person into an anti-semite.

I have not seen the movie yet, so if there's something I'm missing, anyone who has seen both movies please tell me what it is about this film that differentiates it from Braveheart in that respect.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen it yet either. However, I have seen both "Bravehart" and "Patriot". The latter film (imho) made the British seem far more cruel than the first. With that in mind, I don't think Brits have anything to worry about with this film. There's no way a film about Christ's crucifixion could make the British look bad.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough
Talking

I really liked Martin Lawrence's humor near the end. But I really think they overdid it on the CGI. Especially during the climactic battle scene in new york.

Angelina Jolie was hot as always tho!

-= nav =-
Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm a non believer. I've not been to see it and from everything I've read it sounds like a two hour torture film designed to make Christians feel more luvved up for Christ.

Each to their own, but I have to admit it's driving me crazy here in DFW listening to all the people of religious inclination going on and on about it. People are taking their kids to see it. That is just wrong in my honest opinion. Even if you believe it's true, surely those kind of graphic images are too much for small minds to take on board.

I don't want to offend anyone who does believe so there isn't a lot more I can actually say but I imagine there would be a bit of a stink if this gore fest was about anyone other than Christ.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:52 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
I imagine there would be a bit of a stink if this gore fest was about anyone other than Christ.
Amen to that!
Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:28 am
JeanDupont

I have a problem going to see any movie where I know what the ending is going to be....that's why I did not go to see Titanic either.
It may be a great movie but having been subjected to and just about survived a religious education I don't need or want any more anguish.

Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DaveC
Amen to that!

There's nothing wrong with a good gore fest. I just loved Freddy vs Jason.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:25 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, there was a woman in Kansas ( cnn.com news story ) that died of a heart attack while watching the movie, right at the moment when they drove the nails into Christ's hands. There was another guy who also suffered a non-fatal heart attack. It's incredible how something can inject such a huge response like this. They showed on the news here the people sitting in the movie theater all crying and raising their hands in prayer, like they were in a trance. To be honest this is what puts me off going to see the film. As a Jew, I am interested in the stance of the film, but I dislike Mel Gibson immensely, as he has been known to be both homophobic and anti-semitic...the two very things that I am. Maybe I'll wait to see it until it goes on TV. I like the jewelery though..the offical merchandise for the movie. They are selling silver nails on a leather thong that look quite gothic, and are supposed to represent the nails that crucified Christ. If it wasn't associated with this film I might buy them!

Last edited by Rockgurl; Feb 27th 2004 at 7:34 am.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:01 pm
cute as a button

Poppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant futurePoppy33usa has a brilliant future

I went to see it when it opened here...Im not a religious person but did enjoy it...it was REALLY graphic though..there was a couple of points in the film where I just thought thats enough already ..... I am an avid horror film fan and it still turned my stomach....saying that its still a good film, and me and hubby (both agnostics) had a nice little discussion about it afterwards....but yes it is mainly a 2 hour film about Jesus having the crap beat out of him by everyone and anyone!

."I have not seen the movie yet, so if there's something I'm missing, anyone who has seen both movies please tell me what it is about this film that differentiates it from Braveheart in that respect." Dunroving

as far as the comparison to Braveheart, I didnt see any difference in between the two films - the jews, as far as I am concerned, are not portrayed any differently in this film than they are in any other film I have seen about the crucifiction...and certainly not any worse than the english were portrayed in Braveheart!...but thats just my opinion

Poppy
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:58 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward to seeing it this weekend with the wife. Glad to see the title role doesnt feature a Charlton Heston type character though. I like Mel Gibson, he's not afraid to upset the PC brigade and it's clear that this was something he had a personal intrest in making...after all he put a ton of his own money into the project and a religious movie is a big risk in this day and age.
I'm sure he wont lose any sleep if atheists don't go to see his film
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:12 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tony_2003
Looking forward to seeing it this weekend with the wife. Glad to see the title role doesnt feature a Charlton Heston type character though. I like Mel Gibson, he's not afraid to upset the PC brigade and it's clear that this was something he had a personal intrest in making...after all he put a ton of his own money into the project and a religious movie is a big risk in this day and age.

According to what I read this morning, Gibson said the film was "directed by the Holy Ghost". Explains quite a bit really. :scared:
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:15 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1
There's nothing wrong with a good gore fest. I just loved Freddy vs Jason.
I would have liked to have seen Tarantino direct The Passion! With Samuel L Jackson as Jesus.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 2:19 pm
Wurzel turned redneck

nxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of lightnxylas is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Mel Gibson's "Passions" movie

Originally posted by dunroving
One of the hosts of Crossfire (CNN) last night made a very interesting point to a Rabbi who was complaining that the movie was designed to inflame anti-Jewish sentiment. He asked him why no-one complained about Mel Gibson's other movie, "Braveheart" - after all, it portrayed the English as a pretty cruel and devious lot, but no-one complained or believed that it would lead to anti-English sentiment.
I think they did, and they were right. Racist attacks on English people living in Scotland have apparently increased since that film came out, to the point that they are now second only to the Asian community in complaints to the Commission for Racial Equality.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tony_2003
Maybe it's just me but I've never had religion thrown in my face as much in my life as I have in the last eleven months here in America. That's saying quite a bit as I was brought up LDS.

I don't think this film was as much of a risk as people are saying it was. Given the religious fervour here, I don't see how it could have flopped too badly. Even if it hadn't taken off on the big screen the DVD sales (and that is where the big money is) would have sorted it out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.