Reload this Page >

Medicare Query

Medicare Query

Old Feb 2nd 2014, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

ampypoole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medicare Query

Can anyone help answer a query.

My wife is a us citizen and we are going to move back to the us,,i am a british citizen, would I qualify for medicare through my wifes citizenship.

Thanks

Andy
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicare Query

Sorry, I don't have much of an answer for you, but to get a useful answer it would be helpful to know if you work, and are going to seek work in the US, and if so for roughly how long, or if you are already retired.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

ampypoole is an unknown quantity at this point

I plan to retire before going to the usa
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:39 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ampypoole

My wife is a us citizen and we are going to move back to the us,,i am a british citizen, would I qualify for medicare through my wifes citizenship.

Thanks

Andy
Here is a similar question answered on the AARP web site http://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-...estion_75.html

Your wife does need to be eligible to claim her Social Security benefit, ie she must be 62 or older. She doesn't have to claim SS just be able to do so.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 6:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ampypoole

Thanks

Andy
The answer will depend on whether your wife worked in the US and obtained at least 40 credits via payroll. These credits go towards Social Security and Medicare eligibility.

The average person obtains 4 credits a year so its the equivalent to approx 10 years work. If so, and she is over 62 and eligible for Social security then you could be eligible for Medicare based on her contributions.

If not, you will be able to apply for health insurance under the Affordable Care Act.

See here for details on eligibility for Medicare and input your wife's details.

http://www.medicare.gov/eligibilitypremiumcalc/
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What about the prescription bit, part D and the costs? Or have those all changed up a lot now?
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 4:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What about the prescription bit, part D and the costs? Or have those all changed up a lot now?
Depends how you do it, and the plan you choose. Here Part D ranges from $0 to about $100, depending on the agreement between Medicare and the insurer.

I pay Providence $61 a month for part C & D, and get a $40 a month membership to a gym for "free" included. My insurer handles all my Medicare claims even for part A & B. Those charging $0 for part D make their money on the difference they pay local providers and the rate Medicare reimburses them at for part A & B.