Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical in Toronto 10/16/02, MDS

Medical in Toronto 10/16/02, MDS

Old Oct 18th 2002, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

eiloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical in Toronto 10/16/02, MDS

Here's my experience for my medical that I had yesterday at MDS Executive Health in Toronto. I was there a half hour early since I was roaming around downtown and decided to see if they could see me earlier. As there was no one else before me, I was first in line. The receptionist provided me with 2 forms to complete, one for an authorization to test for HIV, the other was a general health questionaire. She then takes your two passport sized photos, passport and case letter to prepare other paperwork for the next stages of the appointment.

After completing the forms, I was handed the plastic bottle for a urine test. I was then greeted by another lady (I'm sure they're all nurses or of some medical background but I didn't ask of their position.) who took me to a small room where she could take one vial of blood. She was nice enough to even ask which arm I'd like it taken out of. After that was done, she asked me to stand a distance away from the eye chart and covering one eye, I was to read the last line on the chart. I'm near-sighted and didn't have a problem reading that line. Pretty straight-forward. After the eye test, she took me to this "secret" elevator in the back of MDS that needs a passcard to operate. She had me go in and sent me to the basement for my x-ray. I had the x-ray form she gave me after she checked my eyes with me to give to the x-ray technician. X-ray taking was standard procedure as always, just a chest x-ray was taken and then sent back up the elevator to MDS to wait for Dr. Seit (pronounced "sight") for the physical. He checks weight, height, the forms you filled out when you first arrived. Asks you to be right down to your underwear. Takes your blood pressure, checks, eyes, nose, ears, has you lie down and uses his stethoscope all over. He took a look at 'junior' (as I am male) and was told that it takes 2 business days for me to receive my results. He will call if there is anything wrong with the blood tests and/or x-ray. As the walls are quite thin there, there was another gentlemen he was administering to before myself and I heard that they were testing for HIV and syphillis <sp?>. I was then sent on my way. If you do need other shots, MMR or DTP, then I believe that will be administered before you see Dr. Seit. I had taken a letter that my family doctor wrote for me saying that I was up-to-date with my immunizations. That was sufficient enough for them to skip all those needles. So and hour and a half later and $190 lighter in the wallet, I was done. You can have your package couriered to you (I believe at your cost) or you can elect to pick it up. They will give you a number to call just to make sure your results are ready.

Best of luck to all.

Ian