Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance in the US

Medical Insurance in the US

Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

AmeriBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Medical Insurance in the US

We are moving to the States in March 2005, and we are at a loss on what to do about the Medical Inurance aspect of it all. We are a US and UK citizen who both reside in Liverpool at the moment. We are looking for short term coverage, 3-6 months preferably. We will be moving to New York state. Unfortunately, in our research we have found very few (if any) companies offer short term coverage in New York state. If anyone has any links or numbers to any useful sites or companies any help will be appreciated.

As for travel insurance...

We have found out that most travel insurance company policies will not cover one way flights. As stated before we are UK-US citizens looking for coverage on a one way flight to the states. Some companies we have bene told will cover you for the flight only, because once you pass through passport control the policy becomes invalid. If anyone knows of any companies/websites that cover one way travel please let us know!!

Thanks for all your help!!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:09 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance in the US

Originally Posted by AmeriBrit
We are moving to the States in March 2005, and we are at a loss on what to do about the Medical Inurance aspect of it all. We are a US and UK citizen who both reside in Liverpool at the moment. We are looking for short term coverage, 3-6 months preferably. We will be moving to New York state. Unfortunately, in our research we have found very few (if any) companies offer short term coverage in New York state. If anyone has any links or numbers to any useful sites or companies any help will be appreciated.

We have found out that most travel insurance company policies will not cover one way flights. As stated before we are UK-US citizens looking for coverage on a one way flight to the states. Some companies we have bene told will cover you for the flight only, because once you pass through passport control the policy becomes invalid. If anyone knows of any companies/websites that cover one way travel please let us know!!

I'm pretty sure this question was asked and answered as recently as the last four weeks on this very forum. Please do a search in the USA forum for answers.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Bushranger is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been through something similar. Best of luck

My wife and I managed to get BlueShield temporary cover (hospital emergency only) - while waiting to become qualified for better coverage through our employers. (I won't bore you with the details of why this was delayed as it is not relevant)

The process was painful. If you can find anyone other the Blue Shield do so. Or star the application process early...However, I think it was about $130 a month per person - so that wasn't even cheap Without Social Security numbers or credit history you don't exist..
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm pretty sure this question was asked and answered as recently as the last four weeks on this very forum. Please do a search in the USA forum for answers.

NC Penguin
Sorry NC Penguin,

Unfortunately unlike certain members we have a life outside of the forum. Therefore, i do not read every single post, every single day. So, in future if you have nothing constructive to add or say, how about you keep those comments to yourself.....thanks
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:49 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry NC Penguin,

Unfortunately unlike certain members we have a life outside of the forum. Therefore, i do not read every single post, every single day. So, in future if you have nothing constructive to add or say, how about you keep those comments to yourself.....thanks
That's why they call it 'search'. So you don't have to read them all.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Emergency medical and one way travel, I used these people when I came over, and they covered me for a few months until the missus started her work...

www.worldwideinsure.com they were good, and easy to extend cover, but double check what is covered as you might need to get extra cover for certain valuables...
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:18 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry NC Penguin,

I have two words for you: "lazy git"!

Actually I have a few more for you. I see you are "newbie". There are members here who make time in their lives to help/assist others. You, on the other hand only appear to ask for help, not give any...

So, kiss my flippers!

NC Penguin

NC Penguin

Last edited by NC Penguin; Nov 29th 2004 at 9:24 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

NC Penguin

...true story
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Actually I have a few more for you. I see you are "newbie". There are members here who make time in their lives to help/assist others. You, on the other hand only appear to ask for help, not give any...

So, kiss my flippers!

NC Penguin

NC Penguin
oooooooo....take it easy pal. Here are your toys, get back in yer pram. You need to ask questions to gain the knowledge in order to answer them.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

What about an annual travel policy from the UK and blag it for the first few months? Probably totally unethical and illegal
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Big D
What about an annual travel policy from the UK and blag it for the first few months? Probably totally unethical and illegal
Don't think that we didn't go down that avenue. However, what if something was to befall either of us. I'm not sure that we'd have a 'leg to stand on'. That and we'd have a huge medical bill to pay. That said i do like your thinking

Last edited by NC Penguin; Nov 29th 2004 at 10:35 pm. Reason: Make the post legible!
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:59 pm
Franklin

oooooooo....take it easy pal. Here are your toys, get back in yer pram. You need to ask questions to gain the knowledge in order to answer them.
Troll

Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
The cover would be void as you wouldn't have a return ticket for most coverage.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Patent Attorney
Troll
possibly....
Old Nov 30th 2004, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Try: www.ehealthinsurance.com

Go for a temporary policy, it will cover hospital only though mostly. Someone mentioned $130 per month....for a temp policy, that is actually quite good!

Welcome to America!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.