Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance hikes?

Wikiposts

Medical Insurance hikes?

Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Medical Insurance hikes?

So getting to the end of year, what kind of damage are people finding with medical insurance for the new year renewals?

Through the missus, our 90/10 plan is only going up $10 a pay check, so $420 total a month, for a family with 2 kids. We're sticking with this plan as it covers 70% out of network and in network is across the country for places taking the insurance...so handy for when visiting the folks up in Maine.

The other plan is $180 a month, but that's 70/30 cover and only 50% out of network and outside of the state. The deductible is also much higher, $5K I think in general, but the co-pay is the same, $25 for a doctors visit.

If we didn't have kids, we'd probably risk going with that, but with kids and being in a snow bound state, not worth the risk for us that one of the little toerags doesn't take a digger at some point, me included

We also now have a dental plan, which is $65 a month. You have to cover the first $1500 a year of treatment and it pics up the rest of the tab. Also includes a 6 month clean and check up.

Also have a vision option, which is $20 a month. That included an annual eye test and 15% of the cost of any eye related surgery, LASIK for instance, as well as regular need of eye drops. Didn't cover frames nor lenses I don't think.

Which is pretty shit as the last time I had vision, it included a set of frames every 2 or 3 years, can't remember, but you could get new lenses every 2 years, including sunglasses and you also got a eye test and a %, 20 I think for contact lenses and other eye related costs and none elective eye surgery except if your vision was below a certain level for lasik.

We aren't eligible for MassHealth, because the missus is offered a option that is better than the state plan for similar money and we're marginally not poor enough.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:46 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance hikes?

Originally Posted by Bob
So getting to the end of year, what kind of damage are people finding with medical insurance for the new year renewals?

Through the missus, our 90/10 plan is only going up $10 a pay check, so $420 total a month, for a family with 2 kids. We're sticking with this plan as it covers 70% out of network and in network is across the country for places taking the insurance...so handy for when visiting the folks up in Maine.

The other plan is $180 a month, but that's 70/30 cover and only 50% out of network and outside of the state. The deductible is also much higher, $5K I think in general, but the co-pay is the same, $25 for a doctors visit.

If we didn't have kids, we'd probably risk going with that, but with kids and being in a snow bound state, not worth the risk for us that one of the little toerags doesn't take a digger at some point, me included

We also now have a dental plan, which is $65 a month. You have to cover the first $1500 a year of treatment and it pics up the rest of the tab. Also includes a 6 month clean and check up.

Also have a vision option, which is $20 a month. That included an annual eye test and 15% of the cost of any eye related surgery, LASIK for instance, as well as regular need of eye drops. Didn't cover frames nor lenses I don't think.

Which is pretty shit as the last time I had vision, it included a set of frames every 2 or 3 years, can't remember, but you could get new lenses every 2 years, including sunglasses and you also got a eye test and a %, 20 I think for contact lenses and other eye related costs and none elective eye surgery except if your vision was below a certain level for lasik.

We aren't eligible for MassHealth, because the missus is offered a option that is better than the state plan for similar money and we're marginally not poor enough.
No change in cost for us, $460 per month medical for 80/20, 2 adults 1 kid. I should have changed it this year, as we didn't even use our deductable this year.

Dental is $34 per month and deductable is only $25 per person and covers 100% of preventative, 80% basic (fillings, root canals) and 50% everything else.

Vision is only $10 per month, covers frames and lenses every other year.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The HSA plan we're on now went up $50 per pay and coverage went from 100% after deductible to 90% after deductible with a $3000 max. However, they tacked on savings of $1200 per year if employee plus spouse do certain things like health screening, select a PCP, participate in a disease management program if applicable, etc. My employer hasn't released their plans yet but because I participated in a health screening and don't smoke I know I can get a 20% discount on whatever plan I select. Because of some specific things on each of our respective employers insurance plans (assuming mine stays roughly the same), this is the first year where we may split onto our own employers plan.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Cost only went up a couple of dollars per pay period making it a total of about $65 month so nothing to complain about there.

More significantly, out of network coverage dropped from 80% to 70%.

Annual out of pocket maximum stays a $3,000 in network and another $3,000 out of network.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 2:01 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Up $40 per month in January, which puts it at over $1,000 per month for the two of us, self-employed.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

They seem to be cutting provision...still trying to sort it out.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:00 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Should I pack a rucksack and bring a pair of stout walking boots? How long will we be gone and what's the route?
Old Nov 15th 2011, 1:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We have retirees medical insurance cover...including meds. $70 per month increase for 2012...everything else remains the same.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

It changed from 90/10 to 80/20 plus deductible and out of pocket over double, other charges increased like co-pays. Basically, a lot less for the same premium.
Ain't it great!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:22 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

No change in cover this year, but the employee premiums are up $10 a month. That is offset by a $10 increase in the monthly discount available for participation in the in-house health scheme. So, 2012 costs remain at just under $20 a month for the family.