Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

medical insurance for dummies

medical insurance for dummies

Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: medical insurance for dummies

Originally Posted by mrken30
It sounds like your insurance works differently to mine. So this may be vary by insurer. Might be worth checking.
So why do they set an individual deductible if, as you suggest, it is overridden by the family deductible?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Phyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond reputePhyzz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
The others have given you good advice, but I always go with low deductible/high out of pocket. The whole point is not to cover you if you get the flu but to cover you if some idiot runs a red light and smashes into you, or if you slip on a patch of ice and break your leg. Don't be cheap on your health insurance.
I have opted for the High Deductible plan that my company offers. Along with the benefits of lower premiums, HSA, company contribution etc. that others have outlined; it also gives us the lowest Max OOP when factoring in all of the costs including the premiums paid.

We are generally a healthy family so have not been meeting the deductible. This year my son was injured playing soccer. With ambulance fees, surgery costs etc. I have hit the max OOP so the remainder of the year is now essentially 'free' (excluding premiums and HSA contributions).

It is worth digging into the details, although it is a little daunting. What on the face of it offers the best coverage could be the least efficient use of your money. I was lucky the company provided a nice tool for comparing all of the policies that they offer.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
If you have a family plan , individual deductibles and max out of pocket numbers don't matter. There will be a family deductible and max oop.

So if you have a $6k deductible on your family plan , you will need to pay out 100% for the first $6k of medical expenses, even if the literature mentions a $3k individual deductible.

To confuse things, my dental and vision insurance is per individual and not per family.
Not in our case. My wife has already satisfied her individual deductible. Anything else is covered at 80%.

I haven't used any of my deductible but that doesn't affect her.

As there are just the two of us, we both have to meet the individual deductible to satisfy the family deductible. In a larger family, once the family deductible is reached, the individual deductibles are irrelevant.

All dependent on the policy. YMMV.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So why do they set an individual deductible if, as you suggest, it is overridden by the family deductible?
Because some people take individual cover. They may be single or their spouse may use their own insurance. This is where the individual deductible amount is used. I have my family on the plan, hence the family deductible kicks in. My premiums may be very low because of this, $30 per pay period for family cover.

Last edited by mrken30; Jun 13th 2017 at 6:41 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 7:10 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hannahc16
Sorry I've tried to read up about it online and we are both so confused, I just want a stupidly dummed down explanation.
There isn't one, US healthcare coverage is extremely complex.

For most people, they have coverage provided by their employer and then when they get to 65 they sign on for Medicare. That is as dumbed down as it gets because each employer has a different plan and it varies from State to State as to which plans there are. If your employer is a smaller employer (less than 50) you might be on an ACA plan (see healthcare.gov)

If you don't earn enough you might be on Medicaid (and at what level depends on which State you live in because they may not have signed up for the expansion) and your child might qualify for Medicaid CHIP even if you don't.

Medicare is also complex, even if you qualify for Part A you will want Part B and D usually at least as well.

And even if you have insurance, there are co-pays and deductibles and if you end up in hospital, you might think you're insured but then your insurance plan might cover the hospital but it might not cover the specific physician you're seeing at said hospital, some States (Florida and NY) require them all to be covered by the same insurance but in most States they don't.

There is no simple way of describing it, it's really really complex and I didn't even get into prescription drugs.

The insurance companies have leaflets trying to explain it and so does Medicare.

Just bear in mind that at all times and in all cases they are trying to rip you off. Have a look at the Medicaid National Average Daily Cost for prescription drugs for example (NADAC). Everything on there is fantastically more expensive than in Canada. A 10ml vial of Novolog insulin for example is listed at $264. In Canada it goes for CAD $35.

Once when I got treated in Florida they tried to rip me off by dumping the whole ER bill for the day onto my insurance - I didn't have insurance, so I got the bill directly. I did note however that I was the only white person on the ward that day.