Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance for an ageing Uk Mother

Medical Insurance for an ageing Uk Mother

Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:30 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance for an ageing Uk Mother

Originally Posted by HertfordshiretoLongIsland
I think at the very least she will be able to buy into the Exchanges when they are up and running in 2014.
2014? Maybe I'm a pessimist but I doubt I'll be planning 4 years ahead when I hit 89.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Duncan Roberts you are so negative, how do you think Original Poster "OP" feels when you use terms such as "won't stand a chance" and how exactly do you know that OP's Mum will rack up "thousands of dollars of bills each year without insurance." Is that a scientific estimate?!
The OP would be on the hook to repay any of that Medicaid though, being the financial sponsor.

And being realistic is being sensible. Trip over the stairs and a broken hip, that'll be enough to bankrupt most people without insurance.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

HertfordshiretoLongIsland is an unknown quantity at this point

Bob, again, we know that you must have medical insurance in the USA and medical bills can run into the millions. This was never the issue. OP has no intention of taking this risk, hence why he has asked about medical insurance for his mother. If OP's question was: "Can I bring my Mum to the USA without insurance, how much could her medical bills really be?" then I would understand your responses but really it seems like you are missing the issue. I am shocked to see that you are a moderator on this site, shouldn't a moderator read the original post before responding?

Last edited by HertfordshiretoLongIsland; Jul 26th 2010 at 8:52 pm. Reason: improve final sentence
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, again, we know that you must have medical insurance in the USA and medical bills can run into the millions. This was never the issue. OP has no intention of taking this risk, hence why he has asked about medical insurance for his mother. If OP's question was: "Can I bring my Mum to the USA without insurance, how much could her medical bills really be?" then I would understand your responses but really it seems like you are missing the issue. I am shocked to see that you are a moderator on this site, shouldn't a moderator read the original post before responding?
Do you understand how medical insurance, private and state sponsored work for people who don't fit in the "good investment" category? There are lots of tricks around the system that some people can use that are perfectly legal, however for somebody who is 90 they don't exist and insurance companies know without a doubt that it is a bad investment to insure somebody that age. The recent changes have given a lot of people a way in to insurance after a denial but its not a guarantee and not cheap. As for my estimate of thousands per year, its just based on average costs for the typical things that go along with being 90.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And you need to join reality ..
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:33 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixsuns
Many thanks for all your advice it is what I feared! The main reason we wanted to move her here was that we could look after her and all the people she knows are no longer! Will just have to arrange frequent trips back to see her.
Once again thaks to everybody who took the time to reply.
Sonud sensible logic ...I douubt if she woulkd really like to move at her age anyway
Old Jul 26th 2010, 9:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

and how exactly do you know that OP's Mum will rack up "thousands of dollars of bills each year without insurance."
I spent 24 hours in hospital in May for surgery, the bill came to just over $32,000. Add to that doctors office visits, x-rays and MRI beforehand and the final total was pushing $36000. Very easy to rack up large sums of money in a US hospital.

With a lady of the OP mothers age not unreasonable to assume some medical problems in the course of a year, so unless you have first hand experience of such things perhaps you should refrain from criticizing those pointing the pitfalls out.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

He asked. Was told there's no chance of getting medical insurance, what part of that didn't you get?

That leaves either moving to the UK or face the status quo, massive debts/bankruptcy if they brought her over.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
He asked. Was told there's no chance of getting medical insurance, what part of that didn't you get?

That leaves either moving to the UK or face the status quo, massive debts/bankruptcy if they brought her over.
Well, with recent changes it is possible for previously uninsurable people to get insurance via the government but it requires a denial, a lot of paperwork, state approval, the right timing and a hefty monthly fee. It should fall outside the affidavit of support because its 100% paid for by the individual, which on turn is why its so expensive.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:41 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds ridiculous but it's true--many folks who bring over an elderly parent have budgeted for a one-way airline ticket home in case they get sick.

My general advice is don't do it, for many of the reasons listed above. But like others I'd also echo the fact that 'you can bend and twist' and make something work.

There exist, in some states, alternatives that might help your mother. At a general level, there is a 5-year waiting list for new immigrants for Medicaid and Medicare. However, states can use their own funds (i.e. not federal dollars) to provide services to some immigrants, if they so choose. That's why in states with high immigrant populations (California, New York, DC, etc) you might see different policies that might offer some solution for your mother. In addition, "high risk pools"--insurance programs for people who have been turned down also exist to provide some basic coverage for folks who cannot get coverage. There are also a few other options, such as telling the pharmacist at Walmart you don't have insurance (in some states the Walmarts will actually charge less for drugs for people without insurance than those that are covered by a policy)

But even with this bending and twisting, you are probably not going to get the same standard of care for an elderly person cobbling together this program and that program as you would with the NHS. The State-funded immigrant Medicaid/Medicare option (if your state has it) might only cover emergency and a few other items, it might not cover say monthly doctor visits or checkups. The high risk pool may have a 20% copay and 20% of $600,000 is a bit (not to be morbid but the 'last year' of a person's life in America can easily cost $600k--we had a thread on it a few months ago here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8401168). And Walmart isn't a non-profit should it come to a very expensive drug for a difficult treatment.

You have a lot of leg work to do and quite possibly even a move to another state if that would be better. You also need to keep in mind the "sponsorship" portion of the application in which you are legally saying "I will pay all her expenses for the next 10 years".

If I might add one more point--while most of the folks she knows are gone, don't underestimate the cultural adjustment she'll have to make coming to the US. Sure she might not have someone to ring up and have a cuppa with in the UK, but she might know her GP enough to say "how are your kids" or the folks at the local chemist where she's been shopping for years. The cultural adjustment issues you read about with many of the 20-30-40 year old posters here with 'open minds' might be a bit more extreme with someone quite a bit older and more used to doing things a certain way.

Sorry I can't give you a go / no-go answer, but this is a really tricky one all expats have to deal with and no one answer fits all situations.

Good luck.

UPDATE:

I've posted this in previous threads. It's a bit dated, especially as a number of states are cutting back their services for immigrants to meet their budget crisis, but I can't find anything more uptodate so it will have to do:

Last edited by penguinsix; Jul 27th 2010 at 12:46 am.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well that told Bob didn't it?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Phoenixsuns is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent thank you for all your advice will pursue options suggested. I know it will not be easy (unlike the driving test where the only problem was to know which hand to hold the large drink and which hand to hold the cell phone for texting!) and I fully understand some of the woe expressed!
Will report back with progress!
Once again many thanks for all your inputs!!
Old Jul 27th 2010, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to remember that CA chopped their scheme, they are bankrupt after all.

Hospitals emergency rooms have to treat you, But only enough to get you out of the door.

Some Consulates are asking for evidence of medical coverage.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Hospitals emergency rooms have to treat you, But only enough to get you out of the door.
Right, basically if your life is not in danger then they are off the hook. Doesn't matter how much pain you are in, if you can walk or anything else, life saving treatment is all you will get unless you are lucky.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

HertfordshiretoLongIsland is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
life saving treatment is all you will get unless you are lucky.
Hahahaha

Wheras if you are not lucky the treatment you will receive will not save your life!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.