British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   medical insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-insurance-500389/)

wisewol Dec 17th 2007 10:58 pm

medical insurance

We now have the family based visa (I130) and am looking at the different policies. What do others have as 'normal' medical maximums? $100,000 seems very high but reading some threads it seems low.

Seven Corners has an Immigrant insurance package that we are looking at. Anyone had experience of this policy? Other recommendations would also be welcome.

Titchski Dec 17th 2007 11:09 pm

Re: medical insurance

Is the $100,000 for a lifetime maximum? If so that is most definitely NOT high! :eek:

wisewol Dec 17th 2007 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Titchski (Post 5678746)
Is the $100,000 for a lifetime maximum? If so that is most definitely NOT high! :eek:

Dont know will have to take another look at the policy now :ohmy: what would most people go with then ?

NC Penguin Dec 17th 2007 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 5678716)
We now have the family based visa (I130) and am looking at the different policies. What do others have as 'normal' medical maximums? $100,000 seems very high but reading some threads it seems low.

Seven Corners has an Immigrant insurance package that we are looking at. Anyone had experience of this policy? Other recommendations would also be welcome.

Do you or your spouse not get health insurance through your respective employers?

Thydney Dec 18th 2007 12:08 am

100k omg that wouldn't last a good accident out it costs at least 1k to visit the ER if you make your own way there

Duncan Roberts Dec 18th 2007 1:20 am

I've seen many claims that are double that or more, and they were only for one date of service. Personally, this year my claims for medical and prescriptions have been about 60% of that. Thankfully I've "only" had to pay around 10% of that number, probably a little less. My ER visit and 15 hour stay in the hospital was billed at $6500 all told.

Bluegrass Lass Dec 18th 2007 2:28 am

For several companies that I've worked for, I've seen $1million for a lifetime maximum. IMHO, that is the absolute minimum to accept as a lifetime max payout, but that will depend on your family's health and any pre-existing conditions. If anyone in your family has pre-existing conditions, try to get this payout as high as possible.

Elvira Dec 18th 2007 2:32 am

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13 (Post 5679109)
For several companies that I've worked for, I've seen $1million for a lifetime maximum. IMHO, that is the absolute minimum to accept as a lifetime max payout, but that will depend on your family's health and any pre-existing conditions. If anyone has a pre-existing conditions, try to get this limit higher.

Wasn't there a little baby who had maxed out her lifetime max of 1 million before her first birthday...

lansbury Dec 18th 2007 2:41 am

The life time max on our insurance is $2 million each. When we got ours that seemed to be about the normal with some more expensive ones being $5 million life time max.

Giantaxe Dec 18th 2007 6:19 am

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 5678767)
Dont know will have to take another look at the policy now :ohmy: what would most people go with then ?

Unlimited, if possible. $100k is peanuts in relation to medical costs, btw. One serious illness and you'll be bankrupt.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2007 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 5679691)
Unlimited, if possible. $100k is peanuts in relation to medical costs, btw. One serious illness and you'll be bankrupt.

I know somebody who blew through $350,000, and that was not what I would think was serious.

wisewol Dec 18th 2007 6:46 am

Have just checked the policy and its an annual maximum payout per injury. As we dont have a job quite yet we need to take our own cover to get us started.

scrubbedexpat099 Dec 18th 2007 7:03 am

Originally Posted by wisewol (Post 5679747)
Have just checked the policy and its an annual maximum payout per injury. As we dont have a job quite yet we need to take our own cover to get us started.

Tryng to remember what is the norm under UK Travel Policies, GBP5m rings a bell.

It's the big numbers you need to watch.

Michigan Man Jan 13th 2008 2:17 am

I hate to pee in your porridge but you have to plan for the worst, when you are healthy insurance seems an expense you don't need so you try to jeep costs down. I was lucky when I was diagnosed with cancer that I had a good coverage with my company. 100K was blown in the first few months with radiation and chemo etc. I realize that this doesn't happen to a lot of people, but allso realize that when yo insurance runs out the costs then come out of your pocket.....

lj2 Jan 14th 2008 1:01 pm

Slight follow on question - I am gonna be over very soon, and was thinking that if my medical insurance maxes out at the $1m (or whatever it may be) limit, I would have to head back home and say goodbye to my US life. Am I basically right?

Thydney Jan 14th 2008 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 5785679)
Slight follow on question - I am gonna be over very soon, and was thinking that if my medical insurance maxes out at the $1m (or whatever it may be) limit, I would have to head back home and say goodbye to my US life. Am I basically right?

Not exactly but I'm guessing you'd be ****ed anyway. You'd probably have lost your job and income whilst you were ill so unless you made a full recovery and got back to work then I say you were correct.

Elvira Jan 14th 2008 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5785723)
Not exactly but I'm guessing you'd be ****ed anyway. You'd probably have lost your job and income whilst you were ill so unless you made a full recovery and got back to work then I say you were correct.

Yeah- they don't usually tell you that they can sack you whilst you're ill, and with the job goes the medical insurance.

And how many people moving to the US know that their children have to come off their insurance by age 23 at the latest...

Xebedee Jan 14th 2008 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5785723)

Here's a thought too.
Say you were you to blow the lifetime max on a policy (1 mill or whatever), what about other companies then insuring you?
Wouldn't imagine they'd be too thrilled about starting a new policy. :huh:

lj2 Jan 14th 2008 1:32 pm

Given the above, I would anticipate returning to the UK by age 50ish to avoid an illness completely ruining me and taking away everything I'd built up over the preceding 25 years....

I am not sure how it is possible to live as an old person in the US...

Thydney Jan 14th 2008 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Xebedee (Post 5785746)
Here's a thought too.
Say you were you to blow the lifetime max on a policy (1 mill or whatever), what about other companies then insuring you?
Wouldn't imagine they'd be too thrilled about starting a new policy. :huh:

Well if you've blown your 1 million I'm pretty sure you'd be ill. If it were a company group policy then they can't refuse you but they would exclude you for a time.

lj2 I'm not sure how thats possible myself maybe Elvira can tell us how she does it:rofl:

tamms_1965 Jan 14th 2008 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5678863)
100k omg that wouldn't last a good accident out it costs at least 1k to visit the ER if you make your own way there

My daughter had a cyst removed from her breast as an outpatient. She was in hospital 2 hours and it was over $10,000!

tamms_1965 Jan 14th 2008 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5785744)
Yeah- they don't usually tell you that they can sack you whilst you're ill, and with the job goes the medical insurance.

And how many people moving to the US know that their children have to come off their insurance by age 23 at the latest...

And that's if they remain in school.

Elvira Jan 14th 2008 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Thydney (Post 5785796)
lj2 I'm not sure how thats possible myself maybe Elvira can tell us how she does it:rofl:

:curse:

:p

Xebedee Jan 14th 2008 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 5785771)
Given the above, I would anticipate returning to the UK by age 50ish to avoid an illness completely ruining me and taking away everything I'd built up over the preceding 25 years....

Good thinking. I'm on that track myself.

As for your question:

Americans know the system here. The generation which is retired now and about to (typically) has company pensions, Veterans' Bennies, SocSec and Medicaid/care is still functioning. They also have IRA's and 401k's to boot.

They just do it, right?

As for retiring here in 30 years time. Sh!t, it scares the piss out of me - it should be something to look forward to. Ha!

Giantaxe Jan 14th 2008 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 5785679)

Either that or declare bankruptcy when the medical bills start rolling in... medical expenses are the major reason for personal bankruptcies in the US.

Giantaxe Jan 14th 2008 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by lj2 (Post 5785771)

This is the biggest financial nightmare I have about living in the US - the 15 year period before 65 where health costs start rising and where age discrimination can make employment prospects much bleaker. However, if you reach 65, Medicare (if its still around!) kicks in. The last study I saw suggested that older Americans are at least as healthy as their counterparts in other western countries. It's people below 65 that make the US look bad in comparisons of healthcare outcomes. So the trick is making it to 65 in relatively good health! Of course, if Medicare goes bankrupt before then, all bets are off...

scotch03 Jan 14th 2008 4:38 pm

Most people should consider having a short term disability policy which pays a portion of your income should you become ill or have an accident - they are quite inexpensive and so necessary in this country.

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 14th 2008 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by scotch03 (Post 5786306)
Most people should consider having a short term disability policy which pays a portion of your income should you become ill or have an accident - they are quite inexpensive and so necessary in this country.

Wrong way around.

Long Term Disability is the issue.

Michigan Man Jan 14th 2008 5:36 pm

If you haven't already, take a look at the Michael Moore film "Sicko". This is a real eye opener and by the way it has some good things to say about the NHS. When I raise the NHS with my American friends their response is usually; "yes but the taxes are so much higher in the UK to pay for it". I try to explain that yes taxes may be higher but it doesn't all go on the NHS. I have to say that my experience with my PPO in terms of response time getting treatment for cancer has been superb, but that's only because I have coverage with my job. When I lived in the UK I was with BUPA and that was also great. The big BUT is that if you are too sick to work here you are on your own, at least in the UK up will get free treatment...eventually.

Redlippie Jan 14th 2008 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Michigan Man (Post 5786557)
If you haven't already, take a look at the Michael Moore film "Sicko". This is a real eye opener and by the way it has some good things to say about the NHS. When I raise the NHS with my American friends their response is usually; "yes but the taxes are so much higher in the UK to pay for it". I try to explain that yes taxes may be higher but it doesn't all go on the NHS. I have to say that my experience with my PPO in terms of response time getting treatment for cancer has been superb, but that's only because I have coverage with my job. When I lived in the UK I was with BUPA and that was also great. The big BUT is that if you are too sick to work here you are on your own, at least in the UK up will get free treatment...eventually.

We've often had discussions on the taxation bit here vs the UK and the difference was negligible when it came to the medical side.

tamms_1965 Jan 14th 2008 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Michigan Man (Post 5786557)

Michael Moore is a joke.

Bob Jan 14th 2008 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5785744)

It's 26 in ME and MA, as long as they are in full time education, 21 for dental mind...

Bob Jan 14th 2008 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 5786098)
Either that or declare bankruptcy when the medical bills start rolling in... medical expenses are the major reason for personal bankruptcies in the US.

Can't do that anymore, Bush made sure of that...

Bob Jan 14th 2008 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 5786773)
Michael Moore is a joke.

He is, but he does highlight some valid issues all the same.

tamms_1965 Jan 14th 2008 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5786964)
He is, but he does highlight some valid issues all the same.

Maybe so, but he's turned me off to anything he does/says, valid or not. I could never take him seriously.

Giantaxe Jan 14th 2008 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 5786773)
Michael Moore is a joke.

Nice well-reasoned argument!

Giantaxe Jan 14th 2008 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5786951)
Can't do that anymore, Bush made sure of that...

It's certainly more difficult, especially for people who earn more than the median income for their state. These folks typically can't file for Chapter 7 any more, meaning they have to come up with some kind of repayment plan in agreement with the court. But otoh folks with serious illnesses often lose their income at the same time, so the Bush changes won't impact them so severely. From what I've read, even post the Bush changes, medical bills are still the leading cause of personal bankruptcy.

tamms_1965 Jan 14th 2008 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 5787005)
Nice well-reasoned argument!

Not meant to be an argument, but a fact. I'm a scientist, so I deal with just the facts ma'am (or sir).

Giantaxe Jan 14th 2008 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 5787029)
Not meant to be an argument, but a fact. I'm a scientist, so I deal with just the facts ma'am (or sir).

Ah, but scientists are also willing to back up what thy claim are facts with justification and evidence :p

Bob Jan 14th 2008 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by tamms_1965 (Post 5786978)
Maybe so, but he's turned me off to anything he does/says, valid or not. I could never take him seriously.

still doesn't mean the issue of healthcare, or gun control isn't a problem though...