British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Medical checkup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-checkup-409426/)

Jerseygirl Nov 22nd 2006 2:37 am

Re: Medical checkup

The difference is...the US system is good if you can afford to pay...the UK system is for everyone...whether you have paid into the system or not.

Bob Nov 22nd 2006 2:47 am

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
... How awful to think I could have lost my child, all because UK doctors send women off to a midwife without any internal exams, routine bloodtests, etc...

yeah, the UK obviously has a massive infant death rate compared to the US :rolleyes:

jen_andreson Nov 22nd 2006 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, the UK obviously has a massive infant death rate compared to the US :rolleyes:

Ouch. I wasn't saying that the UK is killing babies.

In the UK I went to the GP with severe cramping and pain and was asked 'are your waterworks okay'. To which I said 'yes'. I was sent home. A month later I went back and was told to switch pills. Sent on my way. Went back-told to give it time. No exam, no ultrasound,nothing.

Fast forward a few months. Am here, wake with severe pain, go to doctor for a check and an ultrasound. I have a very large cyst that was near rupture...and I was newly pregnant. My doctor asked the date of my last internal exam and I replied 'never'. She was shocked--here it is reco'd that women have a yearly check-up.

I had surgery the next morning, cyst removed, the baby survived but it was a close call. If the cyst had ruptured I would have, most likely, lost the baby and risked my life.

Yes, I know that I'm fortunate to have good insurance here. However, a simple exam or ultrasound months earlier would have prevented that whole ordeal.

My husband and I paid a lot of money for him to have an OP he needed, after he spent 11 months in a queue/off of work. That was a big hardship, as I was on maternity leave with our first.

As I've said, at least here we know how the system works and we can take precautions to protect ourselves. Yes, it needs work as there are major problems, but the NHS is far from the perfect model. In the UK, the safety net that we thought was there clearly wasn't, all because we lived in the wrong place (even though it was a 'right' place in terms of places to live).

OP should be grateful he gets a yearly check, even if it has to be booked in advance.

Ozzidoc Nov 22nd 2006 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
'
in the uk if your condition is urgent then by law your dr or 'a' dr from your surgery has to see you 'on the day', daily extra emergency appts are always kept back for that reason....if it's an emergency then off to the hospital you go.

Not quite true - Nurse can see you, dr can speak to you on phone, nurse can speak to you on phone, can be sent straight to A&E.