British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Medical checkup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/medical-checkup-409426/)

Triumphrob Nov 21st 2006 2:56 pm

Medical checkup

Unbelievable. I just called my Dr's office to schedule my annual physical which I have about this time every year, only to be told I cant be seen until Jan 15th NEXT YEAR!!!
I'm so glad we pay $$$$ for insurance in this country,
Rob

Jerseygirl Nov 21st 2006 3:03 pm

Re: Medical checkup

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Unbelievable. I just called my Dr's office to schedule my annual physical which I have about this time every year, only to be told I cant be seen until Jan 15th NEXT YEAR!!!
Rob

I had one last week...same day I booked to make the appointment. I think it depends on where you live and the doctor. Maybe it's the same as dental check ups....it's not considered urgent so there's quite a wait.

Elvira Nov 21st 2006 3:07 pm

Rob

And, of course, if your insurance is like ours, your clock will be reset on January 1st, so you'll 'miss out' on your 2006 physical altogether...

Bob Nov 21st 2006 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had one last week...same day I booked to make the appointment. I think it depends on where you live and the doctor. Maybe it's the same as dental check ups....it's not considered urgent so there's quite a wait.

aye, luck of the draw ain't it.

Jerseygirl Nov 21st 2006 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, luck of the draw ain't it.

Yep. Same in the UK too...you can usually see a doctor pretty quickly if it's urgent but if it's not urgent there can be quite a wait. Of course it all depends on the area in which you live and the doctor.

paddingtongreen Nov 21st 2006 9:10 pm

I'm confused. Don't you have bloodwork done a week before the actual physical, that way, they have the results when they push and poke you, so to speak..

Jerseygirl Nov 21st 2006 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I'm confused. Don't you have bloodwork done a week before the actual physical, that way, they have the results when they push and poke you, so to speak..

We haven't...it's always been taken at the same time as the examination.

jumping doris Nov 21st 2006 10:05 pm

Rob

I had to wait nearly three weeks for a physical. They did the bloodwork at the time of the physical so that if I need to go back I get to pay another copay!
My OH has just had his physical withthe same Dr and she discussed my physical with him and she discussed the wrong person!!!!!
I wont be going back.

Jerseygirl Nov 21st 2006 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I had to wait nearly three weeks for a physical. They did the bloodwork at the time of the physical so that if I need to go back I get to pay another copay!
My OH has just had his physical withthe same Dr and she discussed my physical with him and she discussed the wrong person!!!!!
I wont be going back.

Doctors here don't seem to be very ethical do they...my doc often makes comments about the patient he's just seen.

jumping doris Nov 21st 2006 10:27 pm

Doctors here don't seem to be very ethical do they...my doc often makes comments about the patient he's just seen.

While I was having my physical she was talking about other patients. She didn't name them but I still felt she shouldn't be doing it.
Our township (hate that word) isn't big and it might be possible to recognise someone from the doc's description.

TruBrit Nov 21st 2006 10:29 pm

Yep. Same in the UK too...you can usually see a doctor pretty quickly if it's urgent but if it's not urgent there can be quite a wait. Of course it all depends on the area in which you live and the doctor.

'
in the uk if your condition is urgent then by law your dr or 'a' dr from your surgery has to see you 'on the day', daily extra emergency appts are always kept back for that reason....if it's an emergency then off to the hospital you go.

jen_andreson Nov 21st 2006 11:00 pm

Rob

End of year is always hard to get in--many people use up FSA money and others squeeze in a yearly physical before the year ends. We always book ours in advance, since it's a routine visit and not an emergency/urgent. Same with back to school medicals for the children--always book early.

I am so grateful to have yearly medicals that I am happy to book early--none of us ever had a medical or any preventative care in the UK.

jen_andreson Nov 21st 2006 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
'
in the uk if your condition is urgent then by law your dr or 'a' dr from your surgery has to see you 'on the day', daily extra emergency appts are always kept back for that reason....if it's an emergency then off to the hospital you go.

Is that really an actual law? My surgery didn't hold any emergency appts. I waited 2 weeks to get my child in for asthma/pneumonia--went to a walk-in and then paid for private in the meantime. Our surgery was standard 2-3 week or go to A&E.

jen_andreson Nov 21st 2006 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I wont be going back.

How horrible! I'd be tempted to report that to the local medical board. I hope you find a more responsible GP!

Jerseygirl Nov 21st 2006 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by jen_andreson
Is that really an actual law? My surgery didn't hold any emergency appts. I waited 2 weeks to get my child in for asthma/pneumonia--went to a walk-in and then paid for private in the meantime. Our surgery was standard 2-3 week or go to A&E.

My in-laws are always complaining that they usually have to wait a week for an appointment. I suppose it depends what is deemed as an 'emergency'. When we lived in the UK our doctor was great...he would always make time for you in an emergency. The trouble is most of the small traditional surgeries have now been incorporated into large clinics. All you get is an electronic message and menu...it is almost impossible to speak to a human. When you do the person isn't familiar with you and lacks sympathy and understanding. I find this to be the case here as well as the UK.