Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Medical Billing

Medical Billing

Old Aug 13th 2005, 7:33 am
ImHere

Default Re: Medical Billing

Quite ironic dont you think that medical treatment can induce so much stress and anxiety on the patient? I cannot imagine a scenario where such practice would be allowed in the UK. In particular the being able to produce pretty much any bill you like then if the customer disputes it just screw them over for the next 10 years.

Just another example of the unholy alliance of Medical, Insurance and Legal professions and of how greedy corporations are allowed to simply ***** with individuals with virtually no comeback.

If I wasnt having a crap day already this would be the sort of thing that would make me want to sod off back to Europe.

Old Aug 13th 2005, 7:34 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Thats fine if its a question of affordability - our argument is over $750 which we could easily afford to pay, but I just don't think we should as it is for items which we didn't receive...
Rearrange these words into a well know phrase or saying:

Money license print to.

Old Aug 13th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Yorkie- I'd ask the hospital for a discount and pay up...don't think British in this case. The bill will not go away, if they've gone quiet they may well have already reported to the credit bureaux.

yeah, we're not really expecting it to go away...The doctor and nurse and billing dept have all agreed that they have charged us for something we haven't had (ie 3 units of "special casting material", when we only had one) and we've got it in writing from them that they are reviewing it, and will revert. Until they do, I'm not going to chase them. If they don't come back with a sensible bill for what we actually received, a lawyer friend has advised that the most appropriate course of action is to refer it to the Office of the Attorney General...apparently its called "cramming" and its an offence in Texas.

At the end of the day, with a new mortgage looming before the end of the year, we can't afford to do anything to screw our credit, especially over a 750 bill which we reckon should be 500, but if I can get the thieving lying cheating scumbags to present a proper bill, I will.[/QUOTE]

I don't blame you. Just monitor your credit. If our dispute had happened recently, I'd have seen the charge they put on fairly quickly as I monitor our credit, but in those days people weren't allowed access to their credit reports and scores.
Old Aug 13th 2005, 10:04 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
If I wasnt having a crap day already this would be the sort of thing that would make me want to sod off back to Europe.
Know exactly what you mean - we've had 2 kids in the US in the last 3 years, and now have 3 kids under 5 (including a 2 year old who thinks he's Superman), so we're getting a lot of exposure to the US medical system, and I can honestly say it's very close to the top of my list of things that would make me leave.

Funnily enough, we've used the UK medical facilities twice in the last month. Once because my wife came out in a really nasty all over rash and once for a routine checkup for our 2 month old daughter. My wife's rash was a recurrence of a problem last year that took 4 visits and almost $1000 to sort out - here she was fixed with an initial diagnosis followed by a check up a week later, costing 18 quid including the cream! We've been non-resident for years, so not entitled to free non-emergency NHS treatment, so we've paid for the visits - or at least tried to - apparently we don't need to pay for the baby checkups, even though we're non-resident (I don't know if thats official policy, or just our doctors surgery being nice!) So the total bill we've had for all of the visits is that 18 quid, which is about the same as the co-pay for a single office visit in the US. No, the offices aren't as plush as in the US - lino on the floor instead of marble, spider plants instead of lilies etc etc, but you know what my wife(USC) said about the doctors - "wow, they were sooo nice"......
Old Aug 13th 2005, 11:32 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
I got charged the thick end of $500 to have a mole removed off my leg a few weeks ago. $250 for two stitches that were feking bodged up by some haitian quack who - get this - spent half the time on his mobile phone while doing the stitches. $60 for the actual slicing off of the mole, another $10 to slap a bit of neosporin on it, $100 just to say hello to me as I walked in the door and then some other sundry bits. And this was at a major clinic. It was ******* shoddy to be honest.

My wife is continously shocked and appalled by some of what goes on at the hospital she works in (this is a top 5 hospital for cardiac care) and the amount people are billed for bugger all. The whole medical system over here is about profit and nothing else.
You have a mole? Eeeewww, disgusting.
Old Aug 13th 2005, 11:37 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
You have a mole? Eeeewww, disgusting.
It keeps digging up his lawn
Old Aug 13th 2005, 11:39 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Christ, this thread just keeps getting more perverse.
Old Aug 13th 2005, 11:41 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Caddyshack, anyone?
Old Aug 13th 2005, 11:43 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by syllk
Caddyshack, anyone?
Oh!! Thhaaat lawn.
Old Aug 13th 2005, 11:43 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Caddyshack, anyone?
LOL that was a Gopher

Old Aug 13th 2005, 11:47 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

LOL that was a Gopher

Yeah, I know...but Gordon was a mole all the same...or was that Adrian?
Old Aug 13th 2005, 11:56 am

Yeah, I know...but Gordon was a mole all the same...or was that Adrian?
Gordon the Gopher aged 13 3/4 Who started that, was it Phillip Schofield?
Old Aug 13th 2005, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Could you guys all stay together in one group in the Lounge forum? Its much easier to stalk you all that way.