Medicaid

Old Dec 21st 2017, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Essential Plan

Hey Guys,

Quick Q.

I am a permanent resident on a IR1.

I recently signed up for medicaid for my daughter and a health benefit representative also signed me up also as we'd just arrived to the states and I had no coverage.

I was granted the Essential Plan 4 alongside my daughter but now I am seriously worried that I have got something i'm not meant to have? Apparently its not Medicaid but its an alternative if you are a new immigrant.
I am in New York State.

Does anyone know anything about this? I don't want to get into trouble for having something i'm not meant to have.

Health Care for All New York | Coming Soon: The Essential Plan in New York!

Last edited by viitav; Dec 21st 2017 at 9:08 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

viitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond reputeviitav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medicaid

Ok I called NY State and it's all ok.. This can be closed.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 10:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused. Did you lose your job on Wall Street. Back on December 8, 2017 you were telling us about having just finished your first week (http://britishexpats.com/forum/marri...irport-906456/ post #13). If you are still working, you weren't offered medical insurance with your employment.
Old Dec 21st 2017, 10:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I see from your update on elizabethsmum's post today that you are still working. How does that work that you are gainfully employed and yet qualify for Medicaid for your daughter and a gratuitous health plan for NYS?
Old Dec 21st 2017, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
I see from your update on elizabethsmum's post today that you are still working. How does that work that you are gainfully employed and yet qualify for Medicaid for your daughter and a gratuitous health plan for NYS?
Because I’ve only just started working. In the eyes of the New York State I haven’t earnt any money here yet therefore my income is zero. It’s not “banked” in their eyes. This was what New York State told me. I went upon arrival in October - my company couldn’t offer me anything until January 1st. I’ve spoken to them today and they’ve clarified that it’s fine for me to have the essential plan 4. Our annual income is less then $80k therefore we’re entitled and I’ve earnt under $40k this year.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 12:09 am
Concierge

I'm speechless. And what happens when your company gives you the healthcare option in January. Are you allowed to turn it down for Medicaid or freebee/low cost healthcare from NYS even if you have the option of getting healthcare insurance through employment.

I do have to say I find today's immigrants to the US so savvy on US benefits and know exactly what they can get from the local, state or federal governments. Kudos. You all definitely put US citizens to shame for their lack of knowledge about what's out there.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

My company offer healthcare which they pay 20% towards. I don’t know if this is the normal over here as a lot of my friends in other jobs get it for free through employment or pay a significant amount less.

To be honest I wasn’t savvy I went to a fidelis healthcare rep who then put me in touch with New York State and they advised me that I was covered automatically I didn’t have to wait until January and that I was eligible as in their eyes I do not yet have the income I’m due to accrue. However when filing taxes next year I will no longer be eligible.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 1:49 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

It obviously varies by state. I've heard before the NYS is a very "immigrant-friendly" state when it comes to healthcare as they have various things in place for new immigrants to obtain free or low-cost healthcare.

Not so in Washington. My husband's work is seasonal in that he is a gardener at a cemetery. He mows the lawns, tends to the flower beds, prunes the bushes, etc. During the winter he is almost laid off in that his hours are reduced dramatically because you can't mow lawns that are under a few feet of snow. In February he went to see if he could get food stamps or some other help but he was told, very bluntly, that because I am an immigrant he cannot claim anything as the I-864 would then come into force because the claim would be seen as a joint claim because married couples eat from the same pot. This winter he has a second job - shoveling snow. At least he won't be short of work.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

I’ve heard it varies state to state that’s such a shame.

I wish they were more immigrant friendly and he could claim as it isn’t You claiming you know!

Strange how every state is different in their laws and policies.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:28 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

In GA you wouldn't be getting a dime towards your healthcare costs. Not even if you were unemployed as an able bodied adult.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 4:06 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by viitav
I’ve heard it varies state to state that’s such a shame.

I wish they were more immigrant friendly and he could claim as it isn’t You claiming you know!

Strange how every state is different in their laws and policies.
If this is a daughter from both you and your USC husband, then can I assume she is a USC as well? If so, then, she is entitled to Medicaid coverage if there is no family income or at the very least lower healthcare costs if you are low earners. I don't think $80K annually is considered low earners for a family of 3. I know of someone who earns $56K for a family of 3 in NYS and they do not qualify for assisted healthcare from NYS.