Medi-Care

Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

HLH Moreno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medi-Care

hi folks, well i am shortly to be moving to the USA and my parents are on about moving over there in a few years maybe....now what i need to know if anyone can help is....they are and will be pensionable age by the time they get over to the US....what type of healthcare will they be able to get apart from paying for private. would they qualify for medi-care?
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:15 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medi-Care

Originally Posted by HLH Moreno
would they qualify for medi-care?
not at first no.
I believe they need to have been permanent residents for about 5 years before they are eligible, and then it's at a price.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

hi folks, well i am shortly to be moving to the USA and my parents are on about moving over there in a few years maybe....now what i need to know if anyone can help is....they are and will be pensionable age by the time they get over to the US....what type of healthcare will they be able to get apart from paying for private. would they qualify for medi-care?

No they will not be eligible for medicare or medicaid. If they obtain a visa to come to the US based on your green card, then you will be financially responsible for to reimburse the government for any means tested benefits they receive up to ten years or until they become US citizens.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
not at first no.
I believe they need to have been permanent residents for about 5 years before they are eligible, and then it's at a price.

Yes after 5 years as PR's they can get means tested benefits but you will still be on the hook to repay the government if the government decides to come after you for reimbursement.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 10:44 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

In addition to advice already given above,
it's nextto impossible for anyone of pensionable age to buy health insurance in the US, which would make it even more difficult for your parents.
I tried everything last year before I moved and in the end had to pay 2,500 pounds sterling for an international policy for 1 year, with 1,000 pound deductible, and excluding existing health prooblems. At least it ensured that if I was knocked down by an SUV I wouldn't be bankrupted! I am fortunate that after one year of marriage to a US citizen I am eligible for Medicare, but still have to pay around $90 a month supplement and pay for all medications.
Your parents would be in a very sticky position, believe me! Much better for them to come for long stays and use travel insurance I would have thought.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 3:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well his parents could be circa 40 now, so say 5 years to move over and get Citizenship and sponsor them, so mid 40's taking avery optomistic time line.

That would allow them to work long enough.

The US is one of the last places most people would want to retire to, one illness away from bankruptcy.