British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Meaningless expresions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/meaningless-expresions-282655/)

Triumphrob Feb 8th 2005 5:45 pm

Meaningless expresions

How many of you get irratated by the bland, meaningless expressions used by Americans?
I particually hate:
When checking out at a store the clerk asks "Did you find everything OK?" replying "no" is always good for a laugh.
And of course the fav. "Have a nice day" said with all the sincerity of ...something with no sincerity at all.
And when leaving a store the clerk calls "Come back". One day I will imediatally do just that just to see how it confuses them :-)
Rob

TouristTrap Feb 8th 2005 5:46 pm

Re: Meaningless expresions

Whatever......I could care less :D :D

Pigtails Feb 8th 2005 6:04 pm

The one that kills me is:

Yank: How ya doing?

Me: Good thank you, how are you?

Yank: Good, how are you?

Hello...WTF??????

callé Feb 8th 2005 6:26 pm

Yes, I work in collections and every time A customer calls their first words are, 'hi, how are you?' They dont care and dont even give time to answer so why ask?? Irritating.

britchicknyc Feb 8th 2005 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by callë
Yes, I work in collections and every time A customer calls their first words are, 'hi, how are you?' They dont care and dont even give time to answer so why ask?? Irritating.

Oh how true.

and all they are looking for if you are given the time to answer is "good" - they don't remotely care how you are at all. People who actually reply honestly are given this strange - "what the hell are you saying" look.

Dreadful.

Lilywolf Feb 8th 2005 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
Oh how true.

and all they are looking for if you are given the time to answer is "good" - they don't remotely care how you are at all. People who actually reply honestly are given this strange - "what the hell are you saying" look.

Dreadful.

Kinda reminds me of how in London you get asked "Good week-end?" on a Monday morning :p and don't wait for an answer before asking for what it is they really want.

Englishmum Feb 8th 2005 9:21 pm

I'd just purchased some stuff in Expo today (a posher version of the 'Home Depot' and operated by them).

The cashier said as I was leaving...."Have a Good One"

I always want to say "Have a Good One What?"

It's a very common expresssion in New Jersey, do people say it elsewhere? :confused:

Dan725 Feb 8th 2005 9:47 pm

I tend to find they like to have the last word in any exchange, carrying it on one more than a British conversation. For example, they say "thanks" you say "thanks", they say "you're welcome". They say "bye", you say "bye", they say "Have a nice day".

dunroving Feb 8th 2005 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by Dan725
I tend to find they like to have the last word in any exchange, carrying it on one more than a British conversation. For example, they say "thanks" you say "thanks", they say "you're welcome". They say "bye", you say "bye", they say "Have a nice day".

Come on, get with the program. You're supposed to say "No, YOU have a nice day!"

- you obviously didn't attend cotillion!

Dan725 Feb 8th 2005 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
Come on, get with the program. You're supposed to say "No, YOU have a nice day!"

- you obviously didn't attend cotillion!

Hehe, no chance of me stringing it on even longer, because all that would achieve is round 2: "No, you have a nice day". "No really, you have a nice day!". Sometimes I have tried, but even then, it continues, Uhuh at least has to come back. Well, if they want the last word, let em I say! ;)

cindyabs Feb 9th 2005 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
How many of you get irratated by the bland, meaningless expressions used by Americans?
I particually hate:
When checking out at a store the clerk asks "Did you find everything OK?" replying "no" is always good for a laugh.
And of course the fav. "Have a nice day" said with all the sincerity of ...something with no sincerity at all.
And when leaving a store the clerk calls "Come back". One day I will imediatally do just that just to see how it confuses them :-)
Rob

I can speak to seveal of these-I cashiered at Kroger's as a part time job-during the training process we are told to ask if the customer found everything okay. We are also told to invite the customer to come back and see us.
You may find it needless and mechanical and maybe it is, but these people are just doing their job.........

Sarah Feb 9th 2005 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I'd just purchased some stuff in Expo today (a posher version of the 'Home Depot' and operated by them).

The cashier said as I was leaving...."Have a Good One"

I always want to say "Have a Good One What?"

It's a very common expresssion in New Jersey, do people say it elsewhere? :confused:

Yeah in Pennsylvania I get 'have a good one' too. Also the hicks in PA will say 'Yip-pers!" instead of yes. Most bizarre. I wonder if this is redneck code for anything or if they're developing their own language, maybe its just native to PA. Weird.

cindyabs Feb 9th 2005 1:41 am

Originally Posted by SarahUK
Yeah in Pennsylvania I get 'have a good one' too. Also the hicks in PA will say 'Yip-pers!" instead of yes. Most bizarre. I wonder if this is redneck code for anything or if they're developing their own language, maybe its just native to PA. Weird.

It might be midwestern thing, my ex used it occasionally.

CalgaryAMC Feb 9th 2005 1:51 am

Outside of the United Kingdom there are other countries. In these countries, words and phrases exist that are different from those used in the United Kingdom, but which have similar meaning.

"How are you?"
This is a salutation. It is appropriate to respond with "fine," or to simply repeat the question by way of response. Its basis is in the more formal "how do you do," to which etiquette demands a response of "how do you do."

"Did you find everything 'ok'?"
This is a question. The appropriate response is to say "yes," if you did find everything ok. If you didn't find everything you needed, the appropriate response is to say "no," and then say what you were looking for. What will then occur is that someone will go and get what you need.

"Have a Good one"
This isn informal and friendly salutation. "One" refers either to a unit of time, like "day" or "evening," or an event.

"Yippers"
This is a colloquial and friendly alternative to "yes." It is often said with an inflection and sometimes a smile.

cindyabs Feb 9th 2005 2:00 am

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Outside of the United Kingdom there are other countries. In these countries, words and phrases exist that are different from those used in the United Kingdom, but which have similar meaning.

"How are you?"
This is a salutation. It is appropriate to respond with "fine," or to simply repeat the question by way of response. Its basis is in the more formal "how do you do," to which etiquette demands a response of "how do you do."

"Did you find everything 'ok'?"
This is a question. The appropriate response is to say "yes," if you did find everything ok. If you didn't find everything you needed, the appropriate response is to say "no," and then say what you were looking for. What will then occur is that someone will go and get what you need.

"Have a Good one"
This isn informal and friendly salutation. "One" refers either to a unit of time, like "day" or "evening," or an event.

"Yippers"
This is a colloquial and friendly alternative to "yes." It is often said with an inflection and sometimes a smile.

Thank you.