Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

McVities Digestives at WalMart

McVities Digestives at WalMart

Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:05 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default McVities Digestives at WalMart

Found these yesterday in the normal cookie section at my local Walmart:

About $3 for the chocolate ones and $2 for the plain ones - much cheaper than any of the import places I've found. These appear to be specially packaged by McVities for various markets - inside is the usual cylindrical plastic wrapping, but completely white, and the box has the normal US nutrition information, not a sticker overlaying British info.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: McVities Digestives at WalMart

Fantastic! Shame our area is too posh for a Walmart!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the plain ones the other week, didn't know they had the choccy ones too. Must take a race down to Wally World at lunch and see if they have some in.

You can also get some, what look to be German, Jaffa Cakes at Aldi. I haven't bought any yet but on the box they look identical to the McVits ones. Mmmm, Digestive biscuits and Jaffa Cakes. Anyone fancy a cuppa ... ?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:40 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

At my walmart the choccy ones were right next to the plain but there was only one box of them facing the aisle...the rest were on their side shoved deeper onto the shelf and if I hadn't seen the first one I would have assumed they were all the plain type. There were a lot more of the plain in stock than the choccy (and by the time I left the aisle there were no more choccy )
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Are they made under licence by Hersheys????

Jim.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
At my walmart the choccy ones were right next to the plain but there was only one box of them facing the aisle...the rest were on their side shoved deeper onto the shelf and if I hadn't seen the first one I would have assumed they were all the plain type. There were a lot more of the plain in stock than the choccy (and by the time I left the aisle there were no more choccy )
They were probably tucked way back in there by some Brit who hoped nobody else would notice them. There's a disappointed ex-pat running round your area now, mark my words

My wife actually found Chocolate Oranges in a local supermarket just after Christmas for $1.99 which is wayyyyy cheaper than World Market. Out of 16 she managed to grab me 12 before some other bird swooped in for the last four. They lasted me all of two weeks, I think. Have yet to see them there again though ...
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:44 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Scouse Express

Jim.
Don't believe so - I looked at the box of plain ones and I seem to remember it said 'made in the UK' or words to that effect.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

NSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to allNSBlake is a name known to all

We found Choccie Hobnobs in the same type of cardboard packaging as above and made in the UK in Stop and Shop for about $4 which is much cheaper than the $7 for the "usual" imported ones...
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Jim.
Nope! They say "Made in the UK by McVitie's, PO Box 7249, Ashby-De-La-Zouch, LE65 2ZH, Great Britain" No "distributed by" tag or any other company name/address on them, and a big "Made in Britain" label with a Union Flag on the end of the box.

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
They were probably tucked way back in there by some Brit who hoped nobody else would notice them. There's a disappointed ex-pat running round your area now, mark my words
Haha...well for $3 a pop they should have grabbed them! I've posted an alert on our local Brit Meetup page, so now I will probably never find them in stock again.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:02 pm
I have a comma problem

Nope! They say "Made in the UK by McVitie's, PO Box 7249, Ashby-De-La-Zouch, LE65 2ZH, Great Britain" No "distributed by" tag or any other company name/address on them, and a big "Made in Britain" label with a Union Flag on the end of the box.

Haha...well for $3 a pop they should have grabbed them! I've posted an alert on our local Brit Meetup page, so now I will probably never find them in stock again.
Actually, it'd be for the best if lots of people buy them as then it will be an incentive for the shop to keep them in stock. That place where my wife got the Chocolate Oranges used to have a big British section with Yorkies, curry paste, Ribena, Ambrosia and all kinds of goodies but it disappeared. Perhaps I was the only person buying from it ...
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Ashby-De-La-Zouch
As a place name, I always thought Ashby-De-La-Zouch sounded incredibly exotic.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
As did I when I saw National Express Coaches headed for Haverfordwest, when growing up.

Jim
Old Feb 7th 2012, 4:57 pm

My first thought upon reading it (well, after "how do you pronounce that?") was that it sounded too French to be an acceptable British place name!
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

With place names, it's what you're used to.. I grew up near a village in Kent called Pratt's Bottom. Nobody thought anything of it, just the name of the village. 40 years later, along comes the internet, all of a sudden Pratt's Bottom is high on all the lists of rude/comical place names. Er.. what's funny/rude about that, then??
Old Feb 7th 2012, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
With place names, it's what you're used to.. I grew up near a village in Kent called Pratt's Bottom. Nobody thought anything of it, just the name of the village. 40 years later, along comes the internet, all of a sudden Pratt's Bottom is high on all the lists of rude/comical place names. Er.. what's funny/rude about that, then??
I'm saying nothing

Jim.
Attached Thumbnails McVities Digestives at WalMart-national-express-twatt.png   McVities Digestives at WalMart-signpost.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.