Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

MBNA question

MBNA question

Old Jun 2nd 2003, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

ifsmithy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MBNA question

this has probably been asked a million times, I am in USA at the moment and am in the process of getting an MBNA credit card back home in the UK.
I have heard that MBNA can use your credit history back in Europe and transfer this to the states thus you get some sort of credit history.
Is this true?
I am in the lenghthy process of obtaining a credit history via the traditional routes (secured credit card, store cards etc)
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 7:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MBNA question

Like Amex USA, if you lean on MBNA USA they will issue you with a card based on you having had an equivalent card in the UK, which isn't quite the same as transferring your credit history.

If you are more than a few months into establishing a US credit history them it might already be more trouble than it's worth applying for a MBNA UK credit card as they are unlikely to issue you with a US card of you have only had the UK one for five miunutes. By the time you have had the UK one long enough they'll issue you with a US one anyway.
Old Jun 4th 2003, 8:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MBNA question

Has anybody ever figured out what MBNA stands for. many years ago when they first came to the UK..I called them and asked ..Nobody knew ??? Anybody Know???
Old Jun 5th 2003, 11:11 am
Def
Forum Regular

Def is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been told it's to do with the Maryland Bank, which is where MBNA came from. No idea what the "NA" means though.

I'm interested in this thread too. What benefit does getting MBNA to transfer your card to an american card give you? I've had an MBNA card for years, ridiculous credit limit I never use but they keep increasing. Just wondering for future reference.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

well done DEF... I actual did a bit of research yesterday and your right its MARYLAND BANK OF NORTH AMERICA, your right about the credit limit I have not used mine for 5+ years and my credit limit is now £18k here its $3000...with a local bank
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
well done DEF... I actual did a bit of research yesterday and your right its MARYLAND BANK OF NORTH AMERICA, ....
Are you sure about the "NA"? Many banks have a full legal name of " .... NA", where NA stands for "National Association", a form of federally chartered banking corporation.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:54 pm
Ray

You may well be right ...thats what I was told yesterday..Could not find any mention of it on their web site..
Old Jun 27th 2003, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

If you had an MBNA card in the UK with a 'ridiculous' limit - like I had, then calling MBNA in the USA and patiently explaining 147 times that you DON't want to simply apply for a card but want them to do a credit check in the UK (you'll need to sign a disclaimer due to Eurpoean privacy laws) and use that evidence to issue a USA card WILL be a fasttrack to a decent credit limit in the USA.
I've been here 2.5 years, have a house, a good job etc. and the best credit limit I have from a card going the traditional approach is $3000. MBNA gave me $10,000 limit to start with going the 'contact the UK' route.

So, if there's anyone in the UK thinking of a move out here - get (or maintain) both an Amex and an MBNA card. Amex will transfer a card as if you'd just simply moved house, MBNA will contact MBNA(UK) and get them to answer the question 'if this guy was in the UK, would YOU give him a credit card and for how high a limit?'
They will then aplly that answer to a US card.