Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It may seem unlikely but is it possible?

Wikiposts

It may seem unlikely but is it possible?

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:04 am
Just Joined

DominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant future
Default Re: It may seem unlikely but is it possible?

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Maybe you should change your degree, before you proceed any further.
Something tells me you don't have many friends?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:12 am
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DominicMarc
Is that a question, or a statement?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

I am in my final year of university (studying English Lit/Lang) here in England and I have had this desire to move to America (NY) for a very long time.

However, as a UK citizen I will obviously be unable to enter the GreenCard Lotto, get married to a US citizen (on the account I am gay ) and as I would be unable to invest a large sum of money in a business that also seems doubtful. I know there are other methods such as a sponsor however in the field I study English I have no idea as to where to begin looking in terms of a sponsor.

I have indeed visited America several times and this is something that I definitely want to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to go about this? Any help is MUCH appreciated!
I studied Eng Lang and now I live in the US permanently. It's doable. Do the study route. Feel free to PM me, as I don't like to clog up threads with tons of posts about my personal life.

Last edited by Rose tea; Nov 23rd 2011 at 9:29 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 9:54 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
The one thing I would change about my own career trajectory would be to at least be aware of how much you paint yourself into a corner going into academia. If I had known I would have to move around the world to get a job, the fact I could get a job abroad would not seem quite as appealing. Add in the bit where you almost never get to choose where the job is ("in the US" can and did mean "bumblef**k Oklahoma") and there are a few things I'd say to young retzie.
Oh, this is so spookily reminiscent of a conversation yesterday with my post-doc husband. I'm glad we're not the only ones. On good days, it all seems so exciting; on bad days, the most inefficient, frustrating, ill-advised mode of living possible.

Re. teaching, I have the impression (maybe incorrectly?) that it's a much better career in the UK than in the USA. Several people from my BA did PGCEs afterwards, and are now doing well; over here in California it seems like a much less secure career path, with loads of lay-offs and reduced hours.

If the OP wants to stay in English Lit/Lan academia after his BA, that's pretty bleak. There was never much money in humanities postgrad, and with this economy there's less than ever, so only sink your time and money into a Master's/PhD (in any country) if you're absolutely in love with your subject. At this point, drifting into humanities academia by default is a bad idea, practically speaking. (Should note: I'm saying this as someone with a BA and MPhil in English Lit, rather than as someone who thinks anything other than a hard science is a complete waste of time. If I were independently wealthy, I'd totally stay in academia.)

Finally, if the OP is interested in New York, he might consider a Mountbatten Institute work placement. It only lasts a year, with zero chance of extension, but you get to work in NYC and meet a lot of people. A friend of mine did it. TBH, it's one of those internship schemes for wealthy graduates -- I think you pay 7000GBP -- but it's not a terrible deal, as I believe you get accommodation and health insurance and a modest monthly stipend.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Nov 23rd 2011 at 10:02 am. Reason: to show pro-humanities bias
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to point out the same error, but then noticed Uncle Ebenezer had already responded.

FWIW, I have lots of friends!

Ian