Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

It may seem unlikely but is it possible?

It may seem unlikely but is it possible?

Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

DominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant future
Red face It may seem unlikely but is it possible?

I am in my final year of university (studying English Lit/Lang) here in England and I have had this desire to move to America (NY) for a very long time.

However, as a UK citizen I will obviously be unable to enter the GreenCard Lotto, get married to a US citizen (on the account I am gay ) and as I would be unable to invest a large sum of money in a business that also seems doubtful. I know there are other methods such as a sponsor however in the field I study English I have no idea as to where to begin looking in terms of a sponsor.

I have indeed visited America several times and this is something that I definitely want to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to go about this? Any help is MUCH appreciated!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:16 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It may seem unlikely but is it possible?

Originally Posted by DominicMarc
I am in my final year of university (studying English Lit/Lang) here in England and I have had this desire to move to America (NY) for a very long time.

However, as a UK citizen I will obviously be unable to enter the GreenCard Lotto, get married to a US citizen (on the account I am gay ) and as I would be unable to invest a large sum of money in a business that also seems doubtful. I know there are other methods such as a sponsor however in the field I study English I have no idea as to where to begin looking in terms of a sponsor.

I have indeed visited America several times and this is something that I definitely want to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to go about this? Any help is MUCH appreciated!

As you're in Manchester, start a band with your brother basing your sound on old Beatle numbers, become famous, and you'll get to tour the US if you don't let your sibling rivalry destroy it all. Doesn't even required finishing uni.

BTW, UK citizenship neither qualifies nor disqualifies you from the DV lottery.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:27 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Where does Immigration law stand for same sex marriage couples in certain states of course!!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:29 pm
Lump Of Coal

GetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really niceGetOutOfBlighty is just really nice

study or get a company to sponsor you?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure what kind of job you will do with your degree...what did you have in mind? It sounds like your options are fairly limited. Here are a few suggestions:

1. F-1 student visa to do higher education in the USA (expensive and does not lead to a green card directly).
2. Find an employer in the USA to hire you and sponsor your work visa (not sure what kind of job you qualify for with your degree, and it's expensive for the employer to sponsor your visa).
3. Find a job in the UK with a company that has offices in the USA, and then after 1 year put in for a transfer.
4. Look into a J-1 type visa, but it's not long-term...does not lead to a green card.

Rene
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Where does Immigration law stand for same sex marriage couples in certain states of course!!
Are you asking? It leads nowhere. Immigration law is Federal, and the Federal goverment does not recognize same-sex marriages. No one can immigrate in a same-sex relationship, even if they get married in a state that allows same-sex marriages.

Rene
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Start with the links in the "Really, really read me" thread.

FWIW I'd say unless doing a higher degree in the US appeals to you (and you have the $$$ for it), I'd suggest you view it as a medium-to-longer term project. I'd suggest when you graduate and you're considering a career, look for companies that have a presence in the UK and US and work towards getting so knowledgeable and indispensable you can get an inter-office transfer.

Such companies don't have to be mega-corporations. There are lots of medium sized creative and ad agencies who have offices on both sides of the pond, and arts degrees like yours could be suitable for an account management / sales / business development type role, not forgetting copywriting of course.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:41 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly possible to become a prof and then get sponsorship by a US university. Chances increase if you become the best of the best, but will still require a modicum of luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Perfectly possible to become a prof and then get sponsorship by a US university. Chances increase if you become the best of the best, but will still require a modicum of luck.
Realistically OP would need to get a doctorate to get an university-level academic job in the US.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:53 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by rpjs
Realistically OP would need to get a doctorate to get an university-level academic job in the US.
Undoubtedly. If he loves English, can tolerate academia, and his final goal is to live in the US, this is the most sensible route for him. It's unlikely but possible.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 3:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Are you asking? It leads nowhere. Immigration law is Federal, and the Federal goverment does not recognize same-sex marriages. No one can immigrate in a same-sex relationship, even if they get married in a state that allows same-sex marriages.

Rene
Yes I was curious!!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

DominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant futureDominicMarc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I am not sure what kind of job you will do with your degree...what did you have in mind? It sounds like your options are fairly limited. Here are a few suggestions:

1. F-1 student visa to do higher education in the USA (expensive and does not lead to a green card directly).
2. Find an employer in the USA to hire you and sponsor your work visa (not sure what kind of job you qualify for with your degree, and it's expensive for the employer to sponsor your visa).
3. Find a job in the UK with a company that has offices in the USA, and then after 1 year put in for a transfer.
4. Look into a J-1 type visa, but it's not long-term...does not lead to a green card.

Rene

Thankyou everyone for your quick replies, very much appreciated!

In terms of career path's I do want to go into teaching however I assume that there is no way I could do my PGCE in the states?

...in regards to higher education, would that entail simply applying to do a masters degree in a US university?
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:18 pm
Septicity

...in regards to higher education, would that entail simply applying to do a masters degree in a US university?
Sure. And a good $50k or so on the table. Then return to the UK for your PhD and weasel your way into faculty. Publish lots and get noticed. Then apply for US faculty jobs.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:28 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou everyone for your quick replies, very much appreciated!

In terms of career path's I do want to go into teaching however I assume that there is no way I could do my PGCE in the states?

Maybe you should change your degree, before you proceed any further.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to mention that you should definitely investigate the academic jobs market in English/Literature before even thinking the academic route is a good idea! The humanities have always been a harder market to crack than the sciences, then the crisis dragged everyone down even further.

The one thing I would change about my own career trajectory would be to at least be aware of how much you paint yourself into a corner going into academia. If I had known I would have to move around the world to get a job, the fact I could get a job abroad would not seem quite as appealing. Add in the bit where you almost never get to choose where the job is ("in the US" can and did mean "bumblef**k Oklahoma") and there are a few things I'd say to young retzie.

Doing a PhD in the US may be a better option. Assistantships and the like can significantly reduce the financial burden. You may need to do some further study in the UK before that becomes a realistic option, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.