Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

May be moving to Houston - Few Questions

May be moving to Houston - Few Questions

Old Jun 27th 2022, 3:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: May be moving to Houston - Few Questions

Originally Posted by tht
It may also depend on the type you have. I have hot water and heating combined in a single GV90+ gas boiler, so hot water tank is only to keep the water hot not heat it directly, there is a loop of hot water through it. I think it’s called an “indirect water heater”.
I am familiar with that type as something very similar to what you describe is very common in the UK, though I was not aware that is was common in the US, though I hear that common house heating systems in New England are quite different from most of the US.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
In all the water heaters I have ever seen/ owned (at least half a dozen or more, several of both gas and electrical heaters, in NC), I have never found a single one with an anode rode. Perhaps more sigificantly, I have never seen a new one for sale that has an anode rod either. The top of the heaters, gas or electric, is invarably a smooth steel surface with two threaded ports to hook up the pipes. I suspect that the availabilty of heaters with anode rods depends on the local market, perhaps linked to the corrosiveness of the water there.

I had a water heater replaced last year that was 27 years old (in my experience water heaters round here typically seem to last 25+ years); it had rusted through at the bottom. A new HE gas heater cost $3k installed, and being high efficiency it allow the plumber to vent it through the garage wall so we could get rid of the ugly stovepipe chimney through the roof. A few months later the roofing contractors who we had hired to replace the entire roof, pulled out the two stove pipe chimneys (the other was the similarly redundant vent for the original gas furnace in the attic, that we had replaced three years earlier with an HE furnace that vented through the attic wall, specifically so that when the time came to replace the roof that the stovepipe chimney could be removed, of course as well as it being more efficient). The roofers then replaced the underlying sheathing boards that had had the holes for the stovepipe chimneys cut through them, so it is like stovepipe chimneys were never even there!
You may want to double check if your water heater is electric which only electric have anode rods. I did a quick check and all Rheem and AO smith electric water heaters have anode rods. My new house has a Rheem which I installed and under a plastic cap on top is a anode rod with a large Allen head for removal. Gas water heaters have no need for anode rod. There may be brands of electric water heaters without anode rods but according to what I read online they all do.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 3:54 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I am familiar with that type as something very similar to what you describe is very common in the UK, though I was not aware that is was common in the US, though I hear that common house heating systems in New England are quite different from most of the US.
I had it put it in before we moved in as part of oil to gas conversion. It had a separate 35 year old oil boiler (water radiators, which are constant heat vs forced air that goes on and off and dries the air more) and separate oil water heater. It is high efficiency so not sure how common it is here. I mainly went that route as I could free up space for a laundry and it’s proven tech vs the newer tankless water heaters which have less history.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 3:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
You may want to double check if your water heater is electric which only electric have anode rods. ....
From what I have read this morning (multiple resources*) that does not appear to be correct.

* Including the link Tht provided that included the wording "... all standard tank-style water heaters do [have an anode rod] ..."
Old Jun 27th 2022, 3:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Strat ,,, it is extremely difficult to read your reply posts as you don't use the [QUOTE] function. If this is to difficult for you, please at least high the OP's text by bolding it or making it a different color and putting a paragraph between the quoted text and your reply.

Thanks
Rete

Originally Posted by strat
For schools, you mentioned stressful commutes, what do you mean by this? Also what time do children go to school/ finish in Houston? I guess stressful depends how comfortable you are driving in traffic here. I found (retired) it stressful, my wife, not so much. Easy because everyone’s going the same way and the roads are wide, but lots of cars. The main routes into Houston from here are west park and i10, both are heavy traffic during the usual commute times, tho there is a park and ride to the city center… coming down from woodlands, it would likely be i45, similar story… my son attends junior high, they start around 08:55 and finish 16:05. He’s a keen swimmer, so after school he attends a swim club most days…. He’s also a saxophone player and guitarist, so when I mention spending and kids activities, those are the types of things yours may participate in….

Regarding Salary, we are not people who go out and spends loads to be honest, maybe on a weekend we will go out and do stuff as a family but if we could get a pool in the garden then I think the kids would rather stay home and swim all day long

You mentioned its incredibly hot there now, we have been checking the weather and can see its not 40 during the day. What are the winter months like? This year is unusual, it’s always hot but we’ve been in triple digits on and off for a few weeks now, and no rain, humidity is sort of high, so I makes it tough to stay outside for long, I even cut the grass in stages, because it’s too hot to cruise through and finish it all in one go. Winter does get cold, but last few years we’ve seen these odd weeks of really cold. It’ll drop to -10f or something for a few days and kill off all the plants… but in general it’s over with quite quickly.

on utilities, 2700 sqft home… maybe, gas, 40-200 $/month, summer to winter, elec 350-60 $/month, summer to winter, water 60$/month, depending on if you’re using sprinkler etc….
Old Jun 27th 2022, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by tht
I had it put it in before we moved in as part of oil to gas conversion. It had a separate 35 year old oil boiler (water radiators, which are constant heat vs forced air that goes on and off and dries the air more) and separate oil water heater. It is high efficiency so not sure how common it is here. I mainly went that route as I could free up space for a laundry and it’s proven tech vs the newer tankless water heaters which have less history.
Yup, that's the reason that I compared it to heating installations in the UK which are almost always radiator systems. I know that radiators are also common in New England, and I was fairly sure that yours would be too.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I have only had two electric tank type water heaters in the past 30 years one at each house we had during that time. Both have anode rods and the one rod I replaced after about 15 years was totally eaten away. The new rod was about $15 dollars and easy to replace. I will defer all other issues concerning anode rods and water heaters to others. If your water heater has one they should be inspected and replaced after a few years of service.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 4:13 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry_1990
yea I just got back from Orlando last week and been to Orlando 15 times.
Good Lord. I'm an American and have only been there twice in 40 years. Once with my kids and once with my grandkids. How in heaven's name can anyone WANT to go to the World of Mouse 15 times??????

I live in Mississippi which is hotter than Texas and today has been the first time in 14 days that we have not been over 100 degrees F. AC is never off from May through October. $217 a month for 6 months on a retirement income and we only have a 1900 sq. ft. house.

As for replacement of washing machines, dryers, a/c, hot water heater, boiler, and most plumbing and electrical needs, we are covered under our annual Home Warranty Policy. Other than the annual premium, we pay $75 per occurrence with replacement/repair at no cost to use.

The take home salary after deductions you found online doesn't include your contribution to a 401K savings account for retirement or your HSA account for unpaid medical expenses. Those alone might be as little as $1K a month and upwards. You've not touched on cable television which I'm assuming you will want for the sake of the kids.

Please bear in mind that a yearly salary and lifestyle varies greatly from person to person. What someone else considers a requirement, i.e. $500K a year, is not the norm for the majority of people. Houston is an expensive area of the state. I would have them adjust your salary upward at least by $25K a year.

Last edited by Rete; Jun 27th 2022 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

You may want to double check if your water heater is electric which only electric have anode rods. I did a quick check and all Rheem and AO smith electric water heaters have anode rods. My new house has a Rheem which I installed and under a plastic cap on top is a anode rod with a large Allen head for removal. Gas water heaters have no need for anode rod. There may be brands of electric water heaters without anode rods but according to what I read online they all do.
I do want to correct above misstatement. Both gas and electric tank type water heaters have sacrificial anodes. Some newer lined or stainless steel tanks could be an exception.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 7:34 pm

I do want to correct above misstatement. Both gas and electric tank type water heaters have sacrificial anodes. Some newer lined or stainless steel tanks could be an exception.
That might explain some of my observations, as I think some of the water heaters I have seen have had a glass liner.
Old Jun 27th 2022, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

That might explain some of my observations, as I think some of the water heaters I have seen have had a glass liner.
In doing some further reading it seems even many lined tank type water heaters have replaceable anodes. I guess it’s best to check model number owned. My current Rheem is almost six years old and past due for anode check. When I get time I will remove anode and photograph old and new for posting.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry_1990
yea I just got back from Orlando last week and been to Orlando 15 times.

That’s the point we are making. Gas, chain restaurant/fast-food and hotels are about the only things that are cheaper here than the UK. Trust us. We live here and we’ve lived in the UK. Many of us have family there and go back regularly. We were back in the UK just last month and we’re amazed at the prices we saw on TV adverts for mobile phone services, internet, car insurance, and I thought my eyes were deceiving me with the prices when I accompanied my mother on her Tesco shop. A really good quality bread for just over a pound that would be closer to $7 here.

And although gas/petrol is cheaper, you’ll use more of it when you live here so it’s not really a saving. We have nothing that we can walk to from our house and no bus services. To go to a restaurant, grocery store, dentist, cinema, bank, even an ATM involves a drive of at least 10 miles each way.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope
That’s the point we are making. Gas, chain restaurant/fast-food and hotels are about the only things that are cheaper here than the UK. Trust us. We live here and we’ve lived in the UK. Many of us have family there and go back regularly. We were back in the UK just last month and we’re amazed at the prices we saw on TV adverts for mobile phone services, internet, car insurance, and I thought my eyes were deceiving me with the prices when I accompanied my mother on her Tesco shop. A really good quality bread for just over a pound that would be closer to $7 here.

And although gas/petrol is cheaper, you’ll use more of it when you live here so it’s not really a saving. We have nothing that we can walk to from our house and no bus services. To go to a restaurant, grocery store, dentist, cinema, bank, even an ATM involves a drive of at least 10 miles each way.
Even food is much cheaper here from the same company. Walmart owns Asda, so have a browse and compare prices US and UK. I just looked up apples and at Walmart they vary in price by type but a typical price is $1.51/lb. At Asda they are under $1/lb.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/a...y/910000899721

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=Apples
Old Jun 29th 2022, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steph0scope

The OP should probably also consider that he is already just below the top 5% of earners in the whole UK and 75K is a massive salary. Depending on spending habits, location and house prices he might not feel that way, but it would be interesting to compare how much you need in Houston to be under the top 5% of earners.
Old Jun 29th 2022, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
The OP should probably also consider that he is already just below the top 5% of earners in the whole UK and 75K is a massive salary. Depending on spending habits, location and house prices he might not feel that way, but it would be interesting to compare how much you need in Houston to be under the top 5% of earners.
Great point actually. I suspect the OP has bailed, however, 100k (without looking) I highly doubt is in top 5%. Not even close

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.