Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which mattress?

Wikiposts

Which mattress?

Old May 18th 2011, 10:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which mattress?

Originally Posted by Bomjeito

We are needing to replace the guest bedroom mattress with something traditional, as guests don't seem to like having to 'experience' a new mattress without their consent.
Are you serious? I'd direct them to the nearest hotel.
Old May 18th 2011, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
We tried out the Sleep Number bed, but I can't get past the fact that it's basically an air mattress.
We bought a Sleep Number bed in Canada before we moved to the US and we love it. I don't think they have the same model in the US as we have though. It is their top of the line with a pillow top and then dual memory foam layers over the air chambers. Doesn't feel like an air mattress at all
Cost was over $4,000 though!
Old May 18th 2011, 10:49 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad this topic came up, too. I've been considering getting a new mattress. I see these ads on TV that if your mattress is more than 8 years old, it has all this junk and mites on it, etc. Mine is something like 20 years old!!! When I bought my mattress and box springs set, it was something like $400 for the set, including a frame! But it's mostly only been me sleeping alone there, so not a lot of wear and tear on it. LOL

I don't like the memory-foam pillows, I can't imagine a whole bed made of memory-foam. I also like the room/bed to be cool at night, so if memory foam heats up, that won't work for me.

I couldn't quite tell from this thread...is a Tepur-Pedic the same as a Memory Foam mattress?

I have friends who like their sleep number beds, but I don't think I need to be that fine-tuned.

Rene
Old May 18th 2011, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm glad this topic came up because I'm on the verge of wanting a Tempurpedic too. Normally Costco hits a home run with their copies of things, but the Costco MF mattresses aren't getting good reviews. People love that they can return them with zero problem, but returning it at all is a problem for me. I don't want to go through with that.

Everyone I know who owns a TP brand one says they love it. What to do?
I'm considering finding a hotel that has them and staying over a night.. how else are you really supposed to know? They all feel good when you lay down in the store.

We tried out the Sleep Number bed, but I can't get past the fact that it's basically an air mattress

Yeah, I was thinking that as well....
Old May 18th 2011, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
70F? I'd be passing out if my bedroom was that hot. Before we moved over here, we actually managed to get our bedroom back in Scotland below 0C during the winter. Absolute bliss. I quite fancy a Tempurpedic bed but if the room has to be warm there's no point. I think they do 90 day trials though so we might give it a shot.

I stayed in a hotel recently and complained the aircon wasn't working, to be told it will only kick in if the temperature is above 65F. Seems a bit pointless to me. Mind you, we're in the process of buying a house which only has AC on the upper floor. I've a feeling we'll be extending that throughout the house before too long!
You misunderstand memory foam. The room does not have to be warm. It reacts to the person's own body heat to soften and conform to their curves. If the room is very cold it may take a little longer to conform that is all. Some people complain it makes them feel warmer, but I have never had an issue with it.

As for extending the AC, wait until you get your first electricity bill before being so set on chilling the whole house to that level. We set ours to mid to upper 70s usually.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I don't like the memory-foam pillows, I can't imagine a whole bed made of memory-foam. I also like the room/bed to be cool at night, so if memory foam heats up, that won't work for me.

I couldn't quite tell from this thread...is a Tepur-Pedic the same as a Memory Foam mattress?
I don't like the memory foam pillows either, just the mattress. What I did realize though and this applies to all beds is that you do have to match the pillow to the mattress and your style of sleeping (side or back etc) to ensure your neck is correctly positioned. I use a small buckwheat pillow with a thin fiber pillow on top for comfort.

Tempurpedic is a brand of memory foam and some would consider the leading brand. I think they were first, all the others are copies and some are considerably inferior copies at that. Something to do with the way they are molded, it forms an outer skin that most others don't have which affects their support and longevity. Tempurpedic have something like a 20 yr warranty but that is only valid if you use it on one of their foundations, slats will invalidate it.
Old May 18th 2011, 11:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I don't like the memory foam pillows either, just the mattress. What I did realize though and this applies to all beds is that you do have to match the pillow to the mattress and your style of sleeping (side or back etc) to ensure your neck is correctly positioned. I use a small buckwheat pillow with a thin fiber pillow on top for comfort.

Tempurpedic is a brand of memory foam and some would consider the leading brand. I think they were first, all the others are copies and some are considerably inferior copies at that. Something to do with the way they are molded, it forms an outer skin that most others don't have which affects their support and longevity. Tempurpedic have something like a 20 yr warranty but that is only valid if you use it on one of their foundations, slats will invalidate it.
Thanks for the details!

I don't suppose anyone buys the old fashioned box spring and mattress combo anymore?

Rene
Old May 18th 2011, 12:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Thanks for the details!

I don't suppose anyone buys the old fashioned box spring and mattress combo anymore?

Rene
We did...from a local place up in Maine where we were living...I mentioned we saw a similar mattress in a big store and he said to make him an offer.

Got $400 off for the whole thing and they set it up the next day, he offered to have the guys deliver it that evening as we only lived down the street but we had to much crap to clear
Old May 18th 2011, 12:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Havnfun
We bought a Sleep Number bed in Canada before we moved to the US and we love it. I don't think they have the same model in the US as we have though. It is their top of the line with a pillow top and then dual memory foam layers over the air chambers. Doesn't feel like an air mattress at all
Cost was over $4,000 though!
I'll bet! You got the Really Really Good One!
Thanks for the feedback. I'll send Himself out to a night job, problem solved.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
So it really does work the way they show it on the commercials then?
Kind of. Be warned though, it absorbs all bouncing, even those you intend to make. Anyone used to the extra bounces you get from a spring mattress while, er "bouncing", is going to have to do a bit more work!

Had mine for 4 years and there are troughs where my wife and I sleep. I'm only 11 stone so it seems a bit weird that it has given way like that.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Kind of. Be warned though, it absorbs all bouncing, even those you intend to make. Anyone used to the extra bounces you get from a spring mattress while, er "bouncing", is going to have to do a bit more work!

Had mine for 4 years and there are troughs where my wife and I sleep. I'm only 11 stone so it seems a bit weird that it has given way like that.
We've been married 20 years, no need to worry about "bouncing" anymore
Old May 19th 2011, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
We've been married 20 years, no need to worry about "bouncing" anymore
Really, no one told me you were supposed to stop it. Damn, no wonder there are grooves in our floorboards....
Old May 19th 2011, 12:36 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Really, no one told me you were supposed to stop it. Damn, no wonder there are grooves in our floorboards....

Now you have been told...stop it..............
Old May 19th 2011, 12:48 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Yes, but if you dig your knees into it you get a better purchase.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
Now you have been told...stop it..............
Old May 19th 2011, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tonrob
Yes, but if you dig your knees into it you get a better purchase.
TMI, TMI, TMI.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.