Maryland

Old May 6th 2011, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Lookoutapiano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maryland

Hi, I have a job offer in Laurel, Maryland, can anyone offer advice on places around there to live (or avoid). My work will be in SW Laurel.
(I'm in the UK currently)

Thanks!
Old May 6th 2011, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maryland

Originally Posted by Lookoutapiano
Hi, I have a job offer in Laurel, Maryland, can anyone offer advice on places around there to live (or avoid). My work will be in SW Laurel.

Thanks!
Oops, see you've already started a thread
Old May 6th 2011, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Only just found out my job- so you can imagine the multitude of thoughts/emotions/questions etc!!!
Old May 6th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Only just found out my job- so you can imagine the multitude of thoughts/emotions/questions etc!!!
Don't panic!!
Old May 6th 2011, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I have a job offer in Laurel, Maryland...
What visa will you be getting? A job offer is useless otherwise!

Ian
Old May 6th 2011, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, don't know yet- the whells for the whole thing have only just started.
Old May 6th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Try Largo, MD, which is a short drive from Laurel. There is a Metro Station there which will have you in Washington DC, within 20 minutes.

There are some nice-looking Condos/Apartments within walking distance of the station.

Jim.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

Thanks!
There are a number of options depending on your needs and willingness to commute, eg.

Surburban lifestyle with good schools - try Columbia or Ellicott City
Sort-of-urban with metro access - try Silver Spring or Bowie
You could probably get away with living in parts of Washington, DC and commuting to Laurel, if you don't mind a 30-40 minute commute.
Laurel itself is not a bad place to live.

Warning : this area is one of the most expensive for property in the US, so be prepared to be surprised by prices unless you were living in somewhere like London previously.

I would suggest looking for a short term apartment lease (3 or 6 months) close to your place of work in Laurel and taking the time to get to know the area before making a longer term commitment to any place in particular. Google "apartments in maryland" and you should find plenty of web sites that allow you to search for apartments in a given location. The Washington Post also has a search facility in its Real Estate section.
Old May 6th 2011, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Great info- thanks very much!

We'd prefer to be in the suburbs (preferably a house), but may need to be fairly close to Laurel itself (not sure yet). Our main consideration is a safe family area with decent travel links.

Looked at a site called crimereport.com and their seem to be a heck of a lot of sex offenders there!!!
Old May 6th 2011, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Looked at a site called crimereport.com and their seem to be a heck of a lot of sex offenders there!!!
They're everywhere!

Jim.
Old May 6th 2011, 4:04 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with the term "sex offender" is that it covers everything from an 18 y/o who got caught with his 17 y/o girlfriend to.. well, the worst you can imagine.
Old May 6th 2011, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The problem with the term "sex offender" is that it covers everything from an 18 y/o who got caught with his 17 y/o girlfriend to.. well, the worst you can imagine.
aye, and people caught taking a piss on the side of the road get put on the list too, well around here as it's included in the indecency list of offences.

anyway, to the OP, check out city-data.com as well....but it might help if you say what you're looking for in a location, if you've got family and kids etc as it'll make a difference on what you'd need and what appeals.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by newXgate
There are a number of options depending on your needs and willingness to commute, eg.

Surburban lifestyle with good schools - try Columbia or Ellicott City
Sort-of-urban with metro access - try Silver Spring or Bowie
You could probably get away with living in parts of Washington, DC and commuting to Laurel, if you don't mind a 30-40 minute commute.
Laurel itself is not a bad place to live.
Just read some posts about Colombia- it sounds terrible!!!!!!!

http://www.topix.net/forum/city/colu...KU3EBQDR0VORO1
(~half way down)
Old May 6th 2011, 6:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Just read some posts about Colombia- it sounds terrible!!!!!!!

http://www.topix.net/forum/city/colu...KU3EBQDR0VORO1
(~half way down)
Nowhere in the world is like it was in 1971.
Plus, don't you know not to read the online comments on a newspaper site? Every whackjob in the county comes out to comment and it's rarely an accurate glimpse at a community.
Old May 6th 2011, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

True, but am just worried about things after reading more about the area, e.g.:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...es-county.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.