Reload this Page >

Marrying in the US

Marrying in the US

Old Jun 14th 2015, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Deletedice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying in the US

Hi there,

Im going to be getting married to my partner who is an American Citizen and i am British. I did a quick search but couldnt find anything relevant.

The question is, do i need to register the marriage when i return to the UK or not? I understand that i would need to get it certified and the like, but nothing on the gov.uk website says anything about registering but only says that "There aren’t any British consular facilities to register a marriage or get legal documents to prove you’re eligible to marry in the USA" Which i am unsure to what that means...

Any help with this would be appreciated.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying in the US

You don't need to reregister in the UK a marriage outside the UK, and I'm not even sure there is even a way to do so (unlike births of British citizens, which can be reregistered). ...... I married my USC wife in the US, and then we lived as man and wife in the UK without anyone ever questioning why we didn't show as having a marriage that took place in the UK. Our US (VA) marriage certificate was sufficient for all occasions we were asked to prove we were married.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Deletedice is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much! Ive been like stressing out about this but you've answered my question fantastically! You even got married in the same state we are

Thank you again!
Old Jun 14th 2015, 5:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deletedice
Thank you so much! Ive been like stressing out about this but you've answered my question fantastically! You even got married in the same state we are

Thank you again!
You're welcome. ...... It was as easy as pie - bizarrely we weren't even asked for ID when we went to apply for our marriage license. I went prepared with passport, drivers licence, and birth certificate, but neither me nor the then-future Mrs P were asked for any ID at all! ..... I even put "N/A" in the space for my SSN, because at that time I didn't have one, and though I was asked why I didn't have one (I was not a USC or PR), no further questions were asked about what I was doing there. FWIW this was in 1999, so pre 9/11.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

We were the same but both Brits at the time. We arranged everything online from the UK with a chapel in Vegas. On the big day we went to the town hall first to pick up a license, just needed passports and that was that. Only problem we had was much later when we later applied for US residency, the marriage cert given by the chapel was not officially approved (no official stamp) and we had to apply online for a certified license from city hall. Just a few dollars and a couple of weeks later we were back in business.
As with Pulaski, we too were pre 9/11 and our marriage was just taken for granted, tax and all while we lived in the UK.
Old Jun 14th 2015, 9:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deletedice
The question is, do i need to register the marriage when i return to the UK or not?
No.

Rene
Old Jun 15th 2015, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Fatboyslick is an unknown quantity at this point

Similarly, we two brits married in LA and found out you dont need to tell anyone in the UK
Old Jun 22nd 2015, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a UK citizen who married a U.S. Citizen while here in the United States. 4 months after we were married in Virginia we moved to the UK. Hubby had no trouble getting his visa and national insurance number etc. we never had to register our marriage. When we applied for his visa to go to the UK we just needed our U.S. Marriage certificate as proof of marriage. Good luck :-)