Reload this Page >

Marrying on a student visa

Marrying on a student visa

Old Oct 30th 2002, 4:45 am
Just Joined

ivorywhisper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying on a student visa

Hi everyone

just to get a bit of advice, my boyfriend and I knew each other in Australia, where i was studying. After a lot of trouble with immigration, (2 denied applications) i was allowed a student visa to finish my studies in the US. The student visa wasnt easy to get because of my boyfriend being a us citizen.We intend to get married most probably at the end of next year. My question is if we get married, do i have to leave the US and then come back on the K1 visa? i would still have a year of school left, so it might be expensive, we are thinking of getting married early though so i can qualify for student loans and scholarships which i dont now because im an international student.

Anyway i would really appreciate some advice, i think that il probably have to leave the country but if anybody knows of any way in which i wouldnt have to, id be happy to hear about it.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 7:14 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marrying on a student visa

Originally posted by ivorywhisper
Hi everyone

just to get a bit of advice, my boyfriend and I knew each other in Australia, where i was studying. After a lot of trouble with immigration, (2 denied applications) i was allowed a student visa to finish my studies in the US. The student visa wasnt easy to get because of my boyfriend being a us citizen.We intend to get married most probably at the end of next year. My question is if we get married, do i have to leave the US and then come back on the K1 visa? i would still have a year of school left, so it might be expensive, we are thinking of getting married early though so i can qualify for student loans and scholarships which i dont now because im an international student.

Anyway i would really appreciate some advice, i think that il probably have to leave the country but if anybody knows of any way in which i wouldnt have to, id be happy to hear about it.
Hi:

If you get married, then there is no K-1 visa, that is for fiances.

It appears that you would be qualified to do a combined I-130/485 adjustment in the United States with no probelm.