Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Marriage Declaration - Daughters Passport application.

Marriage Declaration - Daughters Passport application.

Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

PandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant future
Default Marriage Declaration - Daughters Passport application.

So here's the latest chesnut from Passport office in Washington...

I received an email today from a <<snip>> at the Passport Office in Washington regarding my daughters passport application - it's been nearly 12 weeks after they took my money - asking for a Marriage declaration form completed by the mother confirming that she was not married to a third party at time of birth.

How is this relevant? Where did it say they needed this on my daughters application form?

I have provided clear and full disclosure - passport office has my long form birth certificate, my daughters long form birth certificate, my daughters Canadian passport, and a photocopy of my wife's Canadian passport signed by her in order that there is clearly "blood lineage" on the fathers side for British citizenship.

I wouldn't have even added the photocopy of the missus' passport if I hadn't lucked out and spotted it as a requirement in the general blurb on their website...it's not mentioned in the application form.

My "common law" wife of nearly 4 years, has been separated from her husband for 18 years now. Though technically still married to him, they haven't been a couple for that length of time. In any case what relevance is marital status anyway?

This is a "No Brainer" - I just don't get it and to hear 12 weeks after they've scooped my cash is just an additional kick in the balls.

If it really is a requirement for my wife to provide a marriage document from upteen years ago which has literally nothing to do with the conception or birth of my daughter, then we're living in the Dark Ages.

It's going to be challenging as my wife is now having to apply for a new copy of that marriage certificate as she does not have it any more.

Crap service, crap timing, crap antiquated ways. :curse:

I'm effing furious!

Last edited by Sue; Jun 20th 2011 at 5:30 pm. Reason: Please don't post names of member of PO staff on a public forum. Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:48 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by PandG
So here's the latest chesnut from Passport office in Washington...

I received an email today from a <snip> at the Passport Office in Washington regarding my daughters passport application - it's been nearly 12 weeks after they took my money - asking for a Marriage declaration form completed by the mother confirming that she was not married to a third party at time of birth.

How is this relevant? Where did it say they needed this on my daughters application form?

I have provided clear and full disclosure - passport office has my long form birth certificate, my daughters long form birth certificate, my daughters Canadian passport, and a photocopy of my wife's Canadian passport signed by her in order that there is clearly "blood lineage" on the fathers side for British citizenship.

I wouldn't have even added the photocopy of the missus' passport if I hadn't lucked out and spotted it as a requirement in the general blurb on their website...it's not mentioned in the application form.

My "common law" wife of nearly 4 years, has been separated from her husband for 18 years now. Though technically still married to him, they haven't been a couple for that length of time. In any case what relevance is marital status anyway?

This is a "No Brainer" - I just don't get it and to hear 12 weeks after they've scooped my cash is just an additional kick in the balls.

If it really is a requirement for my wife to provide a marriage document from upteen years ago which has literally nothing to do with the conception or birth of my daughter, then we're living in the Dark Ages.

It's going to be challenging as my wife is now having to apply for a new copy of that marriage certificate as she does not have it any more.

Crap service, crap timing, crap antiquated ways. :curse:

I'm effing furious!

why do you need the marriage certificate? they are asking for a declaration.. I can see why they are aking for such document..

sorry for your frustration but I am glad that the passport office is following up and checking before issuing first time passpors..
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

PandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant futurePandG has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by candy wy.
why do you need the marriage certificate? they are asking for a declaration.. I can see why they are aking for such document..

sorry for your frustration but I am glad that the passport office is following up and checking before issuing first time passpors..

I still don't get it...

Doc 1: British long form Birth Cert of Father
Doc 2: Canadian Long Form Birth Cert of daughter with Mother and Fathers full names.
Doc 3: Canadian Passport of daughter
Doc 4: Photocopy of Canadian Mother's passport

What possible relevance is a marriage certificate of the mother to another guy in proving anything here...it's not a background check of any kind...it proves nothing.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:58 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't get it...

Doc 1: British long form Birth Cert of Father
Doc 2: Canadian Long Form Birth Cert of daughter with Mother and Fathers full names.
Doc 3: Canadian Passport of daughter
Doc 4: Photocopy of Canadian Mother's passport

What possible relevance is a marriage certificate of the mother to another guy in proving anything here...it's not a background check of any kind...it proves nothing.
they are asking for a declaration not a marriage certificate.....why do you keep saying marriage certificate?
it is often assumed that the peron you are married to is the father of the child as your partner is still married to someone else they are asking for a declaration that she was not with her spouse at the time.. anyone can put there name on a birth certificate....

that is my take on this..

Last edited by candy wy.; Jun 20th 2011 at 5:00 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

they are asking for a declaration not a marriage certificate.....
it is often assumed that the peron you are married to is the father of the child as your partner is still married to someone else they are asking for a declaration that she was not with her spouse at the time.. anyone can put there name on a birth certificate....

Actually no, they are asking for the declaration, and if you are still married to that person, they want the certificate too. It says so right on the form that Mr <snip> sent to me.

Last edited by Sue; Jun 20th 2011 at 6:10 pm. Reason: Name removed.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

they are asking for a declaration not a marriage certificate.....

I think it is a bit more "than not with". It appears to be "not married to". Assuming the contents of the request has been posted here accurately.

asking for a Marriage declaration form completed by the mother confirming that she was not married to a third party at time of birth.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:04 pm
staying around

Actually no, they are asking for the declaration, and if you are still married to that person, they want the certificate too. It says so right on the form that Mr <snip> sent to me.
fine you just didn't put that in your first part of your post....I would still say the declaration is the important thing the marriage certificate just confirms names and dates on the declaration..
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

they are asking for a declaration not a marriage certificate.....why do you keep saying marriage certificate?

As an aside...you'd have to be a really special (or REALLY stupid) kind of guy to willingly put your name on a birth certificate as the father if the child wasn't yours!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:05 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think it is a bit more "than not with". It appears to be "not married to". Assuming the contents of the request has been posted here accurately.

kinda screwed if thats the case ..........although DNA testing is possible probably?
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:06 pm
staying around

As an aside...you'd have to be a really special (or REALLY stupid) kind of guy to willingly put your name on a birth certificate as the father if the child wasn't yours!
hey it happens a lot......
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

kinda screwed if thats the case ..........although DNA testing is possible probably?
That part was quoted directly from Mr <snip> email. I love copy/paste!

Last edited by Sue; Jun 20th 2011 at 5:53 pm. Reason: name removed
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

hey it happens a lot......
I don't doubt it actually...

I just think that all the paperwork they have - under any other circumstances - would be enough to issue a passport. If she had been born in the UK and had a UK birth cert, I bet this wouldn't even be an issue.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:14 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

That part was quoted directly from Mr <snip> email. I love copy/paste!
In that case that is exactly what they are asking. A declaration she wasn't married to anyone else at the time of the birth.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lansbury
In that case that is exactly what they are asking. A declaration she wasn't married to anyone else at the time of the birth.
But she technically was...she's never divorced from her ex of 18 years!

I still say it's completely irrelevant though.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:30 pm
staying around

But she technically was...she's never divorced from her ex of 18 years!

I still say it's completely irrelevant though.

does not matter what you think is irrelevant..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.