Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher

Wikiposts

Margaret Thatcher

Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:41 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher

Originally Posted by Mercedes
So those who are anti Thatcher, do you think Blair and his Government have made life much better for UK? I haven't known so many people who want to get out of UK. I don't know all her politics but I know it was easier for businesses then and her government did encourage people to buy their own houses and be more independent. I actually like the American way of being able to be sacked, because nothing is worse than not being able to get rid of staff that are a waste of work space. The standards were certainly higher under her rule than they are now in the UK. I never heard of any soldier that she sent to war being allowed to get sued or punished for trying to do their job. I personally would rather her or someone with balls like her be in power, than the current British government. Since the Falklands was mentioned it would be interesting of how future generations rate the war in Iraq that Tony has sent us to and how many innocent deaths have/will have been attributed because of it.

well, you obviously didn't live through the miners strike.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:43 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
Or anywhere north of the North Circular during the 80s.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:46 am
Brit'n'TX

like her or hate her, she did the country a great service by breaking the stranglehold the unions had on industry - though the damage they did was probably irreparable and largely responsible for the state of the UK's manufacturing economy today ..

Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:49 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
like her or hate her, she did the country a great service by breaking the stranglehold the unions had on industry - though the damage they did was probably irreparable and largely responsible for the state of the UK's manufacturing economy today ..
it was thatchers policies that have the UK in the state it is in today, not the unions.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:53 am
Brit'n'TX

it was thatchers policies that have the UK in the state it is in today, not the unions.
I beg to differ ... the unions and their continual strikes and works-to-rule made sure British industries were uncompetitive in the world market ..

the unions, a once brilliant idea, abused their power unforgivably through the 70's and early 80's ...

Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:54 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

though the damage they did was probably irreparable and largely responsible for the state of the UK's manufacturing economy today ..
The state of manufacturing in the old heavy industries is the same in the U.S. - the heavy industries died. It's not the industrial revolution any more, and that wasn't caused by the unions.

I know we've had this discussion before on here - but the beef isn't so much with her union troubles when she came into power, but her economic policies which drove the north of England into utter ruin and inflicted so much misery on so many people. It's easy to say it was "good for the country" when it's not affecting one's own family. What about that legacy?

And then there's the whole tea party with Pinochet thing...........

And why am I discussing Thatcher over breakfast?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 12:57 am
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The state of manufacturing in the old heavy industries is the same in the U.S. - the heavy industries died. It's not the industrial revolution any more, and that wasn't caused by the unions.

I know we've had this discussion before on here - but the beef isn't so much with her union troubles when she came into power, but her economic policies which drove the north of England into utter ruin and inflicted so much misery on so many people. It's easy to say it was "good for the country" when it's not affecting one's own family. What about that legacy?

And then there's the whole tea party with Pinochet thing...........

And why am I discussing Thatcher over breakfast?
the same reason I am discussing it at my desk on a saturday morning?

I am not a great fan of MT, just the job she did in bringing the unions to heel ... a job somebody had to do, IMHO ..

Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:02 am

I am not a great fan of MT, just the job she did in bringing the unions to heel ... a job somebody had to do, IMHO ..
If she hadn't had the income from north sea oil, she wouldn't have been able to do any of it. No cheap oil or benefits from the income for the people of the UK - it funded government coffers so they could afford to have high interest rates, and the sky-high unemployment that went with the crushing of inflation and the large-scale privatizations.

What the hell are you doing at your desk on a Sat.?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:03 am
Keeping it fairly real

and that is my exact point, she crushed the unions on her crusade but the legacy she left in my communities was devastating.

and what did she do about those forgotten communities?

absolutely **** all.

the things I've seen would make your blood boil.

and why am I talking about her when the cricket is on anyway?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:04 am

and that is my exact point, she crushed the unions on her crusade but the legacy she left in my communities was devastating.

and what did she do about those forgotten communities?

absolutely **** all.

the things I've seen would make your blood boil.
Well that's cos there's no such thing as society Walla. We're not responsible for each other, remember?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:04 am
Brit'n'TX

If she hadn't had the income from north sea oil, she wouldn't have been able to do any of it. No cheap oil or benefits from the income for the people of the UK - it funded government coffers so they could afford to have high interest rates, and the sky-high unemployment that went with the crushing of inflation and the large-scale privatizations.

What the hell are you doing at your desk on a Sat.?
I usually come in on a sat. when Cheryl is working the weekend ... I get her to work by 6.30, then come on to the office ...

Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:05 am
Keeping it fairly real

Well that's cos there's no such thing as society Walla. We're not responsible for each other, remember?
not in thatcher's world anyway.....
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:05 am

I usually come in on a sat. when Cheryl is working the weekend ... I get her to work by 6.30, then come on to the office ...
Bad plan. Go home, read a book, get some exercise, cook dinner, drink yourself silly...........there's life after work you know.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did, I remember them. I'm not saying she was perfect, I certainly wouldn't want the job, but still think she was better than what has replaced her since.
Old Aug 27th 2005, 1:07 am

not in thatcher's world anyway.....

Unless she needs to plunk down bail for her coup-sponsoring son. Then it's ok to help out. Am I sounding bitter here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.