Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Margaret Thatcher

Wikiposts

Margaret Thatcher

Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:43 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Margaret Thatcher

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Yep -- don't think she liked the railways much. But I believe it was actually threepence halpenny she got for it after clouting them with her handbag.
But they stole a couple of loose ha'pennies that fell out of the handbag as she whacked them with it....so the net cost was maybe tuppence ha'penny.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
But they stole a couple of loose ha'pennies that fell out of the handbag as she whacked them with it....so the net cost was maybe tuppence ha'penny.

Hey, we joke but there was gold in them there hills! Many made a tidy little sum on her privatizations. It was known as a tax rebate for those who could read and write properly. I think if she had just done the one (or possibly even 2 terms) and gone, she may have been looked on more favourably as a PM who gave Britain a well-needed boot up the arse. But once she thought she was the reincarnation of Churchill and the madness started to take over, it was a scary bloody ride.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:00 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

But once she thought she was the reincarnation of Churchill and the madness started to take over, it was a scary bloody ride.
And it's not over.....

well, the trains don't move very much. that is a point.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:33 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace

She was in power during my school years, so I didn't pay a lot of attention to politics at that point (still don't pay that much attention now ).
Mine too. I remember a lot of strikes and days off. Dinner ladies went on strike, teachers went on strike. Everyone went on strike. We all loved it. Not shore iff my edyookayshun sufferd mutch.

And then there were Baker days
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:36 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Mine too. I remember a lot of strikes and days off. Dinner ladies went on strike, teachers went on strike. Everyone went on strike. We all loved it. Not shore iff my edyookayshun sufferd mutch.

And then there were Baker days
Baker days?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:41 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izibear
Baker days?
Kenneth Baker introduced teacher training (INSET) days. They were known as Baker days when they first came in. Now they're just called INSET (In-Service Training).

All the kids got the day off school, the teachers had to go in and do training.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

She has left a living legacy, her son.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:52 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Originally Posted by tony126
She has left a living legacy, her son.
<snort>

What a fine legacy for any woman to leave. She must be so proud.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:55 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, we joke but there was gold in them there hills! Many made a tidy little sum on her privatizations. It was known as a tax rebate for those who could read and write properly. I think if she had just done the one (or possibly even 2 terms) and gone, she may have been looked on more favourably as a PM who gave Britain a well-needed boot up the arse. But once she thought she was the reincarnation of Churchill and the madness started to take over, it was a scary bloody ride.
selling something that belonged to the general public, back to the general public.

genius.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:58 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
selling something that belonged to the general public, back to the general public.

genius.

Kept the plebs happy.
Got rid of much of the union problem for her.
Provided income for the exchequer.

It was the days of "creative accounting".

Unfortunately genius and madness are near synonyms.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:24 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Kenneth Baker introduced teacher training (INSET) days. They were known as Baker days when they first came in. Now they're just called INSET (In-Service Training).

All the kids got the day off school, the teachers had to go in and do training.
Here they have "in service days" and years ago, as a young parent I had never heard the term. At a Home and School Assoc. meeting I asked why it was an "In service" day when the school was out of service. Everyone looked at me as though I was nuts.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:25 am
Lapine Member

It was the days of "creative accounting".
Enron must have read her biography.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:34 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Enron must have read her biography.
Nice to have ideas going t'other way across the pond occasionally.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:13 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yep -- don't think she liked the railways much..
No, she didn't like the railways - because she didn't use them.

She didn't like the NHS either - because she didn't use it. (Remember that famous quote about going into hospital 'at a time of my own choosing' when she needed to get her varicose veins done?)

I don't think she saw much point in state schools either - because ... etc etc.

As for helping working mothers - she did it all on her own didn't she, so why can't everyone? Another famous quote about women always having made their "own arrangements" for childcare, and they can bloody well continue to do so... (Someone remind me, wasn't she married to a millionaire?)

The long and the short of it, if she didn't need it, why would anyone else? If she could be self-sufficient, why can't everyone?

Bloody cow!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:29 am
Just Joined

moosetreker is an unknown quantity at this point

She defeated Galtieri and Scargill so if there were nothing else we should be thankful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.