Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Manhattan Salary

Manhattan Salary

Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Spike80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manhattan Salary

Is $100,000 - $110,000 a reasonable salary to live in Manhattan on and have a relatively comfortable lifestyle, single, no kids, out most nights etc. Or am I Brooklyn bound?

thanks
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:48 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manhattan Salary

Originally Posted by Spike80
Is $100,000 - $110,000 a reasonable salary to live in Manhattan on and have a relatively comfortable lifestyle, single, no kids, out most nights etc. Or am I Brooklyn bound?

thanks
you will be out most nights indeed

selling your arse on a street corner to make up that pitiful wage.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 12:09 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Is $100,000 - $110,000 a reasonable salary to live in Manhattan on and have a relatively comfortable lifestyle, single, no kids, out most nights etc.
yes if you don't mind paying $3000/month for a studio flat or sharing a flat with others
Old Aug 4th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

When I first came here I knew a lady who lived and worked on 34th street, she was a feelance graphic artist and the rent on her appt was over $3k a month. I never asked how much she earned but it must have been vast amounts as she led a busy social life at night,
She was a very good friend who I lost touch with about 5 years ago when she moved out to Long Island ......... Hope you are ok Sherry
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:43 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, of course it is. Rent is expensive but that's a large salary. If you want to live in Manhattan and go out all the time, that's a fine amount of money. If you can get more, obviously, do - you might not be saving much...

I'm mystified why Manhattan is regarded as perfection and all of Brooklyn is seen as Thar Be Dragons ghetto, and why that snobbery is most pronounced by people living on E630th St with a one hour commute downtown. (Bits of) Brooklyn is great. Manhattan's just an island of Duane Reades and Citibanks now, isn't it?
Old Aug 5th 2007, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Spending a couple of nights a week in Yonkers each week I see the life that goes on there. It seems a hive of activity, people of all race creed and colour are out and about. In the parks playing ball and congregating in the streets. I find it to be a thriving friendly comunity and that goes for just a bit south in the Bronx too. .......... Why pay all that extra money to live in the city ?
Old Aug 5th 2007, 6:34 am
Just Joined

okay was that a yes?

To be honest I'm not sure what the salary will be but I have seen some jobs starting at minium those figures, hopefully it will be more

I don't mind living out of manhattan or sharing for that matter, I just wanted to get a realistic idea of what that can get me,
Old Aug 5th 2007, 6:46 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

okay was that a yes?

To be honest I'm not sure what the salary will be but I have seen some jobs starting at minium those figures, hopefully it will be more

I don't mind living out of manhattan or sharing for that matter, I just wanted to get a realistic idea of what that can get me,
$100K will give you a take home of around $5k - $5.5K pcm. If you rent on your own it will vary from $2K-$3K pcm

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/aap/

If you share it'll drop to $1K - $1.5 pcm and you may meet some mates

If you are going to work in NYC you have to try living in Manhattan, if only for a year before moving out to the boonies if you have decided to give up on life.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jholmes is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks
Try to negotiate a bit higher, its a bit stretch for that amount.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 12:24 am
JCR
JCR

JCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of lightJCR is a glorious beacon of light

okay was that a yes?

As a long time resident of Chelsea, considered one of Manhattan's more expensive neighbourhoods, I was astonished by the responses to your query. I manage to live comfortably on a lot less than $100K, although I am not out throwing money around in bars and restaurants every night. Groceries are a large expense (buy everything at Whole Foods!) and support 5 cats with high quality cat food yet still manage very well in retirement on less than $50K. I suppose it really depends on what your tastes are. And remember that old English saying about cutting your coat according to your cloth........or something to that effect! I hope you give Manhattan a try.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 5:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

you in the US already? you a USC?

If not, what visa are you looking at? Once that's sorted, then worry about the details because it could all become a moot point.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:42 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCR
As a long time resident of Chelsea, considered one of Manhattan's more expensive neighbourhoods, I was astonished by the responses to your query. I manage to live comfortably on a lot less than $100K, although I am not out throwing money around in bars and restaurants every night. Groceries are a large expense (buy everything at Whole Foods!) and support 5 cats with high quality cat food yet still manage very well in retirement on less than $50K. I suppose it really depends on what your tastes are. And remember that old English saying about cutting your coat according to your cloth........or something to that effect! I hope you give Manhattan a try.
There are some good points here. You can survive on this salary. You will have some expenses that might differ though. Long term residents already have pots and pan and wineglasses and cutlery and pot holders and tvs and coffee tables and the such, so your initial settling in costs (assuming you don't bring much from the UK) might crimp your style for a few months while you stock up on necessities. But after that, depending on your style and how much you go out, you should be ok to live on the island and have a bit of fun.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 4:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
you in the US already? you a USC?

If not, what visa are you looking at? Once that's sorted, then worry about the details because it could all become a moot point.
I can get an EB2 visa, I am in the very early stages of thinking about a move and was just testing the water to see if it would be realistic
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

apw619 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good idea to research before arriving!

If considering Brooklyn, you can also consider Hoboken in NJ, still not cheap but an easy commute (google PATH train) and lots of nightlife. Same may go for Newport/Jersey City.

Trust you are researching taxes: as well as federal you will be paying state and possibly local taxes, and social security; and then you will be paying sales taxes. Not sure about the visa you mentioned, but some visas entitle you to claim almost everything you spend in the first year against taxes - so contact a good accountant.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 9:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by apw619
Good idea to research before arriving!

If considering Brooklyn, you can also consider Hoboken in NJ, still not cheap but an easy commute (google PATH train) and lots of nightlife. Same may go for Newport/Jersey City.

Trust you are researching taxes: as well as federal you will be paying state and possibly local taxes, and social security; and then you will be paying sales taxes. Not sure about the visa you mentioned, but some visas entitle you to claim almost everything you spend in the first year against taxes - so contact a good accountant.
If working in the NYC he will be paying city tax too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.