Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Manchester Airport Car Hire

Manchester Airport Car Hire

Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:03 am
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Manchester Airport Car Hire

My wife and I will be doing the annual UK visit in 3 weeks and will need to get a car rented in MCR.

Anybody got any recent experiences ?

I used 1car1 last year from LHR which was very cheap initially but lousy when it came to paint damage.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:20 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manchester Airport Car Hire

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
My wife and I will be doing the annual UK visit in 3 weeks and will need to get a car rented in MCR.
Anybody got any recent experiences ?
Last month I used http://www.nationalcar.com/ ..picked it up from an off airport site to cut cost ... even reimbursed me for the oil I put in it ...
quite efficicient....
Old Jun 26th 2006, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My husband prefers to use Hertz or Avis as there tends to be less hassle with these companies...we used Avis at Christmas.

When I was there in November I used 1 Car 1, but collected the car in Warrington. It was a brand new car and I didn't have any hassle with regard to paint chips, etc.

If you have an UK driving licence the rates are cheaper than using a US licence. If you book on line I think you will have to use your US licence because of your address.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:19 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
My husband prefers to use Hertz or Avis as there tends to be less hassle with these companies...we used Avis at Christmas.

When I was there in November I used 1 Car 1, but collected the car in Warrington. It was a brand new car and I didn't have any hassle with regard to paint chips, etc.

If you have an UK driving licence the rates are cheaper than using a US licence. If you book on line I think you will have to use your US licence because of your address.
I still have my UK licence (new photo type) with my Mother's address (aka my domicile) on it. However my Credit Cards are all Florida. I guess I am screwed at pretending I live in the UK.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I still have my UK licence (new photo type) with my Mother's address (aka my domicile) on it. However my Credit Cards are all Florida. I guess I am screwed at pretending I live in the UK.

Yes same here re. new licence. I still have bank/building society accounts in the UK too.

Actually last November I stayed with my sister so she collected me from the airport. After a couple of days I decided I wanted to rent a car, so I went into the 1 Car 1 office in Warrington. I told them I lived in the US and held a UK and US licence. They said the UK licence would do nicely.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes same here re. new licence. I still have bank/building society accounts in the UK too.

Actually last November I stayed with my sister so she collected me from the airport. After a couple of days I decided I wanted to rent a car, so I went into the 1 Car 1 office in Warrington. I told them I lived in the US and held a UK and US licence. They said the UK licence would do nicely.
I just checked out 1car1, Hertz, AVIS, National, Travelocity (no name) and Expedia (Alamo).

An Astra "5-door" auto/AC is £365 with 1car1 for 2 weeks all-in.

The next closest is National at £336 PLUS insurance. Unfortunately the links to their many insurance options all go to a description of a child seat.

Hertz is expensive and AVIS has has no automatics.

1car1's web site implies that the MAN office is closed on Sundays. I have emailed them for clarification.

I hate renting cars in the UK.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I just checked out 1car1, Hertz, AVIS, National, Travelocity (no name) and Expedia (Alamo).

An Astra "5-door" auto/AC is £365 with 1car1 for 2 weeks all-in.

The next closest is National at £336 PLUS insurance. Unfortunately the links to their many insurance options all go to a description of a child seat.

Hertz is expensive and AVIS has has no automatics.

1car1's web site implies that the MAN office is closed on Sundays. I have emailed them for clarification.

I hate renting cars in the UK.
That's exactly what I rented it cost 140 pounds for the week, all inc. but it was manual.

Such a pain isn't it? Having to inspect the car and note any marks on the little diagram.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:11 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

National car and alamo appear to be the same now .. was same office in south london.. I got the basic auto ..thought I was getting a Puegot 307
but got a little mercedes A class with a turbodiesel ..
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

We got an amazing deal wtih Sixt last Chrimbo.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
We got an amazing deal wtih Sixt last Chrimbo.
http://www.e-sixt.co.uk/

Never heard of them but their "Database is not accessible at this time" right now.

How was the experience ?
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:44 pm
Ray

http://www.e-sixt.co.uk/
Never heard of them but their "Database is not accessible at this time" right now.
Working for me ... put a shilling in your meter ...
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Working for me ... put a shilling in your meter ...
It's after you put your dates in and click next - I get a red banner "Sixt database does not respond. Please try again later".

It seems that they bought Kenning's out in 2000.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 11:52 pm
Ray

It's after you put your dates in and click next - I get a red banner "Sixt database does not respond. Please try again later".

It seems that they bought Kenning's out in 2000.
Your right .... I never tried that far .....
Old Jun 27th 2006, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Your right .... I never tried that far .....
It's working now (9:49pm EST)
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I use Hertz or Avis from both Manchester and Gatwick - and have been happy with both - they have been the cheapest recently for me of the 'big boys' I have steered away from the smaller operations such as 1car1 so have no experience of them. Avis has been cheapest recently and they usually have automatics. The only annoying thing is that they estimate the cost and it works out higher with the premium site taxes - but not by much. Use a US card with insurance and decline theirs and the prices are pretty good - I had a peugeot 307 convertible for 3 days for less than 100 GBP. I would buy the fuel from them as it is usually a good deal cheaper. And you pick up and drop off at terminal so there is no messing around with buses!!

Avis have also started guaranteeing the make and model you select at certain airports which is good if you are picky!

Last edited by Big D; Jun 27th 2006 at 9:58 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.