Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Making a will...

Making a will...

Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default Making a will...

We currently have no will and looking to make one. We are L visa holders (applying for GC) and all beneficiaries would be UK based.

We'll talk to a lawyer but does anyone know if we need a UK will as well as a US one? Are they very different or should one hold up in either country? This is to cater for guardianship of kids as well as money.

Just not sure whether to contact a UK or a US lawyer first. Any tips or experience appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:12 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making a will...

I would be interested in this as well - maybe we can get a BOGOF deal
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75
We'll talk to a lawyer but does anyone know if we need a UK will as well as a US one?
I believe a will is valid only under the laws of the country where it was executed. Therefore, a will executed in the US will only be valid in the US. Regardless, a beneficiary of the will can live anywhere. Also, the most recent will will invalidate all others and supersede them... so if/when you return to the UK you can have a new will drawn up (or adapt the US one) which will then be valid in the UK and supersede the US one.

Ian
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:15 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

We currently have no will and looking to make one. We are L visa holders (applying for GC) and all beneficiaries would be UK based.
Is this the royal "we"?

If not, are you sure there are no intentions to leave stuff to each other? That has a big potential tax implication.

The key thing to watch out for is the tax situation, so certainly when you discuss with a lawyer make sure they fully understand the implications of the fact that you are not US citizens.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

We'll talk to a lawyer but does anyone know if we need a UK will as well as a US one? Are they very different or should one hold up in either country? This is to cater for guardianship of kids as well as money.

Just not sure whether to contact a UK or a US lawyer first. Any tips or experience appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug.
We just done ours with LegalZoom.com around $75
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:23 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe a will is valid only under the laws of the country where it was executed. Therefore, a will executed in the US will only be valid in the US. Regardless, a beneficiary of the will can live anywhere. Also, the most recent will will invalidate all others and supersede them... so if/when you return to the UK you can have a new will drawn up (or adapt the US one) which will then be valid in the UK and supersede the US one.

Ian
I will also be following this thread with interest as we need to get our wills in place - me and Hubby - what happens if we have property in the UK, do we put that into a will in the US, or do we need to get 2 wills done. We did speak to our solicitor in the UK but she was unsure and said to ask someone over here first.

We have been dragging our heels on this, I have given myself 2010 to get this sorted!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that you normally file a will with the country/state that you are domiciled (the laws of one state may differ from another on wills).

The primary issue will likely be taxation. In the US, estate tax is normally not accessed when the beneficiary is the spouse. When assets are in different countries or states, that can complicate tax issues (tax treaties, probates, etc.).

The following are the estate tax exemptions for federal and state.

http://wills.about.com/od/understand...tetaxchart.htm

Last edited by Michael; Apr 19th 2010 at 7:44 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by celticgrid
Is this the royal "we"?

If not, are you sure there are no intentions to leave stuff to each other? That has a big potential tax implication.

The key thing to watch out for is the tax situation, so certainly when you discuss with a lawyer make sure they fully understand the implications of the fact that you are not US citizens.
Good point - I forgot about the missus. Yes - first tier of beneficiaries would be US based, although not sure what happens to my L2's status-wise if I were to die prior to GC - assume they have a period of grace before leaving?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:51 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
My understanding is that you normally file a will with the country/state that you are domiciled (the laws of one state may differ from another on wills).

The primary issue will likely be taxation. In the US, estate tax is normally not accessed when the beneficiary is the spouse. When assets are in different countries or states, that can complicate tax issues (tax treaties, probates, etc.).

The following are the estate tax exemptions for federal and state.

http://wills.about.com/od/understand...tetaxchart.htm
Thanks for this - some nightime reading for us!!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:15 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Good point - I forgot about the missus. Yes - first tier of beneficiaries would be US based, although not sure what happens to my L2's status-wise if I were to die prior to GC - assume they have a period of grace before leaving?
I read 'somewhere' that if hubby pops his clogs while we are on the L visas me (and dude) have something like a month to pack our bags and get out but what you have to do is apply for a B? Visa which gives you extra time to sort everything out before being chucked out. Something along those lines anyway.

Like I won't have anything better to think about than visas - you know like funerals, grieving or oh yeah and how to spend all his money
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

She would have to leave the US...not sure what the time line would be...maybe 30 days. I remember one of the 9/11 widows was a L2 and was required to leave...however the President gave her permission to stay due to the circumstances.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

Semi-retired is an unknown quantity at this point

You do need a separate will for each country - beneficiaries can live anywhere as has been said. I can only speak for the UK wills - don't automatically think that the only option or choice is to leave assets to each other - this is where they can get sold off to pay for care etc in this country - if you are here that is. The US, as well as other countries, will have there own laws/rules etc.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Legal Zoom.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I believe a will is valid only under the laws of the country where it was executed.
A broad statement without a reference?

In reality, most jurisdictions do have procedures to accept out-of-jurisdiction wills for probate. That said, it is usually better to have a will in the same jurisdiction as the majority of one's assets.

Having two wills is a solution for some, but unless they are very clearly worded, may be more of a problem.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A broad statement without a reference?
No, a very narrow and precise statement about what Ian believes.

While you may not agree with that statement I have little doubt that Ian does believe it ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.