Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Making up words

Making up words

Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:08 am
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making up words

This has probably been said before, but i have noticed recently that Americans like to make words up. Not in the sense of making a up a new word but by using a word in a different way. example.

I was working on a presentation and the women I was working with suggested that I 'bulletize' those points.

I have just noticed today that the company website has the word 'technologies' now im sure that isnt a real word. It says that we have good technologies, couldnt it just read we have good technology?

Another one is values, which seems to be used out of context all the time, as in a shop has 'great values'? doesnt that suggest that the shop has good morals?

Now im not a master of the english language but making words up just seems strange and a little lazy.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making up words

Originally Posted by mattbutt
This has probably been said before, but i have noticed recently that Americans like to make words up. Not in the sense of making a up a new word but by using a word in a different way. example.

I was working on a presentation and the women I was working with suggested that I 'bulletize' those points.

I have just noticed today that the company website has the word 'technologies' now im sure that isnt a real word. It says that we have good technologies, couldnt it just read we have good technology?

Another one is values, which seems to be used out of context all the time, as in a shop has 'great values'? doesnt that suggest that the shop has good morals?

Now im not a master of the english language but making words up just seems strange and a little lazy.

I saw 'Mens Furnishings' in Nordstrums yesterday. I've never heard that term before I came to the US.

-tom
Old Oct 18th 2004, 3:45 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

"Bulletize" has been in use for years in the UK too. You can blame Microsoft PowerPoint for that one, I think (so yes, that particular bastardisation come from the US originally).

Technologies is potentially a better use of the word than your singular usage. People refer to "technology" to encompass a multitude of technologies, when in fact each is a discrete item. My company has Technologies in the name because we make a number of products, some of which use one technology, others which use another, totally distinct technology, but all of which serve the same general purpose.

Yes, they love to mangle the English language over here and if they're too ill-educated to know the right word to use, they make one up from simpler words. I agree completely. I just don't agree with your examples

"Weaponize" - to make something into a weapon. Dreadful, stupid word.

Others too many to mention... and I can't think of a single one right now
Old Oct 18th 2004, 7:58 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I hate "gotten" It just doesn't sound right. I was so sure that it wasn't a word that I reached for the dictionary - only to be proved wrong
Old Oct 18th 2004, 11:44 am
Desert spaces

Becs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud ofBecs has much to be proud of

Irrelevant, but how's it hanging in NJ ? I used to live in Old Tappan, Bergen County.

-Becs
Old Oct 18th 2004, 12:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScousePete
I hate "gotten" It just doesn't sound right. I was so sure that it wasn't a word that I reached for the dictionary - only to be proved wrong
Worse than that, I think it's an old English usage that is no longer used in the UK, but prospers in the US.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

'Thunk'!!!!arrrrrgh!,I've even heard a newscaster use it while reading the news!!!!!
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:24 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I saw 'Mens Furnishings' in Nordstrums yesterday. I've never heard that term before I came to the US.

-tom
What kind of things are to be found in "Men's Furnishings"? I understand Home Furnishings but I've not run across "Men's Furnishings". Maybe it's a seasonal thing.

NC Penguin
Old Oct 18th 2004, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
What kind of things are to be found in "Men's Furnishings"? I understand Home Furnishings but I've not run across "Men's Furnishings". Maybe it's a seasonal thing.

NC Penguin

It's just the mens section in a department store.

-tom
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Then there is "Burglarised" instead of "Burgled", and the expression "visiting with" someone instead of visiting.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:06 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
It's just the mens section in a department store.

-tom
Men's clothes? What other items would be sold to and targeted directly to men other than clothes?

If it's clothes, then it would be much clearer to just name the department "Men's Clothing".

NC Penguin
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:30 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

i've heard the word 'stripety' te mean stripey

also, supposebly makes an appearance now and then
Old Oct 18th 2004, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

mattbutt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
"Bulletize" has been in use for years in the UK too. You can blame Microsoft PowerPoint for that one, I think (so yes, that particular bastardisation come from the US originally).

Yes, they love to mangle the English language over here and if they're too ill-educated to know the right word to use, they make one up from simpler words. I agree completely. I just don't agree with your examples

Others too many to mention... and I can't think of a single one right now
Im pretty sure Bulletize is not a word, it doesnt even come up on my spell checker.
Old Oct 18th 2004, 3:52 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
Men's Furnishings would be a sofa, remote control, tv, and mini-fridge containing beer
Old Oct 18th 2004, 3:58 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Two from the sporting world:

Winningest ("He's the winningest coach in NFL history")

Quickness ("He's got good speed and quickness" - John Madden, surely they mean the same thing?).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.