Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Making illegal legal

Making illegal legal

Old May 16th 2004, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

iamdavid99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making illegal legal

I am now 46 years old and came to the US in 1997 on holiday, met someone and stayed. Stupidly I did not do anything about making my stay officially legal. I have now been in the US for 6 1/2 years, and really want to make my status legal.

I have not done anything illegal whilst here, not evaded taxes or driven a vehicle without a license, murdered anyone or committed a robbery!

Does anyone know of a way that I can change my status to that of a legal resident so that I can apply for a Green card and even citizenship if necessary.

I have a life here in the US which I want to preserve, and as I understand it if I am caught I will be deported and banned from the US for life.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks,

David
Old May 16th 2004, 6:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making illegal legal

Originally posted by iamdavid99
I am now 46 years old and came to the US in 1997 on holiday, met someone and stayed. Stupidly I did not do anything about making my stay officially legal. I have now been in the US for 6 1/2 years, and really want to make my status legal.
I have not done anything illegal whilst here, not evaded taxes or driven a vehicle without a license, murdered anyone or committed a robbery!
Does anyone know of a way that I can change my status to that of a legal resident so that I can apply for a Green card and even citizenship if necessary.
I have a life here in the US which I want to preserve, and as I understand it if I am caught I will be deported and banned from the US for life.
Thanks,
David
Go see a Immigration Lawyer..

?? How did you get a SSN???
Old May 16th 2004, 11:44 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

David

Except of course a serious immigration fraud!!

Unless you are married to a US citizen you are most likely going to get deported. I cant see much chance for an Adjustment of status after such a long overstay. Youve been an idiot and will probabaly be out of luck but as i suspect your actually a troll who cares.

If are genuine get an immigration lawyer and look at the immigration board this one is for those of us here already (LEGALLY).
Old May 17th 2004, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Duncs
Except of course a serious immigration fraud!!

Unless you are married to a US citizen you are most likely going to get deported. I cant see much chance for an Adjustment of status after such a long overstay. Youve been an idiot and will probabaly be out of luck but as i suspect your actually a troll who cares.

If are genuine get an immigration lawyer and look at the immigration board this one is for those of us here already (LEGALLY).
WOW! Thanks for the kind words.

Yes my immigration status is illegal and yes I have been stupid, but there were reasons at the time, why I did not do anything about it, whic were mainly to do with my on ignorance, and when I realized my folly it was too late. That's why I asked the question, and I cannot see why you have to be so totally obnoxious in your response. If you have nothing say then keep out of it. I only asked a question.
Old May 17th 2004, 3:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my immigration status is illegal and yes I have been stupid, but there were reasons at the time, why I did not do anything about it, whic were mainly to do with my on ignorance, and when I realized my folly it was too late. That's why I asked the question, and I cannot see why you have to be so totally obnoxious in your response. If you have nothing say then keep out of it. I only asked a question.
Get over yourself. You broke the law and should expect people to tell you their opinion. Many people on this board have spent a lot of time, money, and effort to enter this country through the correct procedures. What do you expect? Sympathy? You've been here over 6 years - you mean you were ignorant of immigration law the whole time?

"There were reasons at the time" - I think you mean "excuses".

You've been given the best piece of advice already. Get a good immigration lawyer. Get on the immigration board - but don't expect smooth sailing there either.
Old May 17th 2004, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really niceAlisonPA is just really nice

Thanks,

David
How are you working and as you say "not evading taxes", got a driving licence and a SSN?
Old May 17th 2004, 6:04 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AlisonPA
How are you working and as you say "not evading taxes", got a driving licence and a SSN?

Actually, leaving aside the question of being here illegally or not (i.e. please don't yell at me, I'm not advocating, just describing), one certainly can both work here and pay taxes without legal status. As we already know, the country is full of people more than willing to hire people to work without the correct documentation. Second, as has been discussed on other threads, there are assorted ways to legally obtain a driver's license without a SSN. Third, many people just make up a SSN to give to employers, many of whom do no actual checking. Fourth, the IRS and the INS don't work together. You can pay taxes without legal status in various ways 1) your employer deducts them from your paycheck, as he/she is legally obliged to do, just as they do for the rest of us 2) one can file independently using one's name and a false SSN or ID#, and the government will take your money just the same as it does from a person with the correct documentation. Some of the assorted amnesty programs that have been put in effect over the last 15 years or so have required illegal immigrants to show evidence that they have filed taxes, and they have done so.
Old May 17th 2004, 6:38 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

got to be a troll
Old May 17th 2004, 8:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I have now been in the US for 6 1/2 years, and really want to make my status legal.
When I adjusted my status, it cost my wife and I basically 2 weeks wages.
Approx $560 give or take. It left us with $20 in our pockets for 2 weeks.

We made it work.

Sorry to take the moral high ground with you, but you have no excuse.

I suspect as you are married to a USC, you'll get to stay. But really, you've taken the piss out of the system and should be deported.
Old May 17th 2004, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Thanks,

David
Sen. Ted Kennedy introduced a bill about a two weeks ago that would automatically grant lawful permanent residence to any undocumented immigrant who has been in the US for 5 years and has paid taxes for at least 2 years.

However, don't hang your hat on this. I see little chance of this getting out of committee, let alone getting passed by Congress.

Not knowing your personal situation (long term relationship with a USC, US born children, etc...) I don't know of any viable options for you to pursue. As others have suggested, it is best for you to speak with an immigration attorney who is familiar with how the laws are interpreted in your area.

You are correct in that if you are caught, you will trigger a least a 10 year ban from entering the US again because of how long you have been in the country illegally.

For the record - they estimate there are at least 8 million undocumented immigrants paying taxes in the US.
Old May 18th 2004, 2:37 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by manc1976
I suspect as you are married to a USC
Didn't see marriage mentioned.......
Old May 18th 2004, 3:21 am
Just Joined

I am not married, the fact is I am gay and I live with my partner here in the role of homemaker, so I do not go out to work hence I do not pay taxes, do not have a SSN nor a Driver's License (although it is easy to get a licence legally without a SSN). Perhaps I should move to Massachussetts.

That said given the mainly hostile response here for far I guess I am now likely to be bombarded with anti-gay responses. So don't bother, I came here hoping for advice and support and have generally got abuse.

I KNOW I did wrong and wish to put it right. I asked for advice not abuse.

I will go elsewhere to see if I can solve my problem, I wish you all well here, espcially those who were not self-righteous or judgemental.
Old May 18th 2004, 3:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Most of us don't give a toss if you gay, straight ..or just shag chicken..What we don't like, after most of us have gone through all types of hell to get her with our loved ones.. and then a jerk comes along with your story and bleating on about "I have not done anything illegal whilst here"... well actually you have!!!
And personally I don't care if you go or stay ..but of course with this revelation.. Obviously marriage to your partner will not help.

I see troll written all over your posting though...

So goodbye!!!
Old May 18th 2004, 3:40 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

I am not married, the fact is I am gay and I live with my partner here in the role of homemaker, so I do not go out to work hence I do not pay taxes, do not have a SSN nor a Driver's License (although it is easy to get a licence legally without a SSN). Perhaps I should move to Massachussetts.

That said given the mainly hostile response here for far I guess I am now likely to be bombarded with anti-gay responses. So don't bother, I came here hoping for advice and support and have generally got abuse.

I KNOW I did wrong and wish to put it right. I asked for advice not abuse.

I will go elsewhere to see if I can solve my problem, I wish you all well here, espcially those who were not self-righteous or judgemental.
I have one, unrelated question.

Is your user name inspired by the movie adapted from Anne Holm's book "North to Freedom"?
Old May 18th 2004, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by lairdside
I have one, unrelated question.

Is your user name inspired by the movie adapted from Anne Holm's book "North to Freedom"?
No..... just "I am David" and the year I first used the monicker.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.