Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Making Friends

Making Friends

Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:47 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Making Friends

Some ideas for those who may be feeling a little homesick or lost without their friends back home.

I just got back from a book club meeting, met a great group of smart readers, I also have a new friend from Berlin who is understanding of the life of an expat.

I found them through meetup.com and yahoogroups. Meetup costs to organize a group but not to join, Yahoo is free but has less features.

I have been here nearly three years and have been feeling a bit down recently, am hoping these new outlets will help me to move forward, maybe it will work for you.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 1:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Friends

I started going to my local swingers club.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:01 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Don't tell people you're from Bradford.

(joke)

I'm just feeling the same as well after a few months...but I bump into people all the time from england..and my neighbor is English, She's been here 20 years

Last edited by MrEmjoy; Sep 6th 2008 at 2:04 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hey that's great news. Reading is such a solitary pursuit but joining a book club turns reading into a shared experience. Glad you took some steps to find people with the same interests and here's the new found friendships you will enjoy.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I sent this to you in Karma - but good for you Bradford Lass! You don't have to be from another country to have to look hard for friends. People are so friendly where I live but they are not transient, so many have friends/family long since established that fill up all of their free time.

I just looked at Meetup and there's a travel focused group in our area. That could be fun ... though I might not be able to convince myself to go without OH. Hmmm.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:19 pm

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I started going to my local swingers club.
Swingers in Pensacola

Originally Posted by Rete
Hey that's great news. Reading is such a solitary pursuit but joining a book club turns reading into a shared experience. Glad you took some steps to find people with the same interests and here's the new found friendships you will enjoy.
And they were all so well read!

Originally Posted by KJ2007
I sent this to you in Karma - but good for you Bradford Lass! You don't have to be from another country to have to look hard for friends. People are so friendly where I live but they are not transient, so many have friends/family long since established that fill up all of their free time.

I just looked at Meetup and there's a travel focused group in our area. That could be fun ... though I might not be able to convince myself to go without OH. Hmmm.
There are a few more I am interested in, wish I had done it years ago.

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
Don't tell people you're from Bradford.

(joke)

I'm just feeling the same as well after a few months...but I bump into people all the time from england..and my neighbor is English, She's been here 20 years
Two of the group had lived in England but they didnt know where Bradford was.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 2:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Two of the group had lived in England but they didnt know where Bradford was.
Near London, I believe.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bradford Lass;6757410]Some ideas for those who may be feeling a little homesick or lost without their friends back home.

I just got back from a book club meeting, met a great group of smart readers, I also have a new friend from Berlin who is understanding of the life of an expat.

QUOTE]

The book club thing wouldn't work round here ....... I can't find anyone outside the family that can read
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:22 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I'd love to join a book club but everyone here likes TV too much to read a book.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 2:42 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
I'd love to join a book club but everyone here likes TV too much to read a book.
Not entirely true... TV Guide is alive and well in many households.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:07 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Not entirely true... TV Guide is alive and well in many households.
Too true!
Old Sep 7th 2008, 3:10 pm

Thats why I was so excited to find there are lots of people out there who are interested, the people I have met are very well read.

I guess just cos we don't meet people every day doesn't mean they are not out there.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 11:53 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Near London, I believe.
Isn't it?
According to google, it's only 200mi. Not a suburb, but not very far.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of book clubs ! ............. I watched "The Jane Austin Book Club' last week ................. I have to admit that I am a real cissy when it comes to romantic movies

I thought it was great
Old Sep 8th 2008, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Isn't it?
According to google, it's only 200mi. Not a suburb, but not very far.
But could be a million miles in every other way, the difference between North and South.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.