Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Makes you wonder why you should do it legally!

Makes you wonder why you should do it legally!

Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Makes you wonder why you should do it legally!

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
It used to be racial profiling of blacks but not it's more and more Hispanic. 20% of all school children in the U.S. are Hispanic and 25% of all kindergardeners are Hispanic....us whities will soon be the minority.

In fact, my niece & nephew's half-brother is Hispanic ....the child of an illegal dad and USC mom.
White and Hispanic aren't mutually exclusive.

There's been plenty of Fernandezes, Hernandezes etc who look, walk and talk just like the Kotowicz's of Chicago and have been here just as long; if they put a halt to illegal immigration and let everyone settle then in 50 years the last names will be all that's left... and maybe some of the food!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That always struck me as weird, some of the 'whitest' people I have seen on TV was in Mexico.

Hispanic - Hispania - Portugal and Spain.

Yet to meet any Spanish people over here, must be a bit weird for them.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 8:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
That always struck me as weird, some of the 'whitest' people I have seen on TV was in Mexico.

Hispanic - Hispania - Portugal and Spain.

Yet to meet any Spanish people over here, must be a bit weird for them.
We have a real life Spaniard-in-the-USA on these very boards...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:01 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
We have a real life Spaniard-in-the-USA on these very boards...
A few!

Boiler can't have forgotten Hypertweeky!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by meauxna
A few!

Boiler can't have forgotten Hypertweeky!
She might not live far from me, but I have never met her. We do get quite a few euros through here, hopefully a Spanish one this year and I will slip it into the conversation.

Just intrigued....
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:11 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

She might not live far from me, but I have never met her. We do get quite a few euros through here, hopefully a Spanish one this year and I will slip it into the conversation.

Just intrigued....
I didn't mean in real life (Hyper).

The Spanish I've met here don't relate at all with Mexicans.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

I was thinking more how they were related to, and how they re-acted.

I guess its sort of similar to the yanks thinking Welsh etc are English. Do they just nod and accept it with a few mumblings?
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:03 am

I was thinking more how they were related to, and how they re-acted.

I guess its sort of similar to the yanks thinking Welsh etc are English. Do they just nod and accept it with a few mumblings?
Ahhhh, now I see.
Not many Spanish are confused for Mexican, that I've seen. Same with S Americans with little/no Mestizo blood.

But I haven't really spoken with anyone about that in a long time. It would be interesting to get some current opinions on it.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

A bit like the Brits and Americans then...

"We leave you here for a few hundred years and look what you've managed to **** up!"
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
A bit like the Brits and Americans then...

"We leave you here for a few hundred years and look what you've managed to **** up!"
Exactly.

Overlord.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:51 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh, now I see.
Not many Spanish are confused for Mexican, that I've seen. Same with S Americans with little/no Mestizo blood.

But I haven't really spoken with anyone about that in a long time. It would be interesting to get some current opinions on it.
It's the same still... people of "pure" Spanish descent do NOT want to be called "Mexican" - even if they are from Mexico! There is a large emphasis on skin tone; the fairer, the better. Being tall, fine boned, blue/green eyed, and having light hair are also prized characteristics. Same goes for people from the other Latin American countries; the more European traits they show, the higher their status.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
It's the same still... people of "pure" Spanish descent do NOT want to be called "Mexican" - even if they are from Mexico! There is a large emphasis on skin tone; the fairer, the better. Being tall, fine boned, blue/green eyed, and having light hair are also prized characteristics. Same goes for people from the other Latin American countries; the more European traits they show, the higher their status.
Same is true in India, at least in some cases when it comes to skin tone. I remember a friend of mine being afraid of what her parents might say if she got a tan.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 2:12 am
Account Closed

Ahhhh, now I see.

Penelope Cruz (Top Totty btw) was described as a Hispanic actress.

PS Having been to Spain and Mexico I would have trouble teling their TV apart. If my Spanish was better it would be by accent rather than appearance.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Mar 7th 2009 at 2:15 am.