Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mailing a package?

Mailing a package?

Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mailing a package?

Anyone have any good suggestions on who to use to mail a large package? I have just been looking at some quotes and :scared: :scared: :scared: DHL, Fed Ex and UPS all quoted over $150 the post office gave me the cheapest rate at $65.

The dimentions I was using were 12" x 12" x 12" and 15lbs.

I am not sure how they come up with these prices? My sister has mailed me 2 packages one was 20 kilos (44 lbs) and the other 25 kilos (55lbs) and paid around £60 for each one. She used parcels 2 go (they ship via DHL) I looked at their web site but from what I am seeing on the US website they only ship domestic.

Any suggestions?

Ash
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mailing a package?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Anyone have any good suggestions on who to use to mail a large package? I have just been looking at some quotes and :scared: :scared: :scared: DHL, Fed Ex and UPS all quoted over $150 the post office gave me the cheapest rate at $65.

The dimentions I was using were 12" x 12" x 12" and 15lbs.

I am not sure how they come up with these prices? My sister has mailed me 2 packages one was 20 kilos (44 lbs) and the other 25 kilos (55lbs) and paid around £60 for each one. She used parcels 2 go (they ship via DHL) I looked at their web site but from what I am seeing on the US website they only ship domestic.

Any suggestions?

Ash
pay the $65 you tight git.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I don't think you'll find cheaper.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Are the contents valuable, perishible or fragile? If so, a courier service may be worthwhile. If not, pay the $65.00.

Will the cotents fit into one of the USPS "Priority Service" boxes (I think there's three sizes)? That can be quite a bargain. The price is fixed and you put as much as you like in it, regardless of weight, as long as it fits in the box.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Are the contents valuable, perishible or fragile? If so, a courier service may be worthwhile. If not, pay the $65.00.

Will the cotents fit into one of the USPS "Priority Service" boxes (I think there's three sizes)? That can be quite a bargain. The price is fixed and you put as much as you like in it, regardless of weight, as long as it fits in the box.
Can you use those to ship to the UK too? I thought that was just for domestic shipping?.

Ash
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Manc
pay the $65 you tight git.
The numbers i used for the parcels size were the first ones I thought of (well actually I have a ruler in front of me that is 12") I was just using that to see what kind of prices they came up with. I will likely be mailing a larger box with more weight in it too.

My sister is preggers and I have all kind of stuff I want to mail to her for the baby.

Ash
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:22 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

How quickly does it need to get there? Surface mail rates will be cheaper, but slower.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

The numbers i used for the parcels size were the first ones I thought of (well actually I have a ruler in front of me that is 12") I was just using that to see what kind of prices they came up with. I will likely be mailing a larger box with more weight in it too.

My sister is preggers and I have all kind of stuff I want to mail to her for the baby.

Ash
I guess it's too late because you've purchased the stuff but if I were you, I would've ordered some of the stuff from the UK to be delivered to her in the UK.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it's too late because you've purchased the stuff but if I were you, I would've ordered some of the stuff from the UK to be delivered to her in the UK.

That negates the fact that its cheaper here! I send lots of stuff to Europe and USPS are the best/cheapest - never had any issues. Keep the size down - there are dimensions that if you go over start to cost - and the weight becomes and issue over 5 or 6 pounds. Might be worth sending a couple of boxes? The most I paid was $45 that was heavy but was 3 days and fully insured.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
How quickly does it need to get there?
My sister is preggers
I reckon around 9 months.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Big D
That negates the fact that its cheaper here! I send lots of stuff to Europe and USPS are the best/cheapest - never had any issues. Keep the size down - there are dimensions that if you go over start to cost - and the weight becomes and issue over 5 or 6 pounds. Might be worth sending a couple of boxes? The most I paid was $45 that was heavy but was 3 days and fully insured.
Some things may be cheaper to buy in the US but the shipping will get you if the linear size is great. Clothes can only be squashed so much!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Manc
I reckon around 9 months.
How do you know it's 9 months? Were you there at conception?
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Some things may be cheaper to buy in the US but the shipping will get you if the linear size is great. Clothes can only be squashed so much!
Well some of the stuff I want to send can't be bought for any price in the UK or US. They are little cardigans/blankets etc that our deceased mother hand made for my daughter when she was born.
Some of the other stuff are things like, brand new w/tags, carters, osh kos, reebok and nike clothes that I paid less than a couple of dollars each for. I gets some excellent deals at work.

Ash
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I did find this after I made the first post.

www.parcel2go.com/usauk.asp

I guess I will wait till I have everything together to see if I will be better off sending it via that or spliting it and sending a couple of packages via USPS.

Ash
Old Aug 31st 2006, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well some of the stuff I want to send can't be bought for any price in the UK or US. They are little cardigans/blankets etc that our deceased mother hand made for my daughter when she was born.
Some of the other stuff are things like, brand new w/tags, carters, osh kos, reebok and nike clothes that I paid less than a couple of dollars each for. I gets some excellent deals at work.

Ash
OK, assuming the baby isn't due till early-mid October at the earliest, ship the stuff with sentimental value by courier (with adequate insurance) and ship the rest by parcel post, seamail.