British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mailing Books (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mailing-books-672585/)

Marmalade Jun 15th 2010 3:52 pm

Mailing Books

Okay, I have probably asked this before, but I am going to ask again.

I am an avid reader, love books:wub:

I am sorting through them right now and realize there is no way I can take them all home (way to heavy). Does anyone know of a cheap or, more to the point, less expensive way of sending them to the UK?:confused:

If it is too expensive then I will just donate most of them to the local library;)

Any input would be very much appreciated. Cheers:thumbsup:

dunroving Jun 15th 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Mailing Books

Originally Posted by Marmalade (Post 8634717)
Okay, I have probably asked this before, but I am going to ask again.

I am an avid reader, love books:wub:

I am sorting through them right now and realize there is no way I can take them all home (way to heavy). Does anyone know of a cheap or, more to the point, less expensive way of sending them to the UK?:confused:

If it is too expensive then I will just donate most of them to the local library;)

Any input would be very much appreciated. Cheers:thumbsup:

Simplify! Give them away!

Yes, I'm the same, but other than my work texts, I'm intent on offloading at least two-thirds of my book collection before I make another move. I mean, most of them have been shipped across the Atlantic three times without ever being opened in between!

Marmalade Jun 15th 2010 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8634963)
Simplify! Give them away!

Yes, I'm the same, but other than my work texts, I'm intent on offloading at least two-thirds of my book collection before I make another move. I mean, most of them have been shipped across the Atlantic three times without ever being opened in between!

Yep D, that's what I will probably do. I have decided I will take my 10 most favourite books with me. That will be a struggle trying to pick only 10, but I will try;):rofl:

DDL Jun 15th 2010 6:37 pm

We recently sent a 12x12x12 box of books to London via the USPS M-Bag.
  • The M-Bag itself won't accommodate boxes larger than 12x12x12, but you can put more than one box in an M-Bag
  • Cost: 1-11 lbs = $35.75; Each additional pound or fraction of a pound = $3.25
  • Weight limit (per box) = 44 pounds
  • Weight limit (per M-Bag) = 66 pounds
Instructions:
  1. Get a PS Tag 158 (M–Bag Addressee Tag) from the Post Office; bring it home, fill it in, and tape a completed Customs form (PS Form 2976) to it. [I print mine out via the USPS website, but you can also get the form (it's the green one) from your Post Office.]
  2. Pack box and tape shut.
  3. Address box as usual.
  4. Mark "POSTAGE PAID: M-BAG" on the top of box.
  5. Bring the box and completed PS Tag 158 to the Post Office, where they will weigh and determine your postage cost.
Hope this helps!! :)

I sold, gave away, and/or donated the majority of my books. It was really, really difficult :( but I only mailed the ones that were super, super special in some sort of way.

Marmalade Jun 15th 2010 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 8635026)
We recently sent a 12x12x12 box of books to London via the USPS M-Bag.
  • The M-Bag itself won't accommodate boxes larger than 12x12x12, but you can put more than one box in an M-Bag
  • Cost: 1-11 lbs = $35.75; Each additional pound or fraction of a pound = $3.25
  • Weight limit (per box) = 44 pounds
  • Weight limit (per M-Bag) = 66 pounds
Instructions:
  1. Get a PS Tag 158 (M–Bag Addressee Tag) from the Post Office; bring it home, fill it in, and tape a completed Customs form (PS Form 2976) to it. [I print mine out via the USPS website, but you can also get the form (it's the green one) from your Post Office.]
  2. Pack box and tape shut.
  3. Address box as usual.
  4. Mark "POSTAGE PAID: M-BAG" on the top of box.
  5. Bring the box and completed PS Tag 158 to the Post Office, where they will weigh and determine your postage cost.
Hope this helps!! :)

I sold, gave away, and/or donated the majority of my books. It was really, really difficult :( but I only mailed the ones that were super, super special in some sort of way.

DDL,

Thank you so much for this great information. What is an M-BAG? Haven't heard of that before.

Yes, I am having difficulty sifting through my books; I love them all. Some I haven't even read yet (which makes it even harder). Most of my books are on Scottish history, so really want to take them back with me. I get really sentimental about my books. I'm one of those people that could spend all my money on books and nothing else. Who cares about new clothes when there is a book to buy:rofl:

rebs Jun 15th 2010 7:37 pm

M-bag details...

http://www.usps.com/international/mbags.htm

Marmalade Jun 15th 2010 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 8635113)

I see - thank you so much:thumbup: