Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mailing Books

Mailing Books

Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mailing Books

Okay, I have probably asked this before, but I am going to ask again.

I am an avid reader, love books

I am sorting through them right now and realize there is no way I can take them all home (way to heavy). Does anyone know of a cheap or, more to the point, less expensive way of sending them to the UK?

If it is too expensive then I will just donate most of them to the local library

Any input would be very much appreciated. Cheers
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mailing Books

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Okay, I have probably asked this before, but I am going to ask again.

I am an avid reader, love books

I am sorting through them right now and realize there is no way I can take them all home (way to heavy). Does anyone know of a cheap or, more to the point, less expensive way of sending them to the UK?

If it is too expensive then I will just donate most of them to the local library

Any input would be very much appreciated. Cheers
Simplify! Give them away!

Yes, I'm the same, but other than my work texts, I'm intent on offloading at least two-thirds of my book collection before I make another move. I mean, most of them have been shipped across the Atlantic three times without ever being opened in between!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Simplify! Give them away!

Yes, I'm the same, but other than my work texts, I'm intent on offloading at least two-thirds of my book collection before I make another move. I mean, most of them have been shipped across the Atlantic three times without ever being opened in between!
Yep D, that's what I will probably do. I have decided I will take my 10 most favourite books with me. That will be a struggle trying to pick only 10, but I will try
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:37 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently sent a 12x12x12 box of books to London via the USPS M-Bag.
  • The M-Bag itself won't accommodate boxes larger than 12x12x12, but you can put more than one box in an M-Bag
  • Cost: 1-11 lbs = $35.75; Each additional pound or fraction of a pound = $3.25
  • Weight limit (per box) = 44 pounds
  • Weight limit (per M-Bag) = 66 pounds
Instructions:
  1. Get a PS Tag 158 (M–Bag Addressee Tag) from the Post Office; bring it home, fill it in, and tape a completed Customs form (PS Form 2976) to it. [I print mine out via the USPS website, but you can also get the form (it's the green one) from your Post Office.]
  2. Pack box and tape shut.
  3. Address box as usual.
  4. Mark "POSTAGE PAID: M-BAG" on the top of box.
  5. Bring the box and completed PS Tag 158 to the Post Office, where they will weigh and determine your postage cost.
Hope this helps!!

I sold, gave away, and/or donated the majority of my books. It was really, really difficult but I only mailed the ones that were super, super special in some sort of way.
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
We recently sent a 12x12x12 box of books to London via the USPS M-Bag.
  • The M-Bag itself won't accommodate boxes larger than 12x12x12, but you can put more than one box in an M-Bag
  • Cost: 1-11 lbs = $35.75; Each additional pound or fraction of a pound = $3.25
  • Weight limit (per box) = 44 pounds
  • Weight limit (per M-Bag) = 66 pounds
Instructions:
  1. Get a PS Tag 158 (M–Bag Addressee Tag) from the Post Office; bring it home, fill it in, and tape a completed Customs form (PS Form 2976) to it. [I print mine out via the USPS website, but you can also get the form (it's the green one) from your Post Office.]
  2. Pack box and tape shut.
  3. Address box as usual.
  4. Mark "POSTAGE PAID: M-BAG" on the top of box.
  5. Bring the box and completed PS Tag 158 to the Post Office, where they will weigh and determine your postage cost.
Hope this helps!!

I sold, gave away, and/or donated the majority of my books. It was really, really difficult but I only mailed the ones that were super, super special in some sort of way.
DDL,

Thank you so much for this great information. What is an M-BAG? Haven't heard of that before.

Yes, I am having difficulty sifting through my books; I love them all. Some I haven't even read yet (which makes it even harder). Most of my books are on Scottish history, so really want to take them back with me. I get really sentimental about my books. I'm one of those people that could spend all my money on books and nothing else. Who cares about new clothes when there is a book to buy
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

M-bag details...

http://www.usps.com/international/mbags.htm
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rebs
I see - thank you so much