British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Mail Service From UK To US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/mail-service-uk-us-762440/)

StephieFaith83 Jun 21st 2012 4:43 pm

Mail Service From UK To US

It's my birthday tomorrow and my Mum mailed me 2 birthday cards, one from her and one from my brother. The one from my brother arrived in 4 days, the one from her still ain't here. Last year one of my cards was missing too. Anyone have any experiences like this with getting mail from the UK?

SanDiegogirl Jun 21st 2012 4:56 pm

Re: Mail Service From UK To US

Sometimes you do get unusual glitches.

My sister and family send me birthday cards. Usually they are here within the week but last year one of them took 2 weeks to arrive. No explanation really, it had the correct address and postage on it.

One Christmas a small parcel took over a month to arrive - again it had the correct address and postage.

StephieFaith83 Jun 21st 2012 4:58 pm

When DH and I were long distance, a Christmas card he sent me ended up in Bermuda. I got it after 5 weeks. It's just awful, I miss my family and it's nice getting their cards to open on my birthday. The mail service I've found is completely unreliable lately, unless you have tracking or an expedited service.

Anian Jun 21st 2012 6:13 pm

My family has posted several cards into the same postbox at the same time, one item takes an extra few days to arrive for no apparent reason. Happens quite a lot.

Bob Jun 21st 2012 7:45 pm

Luck of the draw.

Definitely found in bound mail generally to arrive pretty decently over all. Sometimes parcels take a little longer.

Out bound has been a lot more hit or miss, but generally gets there though.

Bink Jun 21st 2012 9:28 pm

My sister sent me a gift when I first moved over and she received it back something like 7 months later!! :eek: NO idea what happened there... We'd given up on it by that point.

On the whole though, it does seem to get here in a reasonable amount of time.

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 21st 2012 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 10131351)
It's my birthday tomorrow and my Mum mailed me 2 birthday cards, one from her and one from my brother. The one from my brother arrived in 4 days, the one from her still ain't here. Last year one of my cards was missing too. Anyone have any experiences like this with getting mail from the UK?

Happy Birthday. Hope you enjoy your day!:thumbsup:

Peter525839 Jun 22nd 2012 5:23 pm

Our friends sent a small package last October from Sheffield. It arrived in Boston in April. What made it even funnier was they included a Christmas card

redarmy990 Jun 22nd 2012 5:41 pm

ive found if you pay and have airmail sticker on it gets to usa in around 4 days, without airmail normally 2 weeks

Bob Jun 22nd 2012 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by redarmy990 (Post 10133552)
ive found if you pay and have airmail sticker on it gets to usa in around 4 days, without airmail normally 2 weeks

That's funny because it shouldn't make any difference as it is all air mail anyway...

StephieFaith83 Jul 10th 2012 5:31 pm

I sent 2 packages to the UK on July 2nd, they aren't there yet.

I sent a package to the UK on July 5th, it got there today.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason at all.

AmerLisa Jul 10th 2012 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by StephieFaith83 (Post 10131351)

We usually get packages and cards with no problems. But my daughter mailed a card to us a few years back that took a couple of months to appear. :confused:

StephieFaith83 Jul 10th 2012 6:15 pm

I've started using Moonpig.com for birthday cards etc. As the cards are produced in the UK and mailed from the UK, it's much more reliable. My family have started using them this way too now, they are dispatched from Jersey. We haven't had any issues yet. I hate international mail with a passion, it's expensive, unreliable and I'm going to do everything I can from now to avoid it at all costs...

HighCountry Jul 11th 2012 1:06 am

I try to get everything sent out 1-2 weeks before the date (doesn't always happen). There are glitches both ways, though.