Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Mail opening

Mail opening

Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:55 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mail opening

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Well generally it makes them as sane as can be hoped. I assume you wouldnt feel safe then knowing that some passengers were legally armed, having been trained in the use of firearms and undergone extensive background checks?
Not if they're trigger happy yanks I wouldn't, no.
Look at their army after all the training they get.

Besides guns on planes are daft full stop in my opinion. If you want to ensure safety station Bruce Lee in front of the cockpit on all planes or issue air marshalls with tazers - this is actually a serious point I'm making by the way.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:57 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
That's profiling which doesn't always work, especially against terrorists who know you are doing it.
To be fair, with the odd exception like that belgian bird last year most islamic terrorists will have a certain look about them. This isn't racist, just commonsense.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:57 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by britontour
Being trained in the use of firearms are you also taught how to stop someone taking the gun off of you.

If you pull a weapon then you have got to be prepared to use it ,otherwise that weapon might get taken off of you and used on you.
Theres nothing in a CCW "course" no. You simply have to prove proficiency with a firearm amongst other things. However, there are plenty of people that have military/LEO etc training that are also civilian CCW holders.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
To be fair, with the odd exception like that belgian bird last year most islamic terrorists will have a certain look about them. This isn't racist, just commonsense.
It's not a race issue.

If I know you're profiling, I'll go out of my way to not fit the profile.

Plus Timothy McVeigh (sp?) wasn't from the Middle East, and there's been a few others; and of course not all people who want to kill you are from the ME.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:00 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

That's profiling which doesn't always work, especially against terrorists who know you are doing it.
Yeah thats right. Of all the 9/11 terrorists, the Madrid train bombings, the London tube/bus bombings, the Morocco bombings etc there were exactly ZERO who were not Young Middle Eastern Males between the ages of 18-45.

So why do we continue to strip search 68 year old american black men and 45 year old Japanese men and so on? For no reason other than to be PC.

Is profiling popular or PC? NO. Does it work: Yes.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Not if they're trigger happy yanks I wouldn't, no.
Look at their army after all the training they get.

Besides guns on planes are daft full stop in my opinion. If you want to ensure safety station Bruce Lee in front of the cockpit on all planes or issue air marshalls with tazers - this is actually a serious point I'm making by the way.
Unarmed combat Vs several armed people in a confined space. Interesting. I think we saw the results of that in the 4th plane that crashed.

I'd love to see the effect 50,000 volts would have on a planes systems should the tazer contact hit the wrong part.

You could say armoured doors to the cockpit are a good deterent, except all the terrorists do then is threaten to pop off the passengers if the flight crew dont open up.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
Yeah thats right. Of all the 9/11 terrorists, the Madrid train bombings, the London tube/bus bombings, the Morocco bombings etc there were exactly ZERO who were not Young Middle Eastern Males between the ages of018-45.

So why do we continue to strip search 68 year old american black men and 45 year old Japanese men and so on? For no reason other than to be PC.

See the post above; profiling does work sometimes, but against an educated enemy it doesn't.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ironporer
Yeah thats right. Of all the 9/11 terrorists, the Madrid train bombings, the London tube/bus bombings, the Morocco bombings etc there were exactly ZERO who were not Young Middle Eastern Males between the ages of018-45.

In the UK the police got lambasted for focusing stop/searches on certain ethinc groups....the fact that 80%+ of all crime was being commited by those groups seemed irrelevant to certain people.

In the same way during the 70's/80's Irish accented people would be more likely to get stopped and searched due to the IRA etc
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:04 am
Thinking about it

It's not a race issue.

If I know you're profiling, I'll go out of my way to not fit the profile.

Plus Timothy McVeigh (sp?) wasn't from the Middle East, and there's been a few others; and of course not all people who want to kill you are from the ME.
McVeigh was not on a plane, nor was he a suicide bomber.
Surely you have to admit that the overwhelming majority of suicide bombers are males of middle eastern extraction, therefore there is nothing wrong with focusing searches on members of this group.
If middle eastern men don't like it then they should vent their anger against the terrorists from their own communities instead of turning a blind eye to them and accusing the rest of us of being racist.

Is it racist to point out that the fastest people in the world are black men, or to also note that the same group generally can't swim for sh*t ???
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:05 am
Account Closed

See the post above; profiling does work sometimes, but against an educated enemy it doesn't.
Profiling does work if
A) Certain traits are unable to be covered up
B) You are open to the fact it isnt 100%
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:08 am
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to ensure safety station Bruce Lee in front of the cockpit on all planes or issue air marshalls with tazers - this is actually a serious point I'm making by the way.
Not sure Bruce Lee would be any good in his current state.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

McVeigh was not on a plane, nor was he a suicide bomber.
Surely you have to admit that the overwhelming majority of suicide bombers are males of middle eastern extraction, therefore there is nothing wrong with focusing searches on members of this group.
If middle eastern men don't like it then they should vent their anger against the terrorists from their own communities instead of turning a blind eye to them and accusing the rest of us of being racist.

Is it racist to point out that the fastest people in the world are black men, or to also note that the same group generally can't swim for sh*t ???
I'm not disagreeing with it, nor the fact that most suicide bombers (in the West) fitted the typical Middle Eastern profile.

It's not a race issue.

But if the terrorist knows you are doing it he will go out of his way not to fit the profile. That's the problem.

Plus, Chechens (sp?) look Russian, some of them would probably love to blow you up too, as well as other White skinned Muslims.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:10 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by britontour
Not sure Bruce Lee would be any good in his current state.
The pilot could use him to beat potential attackers round the head with. I mentioned him as he is quite small and so you would have room to give him a good swing within the confines of a cabin.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Profiling does work if
A) Certain traits are unable to be covered up
B) You are open to the fact it isnt 100%
I agree with you to a point, certainly if I was looking for some guy that smashed up a phone box on a UK council estate it would probably work; but international terrorism is a different kettle of fish.
Old Jan 11th 2006, 8:12 am
Thinking about it

I'm not disagreeing with it, nor the fact that most suicide bombers (in the West) fitted the typical Middle Eastern profile.

It's not a race issue.

But if the terrorist knows you are doing it he will go out of his way not to fit the profile. That's the problem.

Plus, Chechens (sp?) look Russian, some of them would probably love to blow you up too, as well as other White skinned Muslims.
I agree about Chechens, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak - middle eastern types are a good group to focus on in the present climate, though whether this actually represents profiling is extremely debateable in my opinion.
Still, regardless of your opinion of profiling surely it must be better than random searches given that law enforcement bodies have limited resources.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.