Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Made In America"

"Made In America"

Old Oct 25th 2012, 1:03 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Made In America"

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
And we all know how long they last I mean, look at the French - they are on what, their 4th one already?
More than that. And according to the French Constitution when they've had more republics than you can count on the fingers of one hand, they are to abandon the Maginot Line and invite the Germans to try their hand at governing..
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
And we all know how long they last I mean, look at the French - they are on what, their 4th one already?
It is amazing how many people misuse the term democracy, and I would not like a pure democracy anyway, nor would I guess most people.

The US 'revolution' was one of those very rare situations where it was led, to use the current vernacular, by the 1%. More of a civil war, and possibly why it was not quite as nasty as the more common variety.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 2:16 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
America isn't a democracy anyway. It's a republic.
Don't you start on that piece of garbage nonsense.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Don't you start on that piece of garbage nonsense.
But it isn't, at least not in the classical Greek ideal. It's more like the Roman system, as far as I know. Just matter of fact, no political slant or anything
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:31 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

But it isn't, at least not in the classical Greek ideal. It's more like the Roman system, as far as I know. Just matter of fact, no political slant or anything
Found this pic over at Stormfront..
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

What about the common usage in the English language system, that is what I use day to day.
This is a pet peeve of mine.
Old Oct 25th 2012, 3:47 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What about the common usage in the English language system, that is what I use day to day.
This is a pet peeve of mine.
I don't really care, I was just stirring shit.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

The beginning of the downward spiral of the economy was blamed on car makers in Detroit and the housing market... both things made in the US.

It is completely unrealistic to believe that a person or family struggling to make ends meet would be happy to consistently spent extra to purchase US made products verses foreign made products.

Another question I have... how come only Walmart gets the bad rep on this? If I go to buy a kids toy, that is made in china and sold at Walmart how is that any different to buying the same kids toy that is made in china but sold at Meijer or Toys R Us?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

So where does this leave me? I went in to World Market and although the US said that they were not importing Cadbury's from the UK any more, there on the shelves were tins and tins of chocolate covered Cadbury's biscuits.
On further inspection the tins say biscuits baked in the UK but product of the US.
Now does this mean, I assume, that they bake the biscuits in the UK and ship them over to dunk them in Hershey sh*te chocolate.
Therefore, if buying American only, all I can do is suck the chocolate off and throw away the biscuit????.?
Or can I eat the biscuit too because I'm still a UK citizen???.
It's really worrying me..............
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:35 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
So where does this leave me? I went in to World Market and although the US said that they were not importing Cadbury's from the UK any more, there on the shelves were tins and tins of chocolate covered Cadbury's biscuits.
On further inspection the tins say biscuits baked in the UK but product of the US.
Now does this mean, I assume, that they bake the biscuits in the UK and ship them over to dunk them in Hershey sh*te chocolate.
Therefore, if buying American only, all I can do is suck the chocolate off and throw away the biscuit????.?
Or can I eat the biscuit too because I'm still a UK citizen???.
It's really worrying me..............
Life is tuff sometimes, maybe compromise and dunk it in milk.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
The beginning of the downward spiral of the economy was blamed on car makers in Detroit and the housing market... both things made in the US.

It is completely unrealistic to believe that a person or family struggling to make ends meet would be happy to consistently spent extra to purchase US made products verses foreign made products.

Another question I have... how come only Walmart gets the bad rep on this? If I go to buy a kids toy, that is made in china and sold at Walmart how is that any different to buying the same kids toy that is made in china but sold at Meijer or Toys R Us?
It is the same as Apple getting the stick about China when its competition are using the same factories.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 2:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It is the same as Apple getting the stick about China when its competition are using the same factories.
Other companies aren't sitting on a billion dollars of cash though...And Walmart got the stick because they said they would only sell products made in China.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 3:11 pm
Heading for Poppyland

I like Walmart and shop there whenever possible. For the rentier, Walmart stock provides reliable income and steady capital growth. And Walmart money has built the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, which provides free entry for all.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Other companies aren't sitting on a billion dollars of cash though...And Walmart got the stick because they said they would only sell products made in China.
Did they not years ago market themselves on USA?

I had thought that exchange rates etc would even things out over a period of time, until I cam across cheap tourist tat made in china in very poor countries.

I was reading that 80% of the UK economy is now the service sector.

For a country that must import food, energy and materials that is obviously unsustainable.

Japan might be a bit ahead of the curve as far as aging population and even less indigenous resources, apparently their spend on oil imports has doubled since the nuclear incident, and their high tech manufacturing sector is suffering.

There is a perfect storm coming.
Old Oct 28th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
And Walmart got the stick because they said they would only sell products made in China.
Brand name items are made in the same factory regardless of the store they are sold in, store own brand items if they are not made in China they will likely be made in Taiwan, Vietnam, mexico, India etc. The point I am trying to make is Walmart competitors are just as bad yet you seldom hear them mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.