Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it mad to ship my UK car to Boston area

Is it mad to ship my UK car to Boston area

Old Apr 13th 2015, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it mad to ship my UK car to Boston area

Originally Posted by Mclapperton
.. Client site is in Waltham outside Boston.
Your new car will get battered to shit in both Boston, or Waltham...which isn't really Boston at all...but on the plus side, public transport is doable if you're in Waltham.

So that aside, don't bother. It'll be a mare to insure, it'll suck to maintain and it'll be crap to drive, especially in the winter.

Also, you've got 30 days I think it is to get your license, it's certainly no more than 90 days.

As for nursing, it's quite involved. I know a couple of folks that just didn't bother once they moved here.

Oh and Waltham, it's a shit hole...up and coming and it does have some nice-ish areas and a couple of nice bars and curry houses, but it's really a shit hole.

Well located to commute in from nicer towns not far away though, if you pick the right commute direction.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it mad to ship my UK car to Boston area

Originally Posted by Bob
Your new car will get battered to shit in both Boston, or Waltham...which isn't really Boston at all...but on the plus side, public transport is doable if you're in Waltham.

So that aside, don't bother. It'll be a mare to insure, it'll suck to maintain and it'll be crap to drive, especially in the winter.

Also, you've got 30 days I think it is to get your license, it's certainly no more than 90 days.

As for nursing, it's quite involved. I know a couple of folks that just didn't bother once they moved here.

Oh and Waltham, it's a shit hole...up and coming and it does have some nice-ish areas and a couple of nice bars and curry houses, but it's really a shit hole.

Well located to commute in from nicer towns not far away though, if you pick the right commute direction.
....I think Bob's trying to say - well, if you do make the leap then....
'Welcome to Boston....or ....uh, thereabouts.... maybe...'