Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The luck has finally run out

The luck has finally run out

Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:40 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The luck has finally run out

Originally Posted by rincewind
Chin up Bob. Times are hard for me too but the fact I get to sleep next to my fantasic wife every night is the most important thing

Any time you need a break or a place to come and visit, our door is always open. Unless we're out and then it's locked. Or when the bugs start up. You know what I mean
Cheers mate, I know what you mean, gets you down a bit, but thats' life.
Road trip could be fun sometime though *l*
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:40 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm sending out around five applications every couple of days...so it ain't from a lack of trying.
I would still have to solid job offers if I ever went back to blighty, but we're invested to much on visa and shite to come here, thinking more job opps and the like.
Bob have you tried looking else where ..i mean in other States? Sounds like you're in a small town..would you have better luck if you moved to the city?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:49 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I'm sending out around five applications every couple of days...so it ain't from a lack of trying.
I would still have to solid job offers if I ever went back to blighty, but we're invested to much on visa and shite to come here, thinking more job opps and the like.
One of the best concepts I ever learned in economics was "sunk costs." Also known as "good money after bad." The money on emigrating has been spent. There's no getting it back for sure unless you land a pretty good job here, and the longer you stay unemployed, that will be harder to do (I speak from experience here). If there are solid jobs in the UK, better to make some money and start over; or take something here with the view to its being a stepping stone to a better job/career in the future.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
Bob have you tried looking else where ..i mean in other States? Sounds like you're in a small town..would you have better luck if you moved to the city?
for in town, just the usual shite jobs...as for proper jobs, i've been applying all over the country, mostly in cali and mass though, but even texas..we're on a month by month lease on the apartment so we can move asap...
and this is a city...but it's also maine....there's **** all here....mbna is pulling out of maine in a few years, plus that's the pits...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:09 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, I should go back and read your older posts, but -- what is your career field? I might know where jobs are easi*er* to find vs impossible.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:18 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
but even texas :scared: ..
what do you mean even Texas *lol* yeah you might want to think seroiusly before heading this far South but actually this time of year is the best...we have lovely weather while up there you're under snow and Summers at the pool never lose their appeal
Florida is probably nicer but then they have
hurricanes and worse still lots of old people.....don't tell Ray i said that
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Bob, I should go back and read your older posts, but -- what is your career field? I might know where jobs are easi*er* to find vs impossible.
3d games artist....though i studied industrial design...load of phish that though...
so most work is in cali, a few places in mass, some in texas, the odd place in phoenix and a few other random states.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

what do you mean even Texas *lol* yeah you might want to think seroiusly before heading this far South but actually this time of year is the best...we have lovely weather while up there you're under snow and Summers at the pool never lose their appeal
hmmm...yeah...errr..didn't mean it like that *lol* but there's a few places in austin, a couple in san antonio, and some places in dallas and houston...though i don't have the experience for those nice places...
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:48 am
Franklin

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh I have....any old shite in the area...but this is a tiny city and there really isn't any work going until the summer when it starts to open up...and then most of them are taken by returning students

http://www.cdlhaulinjobs.com/

http://www.cdlhaulinjobs.com/profile...&area=ME&id=65

There are loads of trucking jobs all over the country. Just one example. Outside your field - yes, but hey many of us had to give up our professions when we settled here, years of training down the pan.

Last edited by Franklin; Mar 5th 2005 at 12:51 am.

Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:08 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Bob
3d games artist....though i studied industrial design...load of phish that though...
Austin has some of the best games companies in the world. Crikey. It's hot in the summer, but it's a pretty cool place to live. Have you visited? I could try and pull in a favour and ask a bloke who's worked on _Quake_ for some recommendations of companies.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 1:18 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Austin has some of the best games companies in the world. Crikey. It's hot in the summer, but it's a pretty cool place to live. Have you visited? I could try and pull in a favour and ask a bloke who's worked on _Quake_ for some recommendations of companies.
I haven't gone, but hell, it'll be a job and I'm willing, 3d realm would have been sweet, but I lacked the experience for that place...but then they are one of the best places around. If you can find any other places, that'll be great, I'll pm you my site.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 2:47 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Yeah, listen to Celtic Florida sucks badly *crosses fingers behind her back*
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:26 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Cheers mate, I know what you mean, gets you down a bit, but thats' life.
Road trip could be fun sometime though *l*
You are always welcome.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 4:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Well that link jobby, now have two in the contact base