Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The luck has finally run out

The luck has finally run out

Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:08 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The luck has finally run out

Originally Posted by rincewind
No apology necessary. Although the photo in my profile would have been a clue
but then the nail varnish confused her a bit more.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:21 pm
ImHere

And as anyone should know Rincewind is a MALE wizzard (sp)

Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:22 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Confuses me to
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:23 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
And as anyone should know Rincewind is a MALE wizzard (sp)
Ah, a fellow Pratchett reader
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:29 pm
ImHere

Ah, a fellow Pratchett reader

Oh yes indeedy! I have em all, and most 1st editions with several signed. Ive even got a signed 1st edition Light Fantastic from the original run of only 2000 books

Im a Pratchett-a-holic and im currently trying to see if I can get him out here to do a signing

Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:30 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your missfortune!

However, thumb out of the ass and all that, no time to feel sorry for yourself, its not bad luck, just a change of direction.

I got laid off, the same week as I bought a house, so I know how it feels.

1. Start from Basic again, pick up yellow pages not just your area, neighboring areas as well, look for anything that you have experience in.

2. Time to change that resumé, no need to lie, but you may have to bend "the experience"part a little bit, just enough to find a job that will more than cover the bills.

3. Monster.com and local employment websites, I spent hundreds of hours pouring over monster.com, only to find my current job on a Texas workforce website!

4. What did you do before webdesign? what other skills do you have? if you can just get a foot in the door with a little bullshit, don't worry as the average american education is so piss poor you will look like the brains of frigging Britain.

5. If you can get a interview, the good old "bullshit baffles brains" comes in handy, smile alot, be confident I found the yanks like people that have a bit of spunk in them.

I'm not going to say "good luck"...cause thats bollocks, "give 'em some shit".
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:32 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

Whats the latest Rincey, any good?

good luck mate
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:42 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: The luck has finally run out

So sorry to hear of your bad luck...

Is there a Trader Joe's in your vicinity? I met an English guy in the beer & wine dept. working part-time in a local TJ's as he had been made redundant from his Wall Street stockbroking job. He told me that the hourly rate is really good at TJ's ($17.50 per hour) but the main reason he took the job was that they provide excellent healthcare benefits and he had a stay at home (Swedish) wife and two children to consider:

http://www.traderjoes.com

I also saw this site today from a couple of guys looking for work - it's very clever and maybe some 'food for thought'?

http://www.marcandtom.com/psa.php

Good Luck!
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:47 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Yosser
4. What did you do before webdesign?
AI Technician for a cattle breeding company in the UK

That's always a talking point when people review my resume

However, thumb out of the ass and all that, no time to feel sorry for yourself, its not bad luck, just a change of direction.
Agree completely. I have a few odd jobs coming in from England, so for now, my English debts are taken care of.

Been on Monster.com for over four years and have never had any come back from it. Never find anything in my area for what I do either. Very frustrating.

I did a search around for local web companies (I already sent them all my resume a few months ago) and I found one company that I'd missed and they are looking for a part time developer. Gonna send them my resume. It's only part time but it's better than nothing plus it's a foot in the door.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 5:51 pm
You Are All Diseased

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I also saw this site today from a couple of guys looking for work - it's very clever and maybe some 'food for thought'?

http://www.marcandtom.com/psa.php

Good Luck!
That's a really cool site. I love the movie and the content. A break from the norm
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:01 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

AI Technician for a cattle breeding company in the UK

That's always a talking point when people review my resume

Agree completely. I have a few odd jobs coming in from England, so for now, my English debts are taken care of.

Been on Monster.com for over four years and have never had any come back from it. Never find anything in my area for what I do either. Very frustrating.

I did a search around for local web companies (I already sent them all my resume a few months ago) and I found one company that I'd missed and they are looking for a part time developer. Gonna send them my resume. It's only part time but it's better than nothing plus it's a foot in the door.
Yep, agree with the monster.com thing, it is very frustrating, but I would just scroll through each and every section, sometimes people but a job ad in the wrong section, or you might just stumble across a position that you have atleast a hint of experience in.

Cattle breeding eh? I'm guessing not much of that going on where you are, but like someone said, UPS and places like that have a good wage and benefits, may not be what you want to do, but no-one said you have to stay there forever, just keep looking in the mean time.

Call all the places you sent a resume too, be a pain in the arse, you could of been hundreds than sent in a resume, but barking out your name, might swing it in your favor?

When job hunting in the U.K I used to send off a resume and sit around hoping for a call, over here, I just pestered the buggers, until they said come in or PLEASE piss off we don't want you.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:33 pm
I still love a brit :0)

KarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond reputeKarnalEcho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

LOL He was inibriated ok......?
Actually I painted them, posed him, and taped his eyelids open. I did pretty well don't you think
Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:14 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Call all the places you sent a resume too, be a pain in the arse, you could of been hundreds than sent in a resume, but barking out your name, might swing it in your favor?
One way to do this is if there is a fax number for resumes. Most people email and won't be bothered to fax. I've found that faxing, then calling the company to ensure that my fax got there, is a good strategy, because that means that someone will go pick up my resume and at least take a cursory look.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:38 pm
Never right in the head!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
One way to do this is if there is a fax number for resumes. Most people email and won't be bothered to fax. I've found that faxing, then calling the company to ensure that my fax got there, is a good strategy, because that means that someone will go pick up my resume and at least take a cursory look.
Thats a good idea!

once again, with my current job, I had faxed over my resume, called to make sure that had indeed received it, and kindly asked the person to make sure it got to the HR manager.

48 hours later gave them a call, gave it another few days, followed up, it took 3 weeks before I got an interview, by then I was so frigging hyper it was unreal, I had been on a few interviews built up some confidence, there was no-way I was leaving that office until I got a result.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 9:53 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

8 hours later gave them a call, gave it another few days, followed up, it took 3 weeks before I got an interview, by then I was so frigging hyper it was unreal, I had been on a few interviews built up some confidence, there was no-way I was leaving that office until I got a result.
Now shush y'all let's keep the fax thing to BE or everyone will do it and I'll lose my advantage

Please fill me in on your interview techniques -- not leaving until you get a result!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.