Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

LPR Visit to the UK

LPR Visit to the UK

Old Mar 24th 2020, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default LPR Visit to the UK

Not sure if this should be here or in the immigration forum.

Hi,

I may have to make a visit to the UK this week, due to a family medical emergency. This trip is probably unavoidable.

As far as I can see, I'll have no problems getting back into the US, my arrival airport will be Seattle. I'll have to self quarantine for 14 days on return, but as long as I get back in that's OK.

Can anyone put my mind at rest that I have this correct?

Thanks

Old Mar 24th 2020, 8:24 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LPR Visit to the UK

As of right now you can get back in. Now if you will be able to find a flight, it will still be operating when you need to get back, or the rules haven't been changed is anybodies guess. As long as you travel with the assumption you may well be stuck in the UK for an unknown period of time, and may have to self quarantine on arrival in the UK, you shouldn't get any nasty surprises.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know somebody flying back tonight, but the future who knows.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.

Yeah, there are flights (I thought they were supposed to be cheap!), but I am concerned that anything could change while I'm there. Tricky decision.

Old Mar 24th 2020, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Somebody else who was to go back on Norwegian looking to fly back next week but is having issue finding anything reasonable.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Seattle to Heathrow is coming in at about $1200-$1300 ouch.
Old Mar 24th 2020, 9:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
As of right now you can get back in. Now if you will be able to find a flight, it will still be operating when you need to get back, or the rules haven't been changed is anybodies guess. As long as you travel with the assumption you may well be stuck in the UK for an unknown period of time, and may have to self quarantine on arrival in the UK, you shouldn't get any nasty surprises.
This is a very real possibility IMO - and we could be talking 12-18 months, or more.
Originally Posted by Boiler
I know somebody flying back tonight, but the future who knows.
Agreed x 2 .... Honestly I see this as a 21st century problem (60 years ago nobody would have expected you to "nip back", and you may not have not heard of medical crisis until days later in a letter, when it may already have been too late) and I don't think anyone would blame you for not traveling under the current circumstances, no matter how severe the "medical emergency".

If this happened to me, and there is a very real risk it will as my mother is well beyond the age where they would consider trying to save her with a ventilator, then I won't be traveling as there is no point in putting myself and my family at risk too. And if my sister (still in the UK) doesn't understand that, then that's her problem, not mine!
Originally Posted by roberth1970
Seattle to Heathrow is coming in at about $1200-$1300 ouch.
It's usually (has been for years) $1,400-$1,600 for CLT-LHR, and was about $1,700-$1,800 last Christmas.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 24th 2020 at 9:08 pm.