Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lots of negatives, how about some positives...

Lots of negatives, how about some positives...

Old Jun 10th 2013, 6:53 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lots of negatives, how about some positives...

For me some of the reasons I am moving are:

Positivity - Americans In general seem so much more positive about everything and don't moan nowhe near as much.
Politeness - in the states people seem so much more polite, have time to chat and customer service is way better than the shocking levels in London & the South East where we reside
Weather - Colorado 300+ days of sunshine , UK about 3 days of sunshine...low humidity as well
Outdoors - due too much better weather, as a family we can spend time outdoors with the horses, skiing, hiking & mountain biking
Crime - very low crime levels for a large town as opposed to us spending our lives worrying about our kids growing up in the UK nowadays

....I will miss these though - Family, Friends & Football!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

treasuredr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yukichon
For me some of the reasons I am moving are:

Positivity - Americans In general seem so much more positive about everything and don't moan nowhe near as much.
Politeness - in the states people seem so much more polite, have time to chat and customer service is way better than the shocking levels in London & the South East where we reside
Weather - Colorado 300+ days of sunshine , UK about 3 days of sunshine...low humidity as well
Outdoors - due too much better weather, as a family we can spend time outdoors with the horses, skiing, hiking & mountain biking
Crime - very low crime levels for a large town as opposed to us spending our lives worrying about our kids growing up in the UK nowadays

....I will miss these though - Family, Friends & Football!

Don't worry about the footy - you can see practically all of the premier league matches here - just have to subscribe to the soccer channel etc. I watch my beloved team every weekend, just like I did in England. The only thing I miss is being able to get to the Emirates a couple of times a year (my friends brother had a season ticket and he would let us have it twice each season).
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:40 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over Jan 2010 and I love it here. It's a combination of things for me. I like the lifestyle that I can live here, love the fact I can afford a nice house with a decent yard, I even like the heat (most of the time!). There are other factors involved too; met my wife here, moved over taking a bit of a job risk (opened a new office for my company) but it turned out great and I love my job and the flexibility it allows me. A convert to big comfortable American cars too

Originally Posted by treasuredr
Don't worry about the footy - you can see practically all of the premier league matches here - just have to subscribe to the soccer channel etc. I watch my beloved team every weekend, just like I did in England. The only thing I miss is being able to get to the Emirates a couple of times a year (my friends brother had a season ticket and he would let us have it twice each season).
I actually think it's better watching the footy over here... Mainly because I can get up in the morning, watch several hours of footy and it not even be lunchtime so I still have the rest of the day to do stuff. Awesome!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:41 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I bought my $10 lifetime National Park Senior Pass last year, and it wasn't accepted at the Car Park at Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales..

I know what you mean. I ask for the senior fare on the bus in York and they asked me for my pass. When I showed them my Oregon driving license that showed I was 65 they were not impressed, and charged me full fare.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:53 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Lots of negatives, how about some positives...

Just coming to the end of a 16 day trip to West and North Yorkshire. What has struck me is busy roads, lack of parking spaces, small lot sizes for houses which are very close together. Crowds most times of the day.

Looked at house prices in Pickering and we could sell our US house and get a similar priced one, but a good bit smaller. One of the other things I've notice is how many people drive small cars, and by small I mean smaller than a Ford Focus.

While I know not all of the US is like Oregon. I have come to appreciate the space, the easy of getting around, being able to go shopping with out being jostled by other people. While I have enjoyed my trip back to the UK I just feel I have a better life in the US. Like anywhere you live it is what you make of it that decides if you enjoy it or not.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:20 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I believe attitude is everything and I have observed those that live by the glass half empty mentality usually set themselves up to be miserable. This I have noticed with quite a few expats I have met, and it is no surprise why they then end up so isolated. America bashing usually becomes the national sport and nothing short of attempting to recreate another little Britain will do. Usually fails.

We have been in the US for just over 28 years after a short stint in Canada. Go back to the UK and South Africa (visit family) on a regular basis and I find that over time, as much as I enjoy being there to see loved ones, I am very happy to be living here.

My observation of family and friends that have emigrated have. for the most part, ended up with a far better quality of life than those that remained back in the UK. There are always things you miss from back home, but sometimes one gets bogged down in wishful thinking instead of making the day you have where you are a bit more enjoyable.

Homesickness is a typical part of the process of adjusting to new environs and needs to be worked through. Still, accepting that you are in a foreign place and you are here for space of time, one might as well at least try to make it a more positive experience whilst you are here.

Last edited by Tegwyn; Jun 10th 2013 at 1:22 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light

For me, how about a garage that I can park the car in and don't have to climb through the sunroof in order to get out of the car.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by mwdake
For me, how about a garage that I can park the car in and don't have to climb through the sunroof in order to get out of the car.
Doesn't count. Has to be big enough for one car, one truck and a Harley.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

sanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura aboutsanfranjones has a spectacular aura about

been here close to eight years now, no plans on going back any time soon. And then it would not be by choice but circumstance. I have the same boring job, but the life style makes up for any tedium. When the locals ask why on earth did I leave the UK, I just point up at the blue sky and smile.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Been here since October 2009 and no plans on returning to the UK. Only been back to UK once since arriving and that was only because my brother was getting married. We have had struggles and it is not all plain sailing but I try to remain positive and upbeat. After all we would have struggles/problems wherever we were. Location with sunny skies does not solve all of life's problems but it can help your mood somewhat. My kids love it here and don't want to go back, although they would have no say if we did as they are only 8 and almost 10.

We don't live in a big house, only have 1 car and no cable tv but we live close to a beach, my husband loves his job and we are happy. I miss my family sometimes but to me it is just like when I lived in the UK. I moved to England and they never visited me so no change when I came over here. If they want to see me then I have to go to them, or turn on Skype.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Spring and autumn in New England.

The different wildlife and scenery.

How varied the different states are, but I hate driving here to get to them as the roads are shit, camera's everywhere and silly low speed limits make driving a chore, not to mention how bloody expensive parking is.

AC in most public places is quite nice.

The number of outlet malls, some of which are really nice.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It has made me appreciate Britain more
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Strictly speaking there are no positives or negatives to either country. Your life is what you make it. If you sit there constantly looking at the other place comparing or considering what could have been or what used to be you'll probably never be happy.

Get on with life where you are and make the best of it.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 4:46 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Strictly speaking there are no positives or negatives to either country. Your life is what you make it. If you sit there constantly looking at the other place comparing or considering what could have been or what used to be you'll probably never be happy.

Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:05 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Second that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.