Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Lost ssn card stress!!!!

Lost ssn card stress!!!!

Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lost ssn card stress!!!!

I need my daughters ssn number to apply for her passport renewal. I can see the form clearly on the London Embassy website, her dad is happy to sign the form and we are going to the US in July. I know I have enough time but this is stressing me. They want original documents, so her UK passport my UK passport and her birth abroad certificate. They want me to send that to the US??? Surely not! What if it gets lost in the post! The only proof I have of her citizenship is her birth abroad certificate because I have stupidly lost her ssn card. She has an expired passport which I need to renew and the only addresses they have are in Baltimore. I don't feel comfortable sending our passports to the US as it can't be recorded. I don't know what to do and it is stressing me out very badly, has anyone dealt this before? Last time I sent a passport to the US for processing they lost it!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:14 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost ssn card stress!!!!

Originally Posted by Sabrielle
I need my daughters ssn number to apply for her passport renewal. I can see the form clearly on the London Embassy website, her dad is happy to sign the form and we are going to the US in July. I know I have enough time but this is stressing me. They want original documents, so her UK passport my UK passport and her birth abroad certificate. They want me to send that to the US??? Surely not! What if it gets lost in the post! The only proof I have of her citizenship is her birth abroad certificate because I have stupidly lost her ssn card. She has an expired passport which I need to renew and the only addresses they have are in Baltimore. I don't feel comfortable sending our passports to the US as it can't be recorded. I don't know what to do and it is stressing me out very badly, has anyone dealt this before? Last time I sent a passport to the US for processing they lost it!
What does the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy have to say?
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Sabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond reputeSabrielle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
What does the Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy have to say?
I have emailed them and I am waiting for a reply, I have read though the website and it says below, surely that means send to the embassy not Baltimore!!!

4. I have lost or misplaced my (or my child’s) Social Security Card. I am (or my child is) a U.S. citizen or legal Permanent Resident Alien. How can I find out my Social Security Number? How do I replace the card?

You should apply for a replacement card even if you cannot recall your Social Security Number. Complete an Application for a Social Security Card, Form SS-5-FS (click HERE to download a PDF of SS-5-FS - PDF, 56kb) - all questions must be answered and legible. Effective August 1, 2014 the Social Security Administration stopped providing Social Security Number printouts or verifications. The Federal Benefits Unit is unable to provide you with a printout or verification of an SSN. If you need proof of your (or your child’s) SSN, you should apply for a replacement card.

Provide an original identity document – a photocopy is not acceptable. The completed application and identity document should be mailed to us.

Suitable proof of identity documents:

Original U.S Passport, must be current and signed;
Original Permanent Resident Alien card, must be current;
Original U.S. state driver’s license, must be current;
Original U.K. Passport or driver’s license are acceptable, but must be accompanied by proof of U.S. citizenship such as a Naturalization certificate or U.S. birth certificate

If the replacement card is for a child, we need to see proof of identity for both the child and the parent who signs the form.

SSN needed for U.S. PASSPORT application: If you cannot recall your (or your child’s) Social Security Number and need it for a U.S. Passport application you should apply for a replacement SSN card, per instructions above. Please expect to wait at least one month for the replacement card application to be processed and the card mailed from the U.S. Note: this process cannot be expedited.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

What stress does to us... I found the address and the answer was no it doesn't go to the US it goes to the embassy and I found the correct address to mail it too.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 6:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I was just going to say, it's not that big of a deal, they have an office for US citizen benefits at the consulates and embassies.

This is the problem with visa appointments, the office in Calgary is tiny so if a bunch of Americans show up needing replacement SSN cards you can't breath in there.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

It was because of the way the questions and answers were laid out. It said in the relevant section to 'send to us' but no address. It said in the question below (not relevant) to send to baltimore. But there was a contact us section in the links bar. It's absolutely fine now, I am sending the form out on monday, it just really stressed me out because I was not happy about sending our passports abroad as couldn't be recorded. I am ok with sending it to the embassy, even though I'd rather take it in person..