Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

losing one's british subject status.

losing one's british subject status.

Old May 18th 2007, 12:10 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute
Default losing one's british subject status.

does the US government homeland security notify the british government once a british subject becomes a free citizen of the USA? what exactly do they say? what is on the letter to the foreign office? does anyone know? my friend actually works as a diplomat for the british foreign office, but i can't be bothered to disturb him, just wondered if anyone on here knows.

do you think that the queen will miss me?
Old May 18th 2007, 12:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: losing one's british subject status.

Its quite complicated process if you want to give up British Citizenship. Details are on the web if you want to do so.

Anything you say to the US authorities is totally irrelevant.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:34 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Its quite complicated process if you want to give up British Citizenship. Details are on the web if you want to do so.

Anything you say to the US authorities is totally irrelevant.

no i dont want to give up my brit cit, just wondered if the US homeland sec notifies the foreign office? i'd never give up my british citizenship but the ceremony does require you to renounce your alleigance to the queen etc. i took an oath of alleigance to the queen, twice, when i joined the army so i felt a slight chill up my spine. but i got over it, im proud to be british and american.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:40 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leonatlanta
im proud to be british and american.
so are millions of other dual nationals.

and I don't know about you, but I am no f**kers subject. my passport says British citizen.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

no i dont want to give up my brit cit, just wondered if the US homeland sec notifies the foreign office? i'd never give up my british citizenship but the ceremony does require you to renounce your alleigance to the queen etc. i took an oath of alleigance to the queen, twice, when i joined the army so i felt a slight chill up my spine. but i got over it, im proud to be british and american.
Sticks and stones....

If you want to renounce your citizenship the Queen wants to hear it from you directly, and in writing.

You are one up on me as I do not ever remember taking an oath so I have nothing to renounce, I do not think it was need in the ATC!
Old May 18th 2007, 12:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sticks and stones....

If you want to renounce your citizenship the Queen wants to hear it from you directly, and in writing.

You are one up on me as I do not ever remember taking an oath so I have nothing to renounce, I do not think it was need in the ATC!
LOL! i'm not wanting to renounce my british subjectness, just wondered if the USA informs her maj of my newly adopted country. are we subjects or citizens in the UK?
Old May 18th 2007, 1:31 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Currently, I don't believe that she is informed, although there is proposed legislation in Congress that could change that.

Something most people never consider is that the citizenship oath grants you the right (yes, right) to be considered exclusively a US Citizen by the United States, providing you do nothing to counter it, such as actively claiming or using dual citizenship. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then it probably has no current bearing on your life. (Hint to Bob: The remedy for an issue you often raise )
Old May 18th 2007, 2:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Currently, I don't believe that she is informed, although there is proposed legislation in Congress that could change that.

Something most people never consider is that the citizenship oath grants you the right (yes, right) to be considered exclusively a US Citizen by the United States, providing you do nothing to counter it, such as actively claiming or using dual citizenship. If that doesn't mean anything to you, then it probably has no current bearing on your life. (Hint to Bob: The remedy for an issue you often raise )
the US government has never stripped a naturalised citizen of his citizenship. it's virtually impossible, the supreme court would put their rather big foot down very quickly. has it happened before? i dont think so, maybe with traitors in war? what about that guy whom defected to n.korea during the korean war, did he lose his citizenship? as for brits using their dual, this isnt even an issue with immigration.

Last edited by leonatlanta; May 18th 2007 at 2:15 am.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

the US government has never stripped a naturalised citizen of his citizenship. it's virtually impossible, the supreme court would put their rather big foot down very quickly. has it happened before? i dont think so, maybe with traitors in war? what about that guy whom defected to n.korea during the korean war, did he lose his citizenship? as for brits using their dual, this isnt even an issue with immigration.
I think you'll find as far as the US authorities are concerned you are not a dual citizen...you are an American.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think you'll find as far as the US authorities are concerned you are not a dual citizen...you are an American.
yeah they dont consider me dual but i doubt they would drag me through the courts to have it removed when they couldve simply not accepted any british their n-400 applications if that was the case. there are 13 million illegal immigrants in the USA, british duals are not a problem. unless i defected to north korea!
Old May 18th 2007, 2:27 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That depends on which part of the government you are dealing with. But for most people in most situations, dual is ignored.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:29 am
Powder Maggot

Not sure where that comment follows from.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:30 am
Banned

Not sure where that comment follows from.
big foot? yeti? sasquatch?
Old May 18th 2007, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

What legislation is that?
Old May 18th 2007, 12:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

does the US government homeland security notify the british government once a british subject becomes a free citizen of the USA?
Take a look at the ID page of your passport. It says British citizen most likely.

what exactly do they say? what is on the letter to the foreign office? does anyone know? my friend actually works as a diplomat for the british foreign office, but i can't be bothered to disturb him, just wondered if anyone on here knows.
They don't say anything to the British government. And even if they did, the British government would ignore it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.