Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles in one day

Los Angeles in one day

Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default Los Angeles in one day

Hey,

I'm in need of the experience and wisdom from my fellow expats.

We're planning a day trip from San Diego to LA this Sunday and I wondered whether anyone could give me some ideas of places to visit. I've got the Lonely Planet California guide which I've been looking through but don't really know where to start. Chinatown seems like somewhere we'd like to go (but there isn't really any info in my book about it). Is there much to see, is it easy to access other spots from there? What are the must see spots, free things to do. Would it be best to plan south LA?

I've been to LA before, traffic was a nightmare, it took us about 45 mins to drive a 15 minute distance - so places that are relatively close by would be great. I visited the Griffith Observatory and a museum about the first people to arrive in LA (can't remember the name of it though, something Indian or Native American).

What are your recommendations? Or must avoid spots?

Thanks for your help

Oh, meant to say, as we live in San Diego we can visit LA more than once, so quality overrides quantity in things to do or see.

Last edited by Holliver; Feb 14th 2013 at 7:40 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Los Angeles in one day

Getty, LACMA.

http://www.getty.edu/museum/

http://www.lacma.org/

A drive through Hollywood Hills.

Santa Monica.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Avoid Pico-Union unless you're a big fan of Massive Attack.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

If you're downtown and are into church architecture, the cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels is worth a look.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dewey
If you're downtown and are into church architecture, the cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels is worth a look.
Ok, thanks.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Getty, LACMA.

Santa Monica.
Ah, yes, the art galleries. I'll have a look to see what exhibitions they have on this weekend.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Getty, LACMA.

Santa Monica.
... in other words, avoid Los Angeles itself as much as possible ...

Good advice
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Chinatown is small I think.

Olvera St (earliest part of LA) in downtown is interesting.

Things we usually do with visitors:

Getty, LACMA, Amoeba Records and Hollywood star walk - not a huge amount in Hollywood but the Ripley's and Wax Museum aren't too bad - Venice, Santa Monica, and the Universal Studios studio tour is quite good.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Farmers Market/The Grove are okay if you like shopping and it leaves you close to the Beverly Center for even more shopping. Larchmont is cute, Melrose east of Fairfax is ok, Rodeo Drive (whch isn't far from the Beverly Center) - bit cheesy but ok. Depends on how long you've got and what you want to do.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markwm
Farmers Market/The Grove are okay if you like shopping and it leaves you close to the Beverly Center for even more shopping. Larchmont is cute, Melrose east of Fairfax is ok, Rodeo Drive (whch isn't far from the Beverly Center) - bit cheesy but ok. Depends on how long you've got and what you want to do.
Andre's for local color http://www.andresitalian.com/
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Andre's for local color http://www.andresitalian.com/
LOL: had to think about that for a minute.

That's been there for donkey's years, certainly seem to recall it was here when this happened: http://www.stanford.edu/~meehan/la/fairfax.htm which means I would add the La bRea tar pits and museum as somehwre to visit (right beside LACMA).

There is alos the LA Museum of the Holocaust set at the Beverly end of Pan Pacific park.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL: had to think about that for a minute.

That's been there for donkey's years, certainly seem to recall it was here when this happened: http://www.stanford.edu/~meehan/la/fairfax.htm
Yes since 1963 apparently. It gives me a nice homely feeling because we liked living in that area, much more than Calabasas.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't make a special trip to see Chinatown. It's small and there's not really much there.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yes since 1963 apparently. It gives me a nice homely feeling because we liked living in that area, much more than Calabasas.
I lived nearby in the 80s and was visiting the parents-in-law who lived in Park LaBrea when it went off. It was great neighborhood in those days; pretty much still is though we are about to move to the valley: I'll miss it.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I lived nearby in the 80s and was visiting the parents-in-law who lived in Park LaBrea when it went off. It was great neighborhood in those days; pretty much still is though we are about to move to the valley: I'll miss it.
Scary.

Yes it's nice there. Whereabouts in the Valley?
Old Feb 15th 2013, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Or spend a lovely day in Laguna Beach instead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.